DRC: (updated) UNT adds former Lake Dallas, Kansas WR Brewer

Brett Vito

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Yep, he could have been a high offer, high rated player like Fonzale Davis.

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I remember Brewer shut down his recruitment early and was a January enrollee since he and his LD teammate, Dagan Haehn went there together.  He likely would have had a bunch more offers.   Nice addition!

???

So if, say, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Texas, Okie Lite, LSU, etc. had come along and said, "Here's a scholarship for you," he'd have said, "No thanks!  Kansas wants me as a preferred walk-on!"

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

???

So if, say, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Texas, Okie Lite, LSU, etc. had come along and said, "Here's a scholarship for you," he'd have said, "No thanks!  Kansas wants me as a preferred walk-on!"

I'm pretty sure he signed a scholarship offer... not a PWO.   Where are you seeing that?

EDIT:  Nevermind, looked at your article.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan

17 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'm pretty sure he signed a scholarship offer... not a PWO.   Where are you seeing that?

the sportsday link says walk on.  

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

In the link I provided with the entire story about his acceptance of the preferred walk-on status.  A DMN story, no less.

Second time, same thread:  https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/high-schools/2017/07/20/joining-college-team-preferred-walk-good-deal-high-school-hopefuls

I'll go ahead and do the hard part of clicking and reading for you:

"After former Lake Dallas quarterback Dagan Haehn worked out the details to walk on at Kansas, he made a call to Jayhawks coach David Beaty.

'You might want to check out Keegan Brewer,' Haehn said.

Soon after, Haehn and his No. 1 receiving target at Lake Dallas were both making plans to enroll at Kansas for the spring semester. Haehn and Brewer, a potent duo that helped Lake Dallas advance to the 5A Division II state semifinals, are "preferred walk-ons," meaning each is guaranteed a spot on the roster but not a scholarship."

So, not only was he not being recruited by any FBS, his wasn't on anyone's preferred walk-on radar until his high school QB told the Kansas coach...a coach with strong ties to this area.

The story is, then, a P5 walk-on is now here. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

1 minute ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

In the link I provided with the entire story about his acceptance of the preferred walk-on status.  A DMN story, no less.

Second time, same thread:  https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/high-schools/2017/07/20/joining-college-team-preferred-walk-good-deal-high-school-hopefuls

I'll go ahead and do the hard part of clicking and reading for you:

"After former Lake Dallas quarterback Dagan Haehn worked out the details to walk on at Kansas, he made a call to Jayhawks coach David Beaty.

'You might want to check out Keegan Brewer,' Haehn said.

Soon after, Haehn and his No. 1 receiving target at Lake Dallas were both making plans to enroll at Kansas for the spring semester. Haehn and Brewer, a potent duo that helped Lake Dallas advance to the 5A Division II state semifinals, are "preferred walk-ons," meaning each is guaranteed a spot on the roster but not a scholarship."

So, not only was he not being recruited by any FBS, his wasn't on anyone's preferred walk-on radar until his high school QB told the Kansas coach...a coach with strong ties to this area.

The story is, then, a P5 walk-on is now here. 

Guess what?
He's a PWO here too!   WOW!   Not a big deal.

However, it is encouraging that he got on the field for 7 games as a true Freshman at Kansas... as a PWO.   So imagine this as the dude preferring us to KU as far as walk-on status.    Happier now?

• Upvote 6

Coach at Kansas thinks this about him.  I will take the opinion of SL and Beaty over the jaded opinion of one of our board members.

""It's a heck of a deal for us," Beaty said, "because both of those guys are talented dudes."

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Here's the $1 million question for those enamored of Littrell & Co.'s recruiting ability:  If this preferred walk-on from Kansas was such a hot prospect, how did they overlook him?  I mean, hello...he was just down the road at Lake Dallas :-)

So many preferred walk-ons without FBS offers in DFW, so little time....

3 minutes ago, Green Crazy said:

i saw on one of the sites that he had 4.8 speed.  you think that's correct?  how is someone that slow at that size?

nrMt7mY.gif

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Guess what?
He's a PWO here too!   WOW!   Not a big deal.

However, it is encouraging that he got on the field for 7 games as a true Freshman at Kansas... as a PWO.   So imagine this as the dude preferring us to KU as far as walk-on status.    Happier now?

Yeah...tough to get on the field for Kansas being on the wrong end of a season's worth of blowouts.  I think says more about the state of Kansas football than it says about him.  Gotta run someone out there after the first and second team have had their brains beaten in for two or three quarters.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 6

Hairgel Hands/Tech blocked Mayfield due to an intra-conference transfer rule.

Wouldn't apply here because we're not in the same conference with KU.  Even if we were in the same conference, I seriously doubt Beaty would invoke the rule because the player involved wasn't in the KU two-deep in the first place.  There would be no point in it.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/mayfield-still-held-hostage-by-texas-tech-while-thriving-with-oklahoma/

Mayfield/Hairgel Hands/Big 12 rule...from a couple of years ago.  Big 12 has since given Baker the year back...which is why he's playing this season.  Sorry, Hairgel Hands, Mayfield can only beat you one more time...unless you've been fired before the October 28 game with OU.

• Lovely Take 1

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 0:04 PM, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Hey, we gotta get kids here any way we can. When the Texas HS coaches and parents aren't sending their players here that have other FBS offers, you gotta find ones who will come here. That is the hole the program finds itself in, almost continuously. Other than Dickey's one great stealth class and Dodge's first couple of classes here that got in some solid offensive skill players, we pretty much just get what is left over. Nobody can seem to fix this with football. Maybe Littrell eventually does, following the Johnny Jones methodology of building this thing up to being a winner with whatever he can get from TX High schools and then taking in ANY transfer he can.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1