Give me your prediction

@UNTSportsFan

Regular Season record   

123 members have voted

1. 1. W-L

This poll is closed to new votes

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:15 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

No.   We don't. 

Too bad the 11-1 option was not on the table then.
To dive a little deeper...  since all games outside of IA are winnable, why are we losing the other 3 games, and to whom?

All games being winnable doesn't mean we will win them all.  I basically agree with Lifer, except I think Iowa is winnable.  Very improbable, but it's not like they are unbeatable.  They aren't even a Top 25 team.  That being said, give me an optimistic 7-5.

I went with 4-8. I fear this team is  not ready yet, and last season UNT had unusual injury luck, which is unlikely to repeat. I feel that this team will take a big jump in 2018, as UNT will have a lot more quality depth then, particularly at O-line, which was simply not good enough last season, and what I read about practices/scrimages is not encouraging either. Before English went down I would have said 5-7, as I believe the D is still way ahead of the offense, simply because of the line, and might have one one more game by themselves with him. I do hope I am wrong about this season though, as it would be problematic for recruiting to have another losing season.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

On 8/11/2017 at 1:11 PM, DallasGreen said:

SMU---- not a dog's chance in Hades that we come anywhere close to a win. Courtland Sutton will have a career day. Time to get bought out on this series as students and players don't view it as a must win. It is a huge embarrasement when we are not even competitive with a team that SFA will hold its own with.

With this outlook and a prediction of 1 win, why do you even bother?  I don't think you have posted a positive thought about us in I don't know when.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

I went with 6-6. My heart and Green Glasses want more, but to be honest I worry about our QB play. I hope Fine proves me wrong, but I have concerns he can stay healthy with his style of play. But, without that style of play, I do not think he would be effective. There is also the issue of his height being a liability (and yes I know this really ticks off some of you for saying this, but take an honest look around at the different G5 or P5 schools and prove me wrong).

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

Super hot sports opinion: We upset Iowa. I have us at 8-4. I am an optimist and am not half as smart as the average football analyst, but I really can't help but buy in here. Purely speaking from the eye test, I think Fine has a breakout season and we're due. I don't have a statistical method to back me up. I just feel an energy. Especially as a new student at a school previously who experienced major football success, I like to think I can tell when good things loom on the horizon. If we can stay healthy, there are not more than 4 teams on our schedule that we aren't better than. To imagine an 8 win season PLUS a bowl win is not realistic, and I get that. I'm just thinking best case here. I realistically think we go 6-6 with a bowl win. But I know this team has 8 wins in it if it wants them. 

UNT needs "The win" that launches it into the glory days of football success, if we're going to get there. Baylor's was TCU or Oklahoma in 2011 with RG3. Boise State's was the Fiesta Bowl. Teams that used to be bottom of the pack just needed that win to launch an ensuing era of success. Iowa is going to have a down year by their standards anyway. Again, I only say this as a fan who feels a positive energy around this team. There is nothing to keep me from being proven wrong, but I hope I am not. 

I really, really, REALLY want a win against SMU. Plenty more realistic than an upset in Iowa City the next week. If by the grace of god we can slow down Sutton, we can stay in that game and earn the dub. Let's get it. 

Edited by llaacy
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

If we beat Iowa, going 8-4 would be a huge letdown.  If we beat Iowa, we easily ought to go undefeated in the regular season.

I disagree. 

Just because you beat one team doesn't mean you're guaranteed to beat another. To note, there are also good teams in CUSA, believe it or not. 

• Lovely Take 1

5 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Just because you beat one team doesn't mean you're guaranteed to beat another.  

Of course.

But there is no one on our schedule of comparable caliber to Iowa.  If we were to beat them, expectations for the season would go through the roof.  And while I'm not saying we couldn't go on to lose 4 regular season games, it would be a huge disappointment after that.

Our defense got bulldozed in the back half of our schedule.  Without English, I'm not sure how that changes this year.  That and the special teams probable decline from the past few years means that field position is likely to be a constant concern for us. 

Probable losses:  Dallas cheaters, Iowa, nutsack, ODU, LaTech, UTEP

Probable wins/favored:  Lamar, Army, Rice

Toss Ups: UAB, SMiss, FAU (these guys scare me, but I have nothing really to go on here other than seeing the players brought in and the name of the HC and OC)

Of the losses, we weren't even in close games last year against schmoo, nutsack, LaTech or UTEP.  ODU and Iowa are the 2 best teams in that list.  We've got a lot of ground to make up to be competitive in these games.

Edited by TIgreen01

• 3 months later...