UNT #2 Scrimmage Notes

GMG24

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

Offense looked a lot better today I watched 4 series of 1s and 2s. 

Mason Fine is the starting QB, he looked really good today ball had some zip on it and he made several very nice deep throws two of which were dropped by Smiley.  

Greg White is going to be really really good for a long time here.  

OL as a whole looked a lot better, Murray missed a few blitz pick ups just needs to get his eyes up and know where his pressures coming from so he can get help.  Starters LT Murray LG Woodworth C Barr RG Mose RT Mayfield 

Guyton starting to look more comfortable made a nice catch and run on 3rd down conversion 

Pirtle and Lawrence moved well today 

Fine had plenty of time most of the day I believe he was sacked once and had to throw it away once bc D sniffed the screen out.  In a game I'm certain he would have run it and gotten some yards.  

We have a new package where Chumley plays TE and Smith serves as an H back to one side then the other side is two WR Guyton and Smiley org other WR.  Looked solid and caused some alignment problems for the D. 

Defense caused two fumbles and returned one a long way, I could see if they scored nephew needed to use restroom.  

Isladore did not take a snap with 1/2s while I was there

Nic Smith seems to have secured 2nd string RB dude can GO! 

Wilson was well Wilson, made some nasty cuts in the hole and bounced a few for long runs.  

Defense lost the day early not much pressure and Offense drove on them but they rebounded and got more pressure and turnovers as scrimmage went on. 

Last but but not least Miami Dolphins scout sat next to me for a little bit my nephew got a big time kick out of that.

How much difference do you think Bryce English's absence helped the offense or hurt the defense? You mention defense not getting pressure and I wonder if he was a big reason.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Sad 1

I was at apogee this am.  I am not sure what to make of it.  Seems the middle defensive line seems to be strong, I am worried about the runs to the outside.  That is where the yards were coming from.  Fine looked good and is a lot more comfortable back there then last year.  I don't think he scrambled once and he threw some passes away.  He has a nice touch on the ball.  

Not real sure of the offense line.

Bad news is #15 on the program, which is Chumley i think,  hurt his foot and left on crutches at the end of the practice.  Had his shoe off and were putting ice on the bottom of the foot towards the toes.  Hope he did not break a bone in his foot.  He was in some pain.He is a big guy and we need him on the field.  Number 88 had a good practice and made a nice diving catch.  

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

5 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Bad news is #15 on the program, which is Chumley i think,  hurt his foot and left on crutches at the end of the practice.  Had his shoe off and were putting ice on the bottom of the foot towards the toes.  Hope he did not break a bone in his foot.  He was in some pain.He is a big guy and we need him on the field.

I believe it's Chumley as well. Hopefully he's fine. I've been waiting to see him in action.

• Lovely Take 1

Punter worries me a lot. 36 seemed better than 93 but both were very inconsistent. We're gonna miss Keena

Greg White is gonna do great things.

Fine looked the best today. 

Inside zone didn't seem to be working well. A lot of swing passes.

Pirtle looks good in the Y.

Lots of guys in red jerseys. Bussey wasn't even suited up. Hope nothing big happened with Chumley.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1

Offense is a wok in progress. I wasn't confident in much of anything walking away today to be honest. 

-Defensive line is thin, no other way to say it.

-Secondary is a bit scrambled, but McClain being out makes sense of that. -Linebackers are good between the tackles. Outside of Garner, teams will be able to run around this group.

-Isadore was the 4th QB to take snaps today, not promising. Probable RS Pearson was 3rd. 

-Andrew Tucker needs game reps between the tackles and at the goal line. He has the strongest legs among the RB's. 

-N Smith was meh today, but it's just not your day every day. 

-Jeff W looked good in heavy reps early. Played sparingly though. 

-I like them having both Chumley and K Smith in at the same time. Presents a lot of mismatches by doing this. Hopefully Chumley is OK. 

-Fine was 6/10 the first 3 offensive possessions. 5 of 6 of those completions were either designed swings or oh shit dump offs. This is a problem. 

-A go-to receiver hasn't really stepped up yet, though Guyton had a TD from Fine of maybe 20 yds or so which was a good throw on a seam post route. 

-I don't trust Fine. I don't trust Shanbour. Amd Isadore is not vying for the starting job for whatever reason. 

-Pearson is oozing with potential. He's better than what Mason Fine wss a year ago, and he may be better than Fine right now. 

-OL is much better in pass pro and from time to time opened up running lanes. 

-5 or 6 drops from WR's today.

-Not to be overly negative, but my thought process as I was watching this scrimmage was, "I'm not watching a good team practice today." Though again, some days are just more difficult than others. 

-Oh, Andy Flusche looks bigger this year and just looks the part for sure. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 5
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 5

7 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Thanks to all for the reports.  Any news on Darden, what has happened to Chris Myles, who started at LB alongside Garner and Eijya and any freshmen that should contribute this year?

#41 who I believe is Colton McDonald played the other LB position. 

88 & 84 both looked good as did Greg White. 

As Ben said, there were several dropped passes today. 

Jeff Wilson looked fantastic. Tucker, Smith, Hosley, and Siggers all had their moments.

i was near the Dolphin scout also. Don't know who he was supposed to be watching but he was on his phone most of the time. 

Prediction: Kody Fulp is gonna be a player, maybe not this year but he'll be fun to watch in years to come.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

How much difference do you think Bryce English's absence helped the offense or hurt the defense? You mention defense not getting pressure and I wonder if he was a big reason.

I do think that hurt the cause, but not to the effect it was today.  I think it had more to do with the OL making correct diagnosis of what they had and communicating through the stunt.  Make no mistake losing English hurts a bunch. Dude had the 3 interior OL worry about him because he could go in either A gap and the center would have to get help with him. Anyways English is a huge loss, but our defensive front is solid and that loss in and of itself shouldn't have caused the let down in pressure we saw today IMO. 

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

Offense is a wok in progress. I wasn't confident in much of anything walking away today to be honest. 

-Defensive line is thin, no other way to say it.

-Secondary is a bit scrambled, but McClain being out makes sense of that. -Linebackers are good between the tackles. Outside of Garner, teams will be able to run around this group.

-Isadore was the 4th QB to take snaps today, not promising. Probable RS Pearson was 3rd. 

-Andrew Tucker needs game reps between the tackles and at the goal line. He has the strongest legs among the RB's. 

-N Smith was meh today, but it's just not your day every day. 

-Jeff W looked good in heavy reps early. Played sparingly though. 

-I like them having both Chumley and K Smith in at the same time. Presents a lot of mismatches by doing this. Hopefully Chumley is OK. 

-Fine was 6/10 the first 3 offensive possessions. 5 of 6 of those completions were either designed swings or oh shit dump offs. This is a problem. 

-A go-to receiver hasn't really stepped up yet, though Guyton had a TD from Fine of maybe 20 yds or so which was a good throw on a seam post route. 

-I don't trust Fine. I don't trust Shanbour. Amd Isadore is not vying for the starting job for whatever reason. 

-Pearson is oozing with potential. He's better than what Mason Fine wss a year ago, and he may be better than Fine right now. 

-OL is much better in pass pro and from time to time opened up running lanes. 

-5 or 6 drops from WR's today.

-Not to be overly negative, but my thought process as I was watching this scrimmage was, "I'm not watching a good team practice today." Though again, some days are just more difficult than others. 

-Oh, Andy Flusche looks bigger this year and just looks the part for sure. 

Not even close. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 2

I hate to say it, but I walked away from that scrimmage pretty disappointed.  The first team seemed to move the ball ok in the first half of the scrimmage, but couldn't get in the end zone.  The second team was not good in the first several series.  Most of the time they just had to reset the down marker to 1st down since the 2nd team could not move the ball early on.  I think after about 5 or 6 series, the scoreboard would have read 7-7, and the defense never ran a play.

I guess the good news is that Fine seemed to be clearly the best option at QB today so there probably is not a QB controversy.  Let's hope Fine can stay healthy.

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I do think that hurt the cause, but not to the effect it was today.  I think it had more to do with the OL making correct diagnosis of what they had and communicating through the stunt.  Make no mistake losing English hurts a bunch. Dude had the 3 interior OL worry about him because he could go in either A gap and the center would have to get help with him. Anyways English is a huge loss, but our defensive front is solid and that loss in and of itself shouldn't have caused the let down in pressure we saw today IMO. 

Not even close. 

He has poise, a good pocket presence and can work the middle of the field, which Fine has proven he cannot and today showed a glimpse of no improvement in that area. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 5

1 hour ago, Marty said:

Prediction: Kody Fulp is gonna be a player, maybe not this year but he'll be fun to watch in years to come.

Bolder Prediction:  Kody Fulp will eventually be the gem of this freshman class.  I say that not really knowing anything about him, its just a hunch that he's gonna be one of those small school guys who's just a player.  

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

52 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

He has poise, a good pocket presence and can work the middle of the field, which Fine has proven he cannot and today showed a glimpse of no improvement in that area. 

You must have missed the first scrimmage.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

5 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

You must have missed the first scrimmage.

Yeah, I did. This is based off just what I saw today. No one really had a lot of reps, even starters across the board, which is a good thing for non starters and starters. They were interchanging a lot of moving pieces throughout the scrimmage, so it was difficult to get a really good idea of what is what and who is who. Fine, given the reps, is the clear cut starter. I will say that. 

• Lovely Take 1