In defense of AD Baker.

ipd054

Great post indeed.  A lot has happened and I just finished a book called Cold Calls to Closing where it highlighted the Drip Marketing approach to sales.  I love the concept because it is constant communication, frequent surprises, invitations to be part of it and genuine care shown by the Seller.  I think Wren & Co. are making headway here.  Positives I see: 1. The graphics make me want to plaster my wall with Mean Green collateral 2. The luncheon is a great idea to get everyone ready for Lamar (and we need to drive attendance) 3. Player updates - I don't get into this as much but I love the player profile segments - I would love to read even more humanitarian stories about the players on and joining our team.  UNLV does this very well every time a basketball player joins their squad.  I get an update and learn his vitals but I also learn a bit about him as a human - it connects me to the Runnin Rebels again and again. 4. The scheduling - this must remain a work in process and get us more regional games with fans who will add atmosphere to the Apogee experience 5. The Battle Flag vote and decision (His doing or not it feels like an AD effort) 6. Season ticket packaging - first class - even traditional P5 program fans impressed.

I posted earlier in the week about the need to get Mean Green helmets and flags into the top bars in the DFW metro.  I feel comfortable that a request like that was at least heard.  Perhaps and effort will even be made for 2018.  I hope to always feel like as a fan I can share real to ridiculous ideas with this regime.  So far so good.

I will never be able to tap down my Urgency button desire because we have much to catch up on from a program/fan building perspective.  But I am down with doing it right instead of fast and where we can do it right and fast, floor it.  

Culture building means attacking it from hundreds of directions constantly, and we are inside the fish bowl.  Se we are not going to see or feel it fast enough.  But from the outside culture change signals are occurring.  Never lose our intensity and keep the press on.  We are all going to ultimately win.  GMG  

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

I mean it's a good post, and one eerily similar was probably posted in 2001 or 2002 or whenever it was that Rick took over. But, I don't do well with whispers of great things happening. I think time is on his side, because we are UNT after all. But there are some things that are impossible to look over even in his short tenure here. But I will leave it at that. He will need time and there is no debating the premise of this post. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Yes, lots of people make a lot of money promising to change the culture of an organization.    Pure BS, if not backed up with solid objectives and measurable goals.      

The message starts at the top but it's up to everyone to make the needed changes, which takes time.

• Downvote 1

Just now, Cerebus said:

You gotta get the message out first... 

I feel like the message is being broadcast out to both the employees of the athletics department and to the fanbase at large. The message sent out by Wren at the Coaches' Caravan I attended was different. There seemed to be a different focus on trying to make our teams better.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, UNTFan23 said:

I feel like the message is being broadcast out to both the employees of the athletics department and to the fanbase at large. The message sent out by Wren at the Coaches' Caravan I attended was different. There seemed to be a different focus on trying to make our teams better.

I know there is a new message, in the form of a new strategic plan.  A really good strategic plan.  Whoever is holding that message up, and I understand that may be at the University level instead of the AD level, needs to get the new message out. 

The fan base was just subjected to leadership that relied on the "we're not telling you, we're working on it, don't worry about it" model, and guess what... it didn't work out.  Changing the culture/message/expectation/whatever you want to call it starts by releasing information instead of holding it close to the vest.    

Expecting people, who have been subjected to ^that^ culture for over a decade, to just  sit there an trust the people telling them to wait... it isn't going to work out well.  

I know people in the AD read this board, I know people at the university administration level read this board.  Get the roadblocks out of the way, get the new message out, even if it isn't polished to "perfection", and let the new culture actually start taking root.  

4 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I know there is a new message, in the form of a new strategic plan.  A really good strategic plan.  Whoever is holding that message up, and I understand that may be at the University level instead of the AD level, needs to get the new message out. 

The fan base was just subjected to leadership that relied on the "we're not telling you, we're working on it, don't worry about it" model, and guess what... it didn't work out.  Changing the culture/message/expectation/whatever you want to call it starts by releasing information instead of holding it close to the vest.    

Expecting people, who have been subjected to ^that^ culture for over a decade, to just  sit there an trust the people telling them to wait... it isn't going to work out well.  

I know people in the AD read this board, I know people at the university administration level read this board.  Get the roadblocks out of the way, get the new message out, even if it isn't polished to "perfection", and let the new culture actually start taking root.  

Kablam. This ^^^^ right here. 

5 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Just gotta wait for that $500k check to clear and you'll have access to all the information you want! Until then just be patient, it's definitely coming! Great things that we can't tell you about will definitely be here, eventually.

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Yes, lots of people make a lot of money promising to change the culture of an organization.    Pure BS, if not backed up with solid objectives and measurable goals.      

True.  However, if people do not see the many many changes the President has made since arriving...and that includes athletics...they just are not looking or refuse to see.  This guy gets it and he is dead set in moving UNT forward.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Cerebus said:

^^^^What he said^^^^

6 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Just playing devil's advocate here, but 1st and foremost what didn't work out was his hires.

How would the perception of Rick's administrative methods be different if we were looking back on coaches that won shit tons of games?

I'm actually on your side for the most part.  Like DD's mouth, we would probably have been biting our lip about the other things as long as the wins were coming.  I just think being completely "open source" about everything - in regards to business models - sits on this ledge.  A ledge where you want people to feel informed, but you don't want them thinking they can dictate everything.   Reading this thread, some of you (not you YOU) sound like you want control.

Unless you do want the fanbase thinking they should dictate everything.  Then that takes this business model into a different realm.

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Just playing devil's advocate here, but 1st and foremost what didn't work out was his hires.

How would the perception of Rick's administrative methods be different if we were looking back on coaches that won shit tons of games?

I'm actually on your side for the most part.  Like DD's mouth, we would probably have been biting our lip about the other things as long as the wins were coming.  I just think being completely "open source" about everything - in regards to business models - sits on this ledge.  A ledge where you want people to feel informed, but you don't want them thinking they can dictate everything.   Reading this thread, some of you (not you YOU) sound like you want control.

Unless you do want the fanbase thinking they should dictate everything.  Then that takes this business model into a different realm.

1st and foremost, that is priority #1 as an AD in collegiate athletics. That isn't up for debate. He failed at the first and biggest priority. Everything else trickled down from that colossal failure. 

I cannot fathom how people will still openly defend that man's garbage, devils advocate or not. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1