UNT #2 Scrimmage Notes

GMG24

On 8/13/2017 at 3:26 AM, SilverEagle said:

And now to Chumley. It took two trainers to get him to the training table, and he was in so much initial pain that they had to stop once along the way. They didn't look at anything but his foot....not his ankle, and (thankfully) not his knee. When they DID do something (after they very carefully took his shoe off) they put an ice bag on the table and had him put his foot on top of it. Anyone with medical training can speculate on what that means. I really hate to see this happen. Chumley has found his place in this offense, and he needs to keep developing. Because he has the potential to turn into a very potent offensive weapon.

I think if he's out for an extended period of time it will hurt us, but not too terribly. I really liked what I saw out of Pirtle in the same position. He isn't huge or super athletic, but he has the trust of his quarterback, catches whatever is thrown his way, and is a nuanced route runner. I feel pretty confident in him and Smith replacing Chumley if he's out

• Upvote 1

On 8/13/2017 at 3:26 AM, SilverEagle said:

I came away from the scrimmage feeling more like "meh" than anything else. Fine did tighten his grip on the QB spot, but at the risk of sounding like an apologist, Shanbour was not as far behind as some might have implied. Shanbour ran mostly with the 2nd team, and most of the drops that were mentioned in both Vito's and BG's summary were Shanbours  passes. Two of them were perfect hits right in the chest of the WR's.......in tight coverage. One was knocked out by the DB, the other just bounced off the WR's chest (#85). I remember thinking that if Duhon (whom I call "Mr. Automatic") had been the receiver on both passes, they would have been completions. Fine got the best group of WR's to throw to, while it appeared that Shanbour was assigned to train the new guys. Also, if the "tag-you're-down" rule had not been in place, Shanbour would have gotten 2 TD runs......one of them would have been for about 60+ yards.

This is what I'm talking about with Shanbour.  He's a runner... it's what he does, and it's why he looks so great in practice.

And, no, he likely wouldn't have run for 2 60+yd TDs.  lol.   The idea behind the "tag-you're-down" rule is so he doesn't get pulverized by whoever "tags" him.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This is what I'm talking about with Shanbour.  He's a runner... it's what he does, and it's why he looks so great in practice.

And, no, he likely wouldn't have run for 2 60+yd TDs.  lol.   The idea behind the "tag-you're-down" rule is so he doesn't get pulverized by whoever "tags" him.

Also makes you wonder how much they'll use the QB run game this season. Hopefully they can sprinkle in some more read option game. Just need to teach the QB's to slide/get out of bounds instead of getting blown up/potentially hurt for 2 extra yards

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Shanbour CAN run, but he's just as much (if not more so) a pass-first guy as any of the other QB's on the team. When he sees an opening he will run, but it's not his first choice......unless it's called for in the play. I don't see him running anymore than Fine, although Fine scrambles more than Shanbour. Shanbour takes off and runs straight at the line of scrimmage much like a RB.

And please re-read my statement that you bolded. I didn't say that he could have run for 2 60 yard runs.......only one. I didn't get specific, but the other one was a red zone run of about 15-20 yards.

• Lovely Take 1

On 8/12/2017 at 10:09 PM, dd992emo said:

If you pay attention, you will  see why Ben Gooding prefers Pearson. What is the one thing Pearson has that a Fine, Isadore and even Shanbour don't have?

Ben Gooding on his side?

• Haha 2

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:06 PM, NT93 said:

Bolder Prediction:  Kody Fulp will eventually be the gem of this freshman class.  I say that not really knowing anything about him, its just a hunch that he's gonna be one of those small school guys who's just a player.  

Chapman, Boutwell, Fulp  .....  China Spring legacy continues. 

By the way China Spring is not exactly a "small" school.  4 A Div 1. Nearly 800 kids in high school.  Bigger than Argyle.   

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

I think if he's out for an extended period of time it will hurt us, but not too terribly. I really liked what I saw out of Pirtle in the same position. He isn't huge or super athletic, but he has the trust of his quarterback, catches whatever is thrown his way, and is a nuanced route runner. I feel pretty confident in him and Smith replacing Chumley if he's out

I'd hope Fine has trust in Pirtle.. they have been playing together for at least 5 years now..

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Runs are packaged for him (or anyone). Wrote a little about it last year 

Also wrote about plays for Kelvin Smith (or whoever is filling that role): 

1 minute ago, Tyler Maryak said:

So Smiley had two drops this scrimmage...I seem to recall Vito making a note of Smiley dropping a pass during practices on two different occasions. Is it a growing concern or just coincidence?

Smiley's drop on Saturday was a corner-out of bounds route that he had to jump and extend for. He technically should've had it, but it wasn't going to be an easy catch. It's not as if he's out there dropping stand-in's. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tyler Maryak said:

So Smiley had two drops this scrimmage...I seem to recall Vito making a note of Smiley dropping a pass during practices on two different occasions. Is it a growing concern or just coincidence?

Also have to think about it this way. Was it a dropped pass? Or just a bad throw. To me a dropped pass is something that's placed square in the numbers or within a foot radius of your upper body. If it's a bad throw that he got his fingertips on can't really call that a dropped pass.

Point being I think Smiley will be fine. He's a good receiver.

7 minutes ago, Tyler Maryak said:

I saw one of the dropped passes, and it straight up was a drop.  Over the shoulder right through the arms drop. @MGNation92

1 minute ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

I saw one of the dropped passes, and it straight up was a drop.  Over the shoulder right through the arms drop. @MGNation92

Well there you go. I don't think it should be a problem regardless. Everyone drops passes. But then again I don't see them every day. I think if the coaches were really worried then we'd be hearing more about it from more than just Vito.

9 hours ago, DT 90 said:

Chapman, Boutwell, Fulp  .....  China Spring legacy continues. 

By the way China Spring is not exactly a "small" school.  4 A Div 1. Nearly 800 kids in high school.  Bigger than Argyle.   

keep that pipeline open.  

8 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Well there you go. I don't think it should be a problem regardless. Everyone drops passes. But then again I don't see them every day. I think if the coaches were really worried then we'd be hearing more about it from more than just Vito.

Coaches wont openly bash a group. May make generic comments, but the ones that were dropped Saturday were a bit concerning as 2 result in TDs one just a nice 25-30 yard gain. 

Edited by GMG24

Smiley has always had concentration/catch issues throughout his career. My biggest knock on him and Kidsy (I think they were the same class). Last season he showed better receiving skills, with a few lapses here and there.

He's *got* to get over it and catch the next one. I feel like he's going to lead receiving if he puts those issues behind him.

• Upvote 1