Austin Aune former Argyle Qb available?

TheReal_jayD

52 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

cant blame him for wanting to join the team that wins the game in fayetteville, and maybe he got some scouting info too!

200w.gif

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Danish43 said:

So I don't get it. Is he going to walk on to the Razorbacks or as shown in the before post, on the Meangreen roster for the 2018 fall season?

He participated in spring in Fayetteville.  He since decided to transfer to North Texas and is listed on the official 2018 roster.

12 minutes ago, Venson said:

Maybe he talked to Cole Hedlund who probably told him not to go there. Hedlund was a great prospect coming out of Argyle as well, but didn't do so hot in Fayetteville. Maybe he told him that Arkansas is not all it is purported to be.

Or, maybe, he told him it IS all it is purported to be...

EA207F3B-06E0-4AC3-BE53-41ED082CF316.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6

Not certain if his participation in Spring ball and enrollment at UA impacts his availability (seems likely), but it probably does not matter since it is hard to imagine him being in a position to compete for a spot on the depth chart this season. It seems a lot more likely for him to redshirt this season while learning the system and getting back into a football mindset. However, he definitely had top level skills coming out of HS. If he can regain his form from HS he should be able to work his way onto the depth chart in a season or two. 

There are huge questions with guys that have been away from the game for a while, but his upside seems pretty high and the risk is pretty low. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

8 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

I mentioned this on another thread.  But how can he have been on the Arkansas roster in the spring were he not enrolled ?  isn't the first step to playing college football to actually be enrolled at said college ? 

What's your question?  Of course he was enrolled.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, greenjoe said:

If he enrolled he has at least lost one year's eligibility.  At best then, a red shirt freshman. 

As far as I'm aware, he enrolled in the spring. Even our own signees do early enrollment (Kason Martin has been on campus since January) but it does not affect their eligibility.

1 hour ago, greenjoe said:

If he enrolled he has at least lost one year's eligibility.  At best then, a red shirt freshman. 

He enrolled for Spring at UA and attended Spring practices.  My understanding is that that makes him subject to the transfer rules, which means he would be ineligible to play this Fall.  Even if he was eligible this Fall, which I don't think he is, based on the amount of time he has been away from the game it is hard to imagine that he could work his way onto the depth chart this Fall.  

All signs point to the fact that he is likely going to redshirt this season, but next year is shaping up to be one heck of a QB battle.  

5 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

My understanding is that that makes him subject to the transfer rules, which means he would be ineligible to play this Fall. 

I don't think that's correct.  Per the NCAA:

One-time transfer exception: If you transfer from a four-year school, you may be immediately eligible to compete at your new school if you meet ALL the following conditions:

• You are transferring to a Division II or III school, or you are transferring to a Division I school in any sport other than baseball, men's or women's basketball, football (Football Bowl Subdivision) or men’s ice hockey. If you are transferring to a Division I school for any of the previously-listed sports, you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship.
  • You are academically and athletically eligible at your previous four-year school.
  • You receive a transfer-release agreement from your previous four-year school.

7 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Even if he was eligible this Fall . . . based on the amount of time he has been away from the game it is hard to imagine that he could work his way onto the depth chart this Fall.  

All signs point to the fact that he is likely going to redshirt this season, but next year is shaping up to be one heck of a QB battle.  

Agreed on this.  His eligibility is basically a moot point.  Fine is the man, and we have a very capable and experienced #2 in Quinn Shanbour.  It will be interesting to see if he gets in the mix for the #2 spot next spring.

My point simply was, he was listed on the UA Spring roster.  He was enrolled, therefore, in order to transfer he must sit out a year.  Not an issue with a healthy Mason Fine and a healthy backup, but he's not a freshman in the sense that he still has 5 years to play 4.  And being on scholarship has nothing to do with the number of years he has to play.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Read the above.

The same article you quoted from has the following information further down in the article:

Transfer trigger: A condition that affects your transfer status. A transfer student is a student who transfers from a collegiate institution after having triggered any of the conditions:

• Enrolled full-time during any term and attended class or in Division I if you are enrolled full time and are on campus on the opening day of classes.
  • Reported for a regular squad practice.
  • Practiced or competed while enrolled less than full-time..
  • Received institutional financial aid while attending summer school.

I believe that at least one of the first three bullets are likely to apply in Austin's case.