Baylor ordered to turn over records from sexual assault investigation

Cerebus

Baylor ordered to turn over records from sexual assault investigation

A federal judge has ordered Baylor University to hand over recordings, notes and other key documents from its infamous Pepper Hamilton investigation, which found that Baylor repeatedly mishandled allegations of sexual assault.

---

The school remains under investigation by the Big 12 Conference, the U.S. Department of Education's Office of Civil Rights and the Texas Rangers. The school has hired a new football coach, athletic director and president since the scandal broke. It also has a new board chairman and says it has implemented all of the reforms recommended by Pepper Hamilton. 

---

And e-mails disclosed later that month showed that the Baylor oversight board's former chairman, Austin lobbyist Buddy Jones, described female students who he suspected of drinking alcohol at parties as “perverted little tarts,” the “vilest and most despicable girls” and a “group of very bad apples." Jones has apologized for those statements.

2 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Should be an easy request to fulfill. 

Hey, anyone have any records of any rapes here?  

Nope.

Ok thanks! 

From the article:

Baylor must turn over things like phone records, interview lists and other documents that it provided Pepper Hamilton for its investigation. 

Now I'm not sure what is in the records, but I know Baylor has fought like hell to try and keep them privileged.  

Beyond sports, the harm to the university hasn't been as bad as they thought it would be. Donations are down, but not as much as they feared. They expected a drop in applications this year - the year after the scandal broke. I don't know the exact number, but the incoming class has the highest test scores, high school rank and GPAs and the highest diversity of race, sex and socio-economic backgrounds in school history. Penn State had a much larger drop in all of those areas. 

1 hour ago, VideoEagle said:

Beyond sports, the harm to the university hasn't been as bad as they thought it would be. Donations are down, but not as much as they feared. They expected a drop in applications this year - the year after the scandal broke. I don't know the exact number, but the incoming class has the highest test scores, high school rank and GPAs and the highest diversity of race, sex and socio-economic backgrounds in school history. Penn State had a much larger drop in all of those areas. 

Haven't been hit with the sanctions! Once that happens recruiting and fundraising will get hit. Penn cost I believe with the suits has been around $100m in cost to the University.