Rivals updated recruits

TheReal_jayD

Interesting because it moved the class up 20 spots and increased the average recruit from 76.26 to 77.67...

UNT is also getting screwed on the King and Bean ratings as well... King is less than .007 away from a 3-star and we have Bean bounce back and forth from a 2-star to a 3 and back... 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

8 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Interesting because it moved the class up 20 spots and increased the average recruit from 76.26 to 77.67...

UNT is also getting screwed on the King and Bean ratings as well... King is less than .007 away from a 3-star and we have Bean bounce back and forth from a 2-star to a 3 and back... 

Maybe so, but I do think that offer sheets and star ratings go hand in hand as IMO they should. If say, Memphis and Tulsa dropped offers on a 2-star recruit of ours that is bordering a 3-star player, there is no doubt in my mind that the recruit would get boosted to a 3-star. To me, the frustrating part of this moreso is when a recruit is a 3-star and commits, especially late in the recruiting process to a what is perceived lower program and gets dropped to a 2-star. And vice-versa, when sites hold out and wait until an Alabama or Ohio St. etc. offers late and jumps up a highly rated 3-star to a lowly 4-star. That is what irks me about the ratings, etc. The splitting of hairs typically based off of offer sheets do not get on my nerves, because many times it warranted. If  UTEP and UNT are both all in on a 2-star player then Tulsa, Rice, and Tulane jump in the player should be boosted to 3 stars. Not many 2-star guys have 4 or 5 FBS offers. That is a 3-star offer sheet listed and they will be boosted accordingly. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

https://northtexas.rivals.com/commitments/football/2018

Rivals has heard our complaints and went back and reevaluated a couple of the recruits and added some stars 

Also, on Rivals 5.5 is the cutoff for 3 star. Look how many 5.4 & 5.3 guys we have. Just saying.

Also, the 247 recruit ratings haven't changed at all. 

2 hours ago, AustinFromUNT said:

Also, on Rivals 5.5 is the cutoff for 3 star. Look how many 5.4 & 5.3 guys we have. Just saying.

Also, the 247 recruit ratings haven't changed at all. 

The ratings have changed  on 24/7 some (but nothing major) because the class grade went up some, and the average for recruit went up as well... The changes weren't major and no idea to who, but I think the man change was to the RB commit (not sure)

2 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

The ratings have changed  on 24/7 some (but nothing major) because the class grade went up some, and the average for recruit went up as well... The changes weren't major and no idea to who, but I think the man change was to the RB commit (not sure)

They must have done this a while ago then because I did a write up comparing 2017 to 2018 a few days ago and all of the 2018 recruit ratings are all the same. @TheReal_jayDcan you confirm that 247 has been updated to reflect the changes made on Rivals yet?

Just now, AustinFromUNT said:

They must have done this a while ago then because I did a write up comparing 2017 to 2018 a few days ago and all of the 2018 recruit ratings are all the same. @TheReal_jayDcan you confirm that 247 has been updated to reflect the changes made on Rivals yet?

The changes in the ratings on rivals I believe change the score on 24/7 (I Think don't quote me on it). 

Just now, BTG_Fan1 said:

The changes in the ratings on rivals I believe change the score on 24/7 (I Think don't quote me on it). 

I think they do also. But all of the actual numbers shown on 247 are the exact same as they were a few days ago. Maybe the ratings have to be manually updated on 247 to represent the change made on Rivals.

2 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

I think they do also. But all of the actual numbers shown on 247 are the exact same as they were a few days ago. Maybe the ratings have to be manually updated on 247 to represent the change made on Rivals.

Do you have a record of the ratings for each kid? Because its a very minor adjustment that was done (not sure to who, but it think its the RB?).. the average per recruit went up 1.41 

3 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Do you have a record of the ratings for each kid? Because its a very minor adjustment that was done (not sure to who, but it think its the RB?).. the average per recruit went up 1.41 

Yeah I made a post about it here and I wrote all of the values down in a notebook. They are all the exact same. Must have been done more than 3 days ago I guess. Also: Larry Nixon is rated as a 3 star on Rivals but 247 only has his 247 rating not his Rivals rating. Who knows how many other recruits values haven't been updated.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

Yeah I made a post about it here and I wrote all of the values down in a notebook. They are all the exact same. Must have been done more than 3 days ago I guess. Also: Larry Nixon is rated as a 3 star on Rivals but 247 only has his 247 rating not his Rivals rating. Who knows how many other recruits values haven't been updated.

Thats odd, and who knows, just funny a 1.41 jump in average magically

Edited by BTG_Fan1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Further lessening the credibility of these ratings systems.

Oh Ok...How has La Tech been recruiting lately? How have they been performing on the field lately? How is it that Matt Campbell when he was at Toledo had great recruiting classes and how was it they started to win? How is it that SMU is starting to creep back into winning? How is it that WMU all of sudden just jumped out of nowhere into the Cotton Bowl? How is it that Boise St is the class of the MWC on the recruiting trail and then....wait for it....AND on the football field? Just a lucky coincidence? 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Oh Ok...How has La Tech been recruiting lately? How have they been performing on the field lately? How is it that Matt Campbell when he was at Toledo had great recruiting classes and how was it they started to win? How is it that SMU is starting to creep back into winning? How is it that WMU all of sudden just jumped out of nowhere into the Cotton Bowl? How is it that Boise St is the class of the MWC on the recruiting trail and then....wait for it....AND on the football field? Just a lucky coincidence? 

Dude, I was making a comment about how arbitrary the ratings are going back to my comment in another thread about how three star on down players are not accurately rated.  How do explain recruits without a rating number or star applied to them suddenly having one a day after they commit?  Does Rivals send someone out?  For you information, I was curious about this a couple of years ago when Rivals was caught altering a players rating from 3 stars to 2 when they committed to us.  I emailed them and was basically told that they did adjust ratings based on where a player committed at times thus verifying that the rating was not entirely about the player's ability.  It is a system used to make fans happy.

By the way, my post had nothing to do with any of the schools you list and your response had nothing to do with my post.  Thanks for playing Christmas Turkey.

4 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Dude, I was making a comment about how arbitrary the ratings are going back to my comment in another thread about how three star on down players are not accurately rated.  How do explain recruits without a rating number or star applied to them suddenly having one a day after they commit?  Does Rivals send someone out?  For you information, I was curious about this a couple of years ago when Rivals was caught altering a players rating from 3 stars to 2 when they committed to us.  I emailed them and was basically told that they did adjust ratings based on where a player committed at times thus verifying that the rating was not entirely about the player's ability.  It is a system used to make fans happy.

By the way, my post had nothing to do with any of the schools you list and your response had nothing to do with my post.  Thanks for playing Christmas Turkey.

"Further lessening the credibility of these ratings systems."

^ This is what you said. It relates to making excuses for the lack of recruiting success we have had, directly or indirectly. It undermines the facts of the recruiting system JUST BECAUSE we are not doing it very well right now. That's what you did, or that's what you were trying to do. And to say otherwise, is a blatant lie. 

If we were a legitimate threat to finish in the top 5 in recruiting and a top 80 national ranking, no one would be saying jack squat about how the system is "flawed." Am I right? 

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

^ This is what you said. It relates to making excuses for the lack of recruiting success we have had, directly or indirectly. It undermines the facts of the recruiting system JUST BECAUSE we are not doing it very well right now. That's what you did, or that's what you were trying to do. And to say otherwise, is a blatant lie. 

If we were a legitimate threat to finish in the top 5 in recruiting and a top 80 national ranking, no one would be saying jack squat about how the system is "flawed." Am I right? 

Well to further drive his point home, UTSA has a dedicated Rivals guy, and while he may not be able to completely change ratings and they are getting good recruits. That kind of influence does have an effect on how they're rated. 

Money makes the world go round, and people that pay for recruiting access want to be happy with what they're paying for, IE recruiting sites will give more favorable ratings to fanbases that are paying in order to keep them happy.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

So you are calling me a liar by telling me my intentions of my post?  You are an idiot.

When ratings of players are changed back and forth depending on where they commit, the rating is flawed.  Ratings should be based on the player's ability through observation only not where they are committed.  That was my point, sorry it doesn't fit your agenda, it was not a comment on our recruiting success/failure, and to assume otherwise shows your true intent.  You can disagree with me all you want, but do not call me a liar.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

So you are calling me a liar by telling me my intentions of my post?  You are an idiot.

When ratings of players are changed back and forth depending on where they commit, the rating is flawed.  Ratings should be based on the player's ability through observation only not where they are committed.  That was my point, sorry it doesn't fit your agenda, it was not a comment on our recruiting success/failure, and to assume otherwise shows your true intent.  You can disagree with me all you want, but do not call me a liar.

Answer the question...

• Lovely Take 1

9 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Answer the question...

I hate to say it but I agree with this...But I also agree that these recruiting rankings for these kids that are 2-3 stars are a bunch of BS.

Just now, Withers940 said:

I hate to say it but I agree with this...But I also agree that these recruiting rankings for these kids that are 2-3 stars are a bunch of BS.

But it's not. It's usually based off of offer sheets. Which I personally value very much. It doesn't matter if they are teetering on a high 2-star or a lowly 3-star. It's safe to say that another FBS offer will propel a borderline 2-star into a 3-star as it should. We are getting upset that our 0 offer player or 2 offer player is jumping back and forth from 3 to 2 and 2 to 3. A 2 offer guy is usually a high 2-star player. So if he gets up to 3 stars, great. If he doesn't, he's where he probably belongs anyway. And thanks to @BillySee58 offer system that he put together, it makes it that much more reliable. Also, through the last 2 or 3 years @BillySee58 has been coming on here and dropping where the players in his system stack up after playing on the field and it's usually deadly accurate. It's splitting hairs, yes. But, this game thrives on the splitting of hairs. We need to have guys with 2-4 offers (which in his system is a B+ player I believe) littered throughout our classes. That is the way to build this thing. 

• Downvote 1