Isadore officially back in the UNT QB mix?

Harry

I know some have written him off after a shaky Spring and with the bum wheel.  However, after seeing him garner fairly significant reps today with production I think it is a fair thing to say he may be back in the mix.  Not saying he will eclipse Fine etc but they would not have given him as many of the limited reps as they did unless he was showing them something.  I was impressed with him today.  Big arm and decent speed.  His height gives the offense a different look.  Again, he was wearing a red shirt as they all were but we may have another candidate to consider.

25 minutes ago, Harry said:

I know some have written him off after a shaky Spring and with the bum wheel.  However, after seeing him garner fairly significant reps today with production I think it is a fair thing to say he may be back in the mix.  Not saying he will eclipse Fine etc but they would not have given him as many of the limited reps as they did unless he was showing them something.  I was impressed with him today.  Big arm and decent speed.  His height gives the offense a different look.  Again, he was wearing a red shirt as they all were but we may have another candidate to consider.

He got a ton of reps during Wednesday's practice.. he certainly looks the part 

• Lovely Take 2

Hopefully this is just the beginning.. 

Izzy is the top rated QB in the room for the people that love ratings. He has the traits needed (Size, Arm Strength, Mobility) but now its just if he can get down the offense and be able to get his man the ball.. He performed well in his limited action last year (believe it was 3 games) and was getting interest from Baylor... It was brought up in another thread, but he has to trust his knee, which will come with time. 

Honestly the up-side is higher with Izzy than Fine and Quinn.. Pearson could challenge him but that would be down the line. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Yes. Remove the question mark from the thread title and put a period. It was never in question. 

If he checks all the boxes and is the "savior" at quarterback (like every other juco qb we've had), then why did he have to settle for a walk-on offer at a G5 school?

Best of luck to the kid but I'm pulling for our two scholarship quarterbacks that aren't true freshmen.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

If he checks all the boxes and is the "savior" at quarterback (like every other juco qb we've had), then why did he have to settle for a walk-on offer at a G5 school?

Best of luck to the kid but I'm pulling for our two scholarship quarterbacks that aren't true freshmen.

Because he had bounced around and had gotten injured. It also helped that Morris left, Fine did not show anything to lock up the job and Quinn at the time wasn't grasping the offense. 

He only had 3 games of tape, but was getting looked at by Baylor 

36 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Because he had bounced around and had gotten injured. It also helped that Morris left, Fine did not show anything to lock up the job and Quinn at the time wasn't grasping the offense. 

He only had 3 games of tape, but was getting looked at by Baylor 

He played a full season before getting hurt last year

Here's an article from what I believe would have been his freshman year at Navarro.  Best I can tell, he may have signed with Angelo State initially (in 2014) and redshirted and then made the transfer switch into Navarro in 2015-16.  This article is from 2015 at Navarro:

http://www.navarrocollege.edu/athletics/2015/10/11/isadore-bulldogs-pull-neo-miracle-win-at-homecoming-46-41/

Navarro is a competitive juco program and in a tough league.  For him to have this level of success in his first year there is pretty impressive.

If he indeed redshirted, I would suppose he has two years to play two here at UNT unless he got a medical waiver.

Isadore_Devlin_3707.jpg?width=300footbl-2016-devlin-isadore.png12735404.jpeg

Just now, Harry said:

Here's an article from what I believe would have been his freshman year at Navarro.  Best I can tell, he may have signed with Angelo State initially (in 2014) and redshirted and then made the switch into Navarro in 2015-16.  This article is from 2015 at Navarro:

http://www.navarrocollege.edu/athletics/2015/10/11/isadore-bulldogs-pull-neo-miracle-win-at-homecoming-46-41/

Navarro is a competitive juco program and in a tough league.  For him to have this level of success in his first year there is pretty impressive.

One name. Josh Greer

18 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Not fair to Isadore.

Brent Osbourne.
Brock Berglund.
Devin O'Hara.
Are any of these better?

Of course, if Fine happens to start & Isadore jumps ahead of Shanbour as backup, that would be a confidence-killer for Shanbour.  I expect Isadore to break camp as the #3 guy, and stay there.  Nice thing is, it appears we have enough depth for Pearson to get a Redshirt (which we did not have last year for Fine to get his RS)!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Brent Osbourne.
Brock Berglund.
Devin O'Hara.
Are any of these better?

Of course, if Fine happens to start & Isadore jumps ahead of Shanbour as backup, that would be a confidence-killer for Shanbour.  I expect Isadore to break camp as the #3 guy, and stay there.  Nice thing is, it appears we have enough depth for Pearson to get a Redshirt (which we did not have last year for Fine to get his RS)!

What do any of these have to do with Isadore?  Rate the individual, not the fact that they transferred in from a JUCO.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

24 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Brent Osbourne.
Brock Berglund.
Devin O'Hara.
Are any of these better?

He's getting too many valuable reps to maintain at #3. And he's too much of a physical specimen not to take advantage of these reps. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 3
  • Downvote 1

Just now, UNTLifer said:

What do any of these have to do with Isadore?  Rate the individual, not the fact that they transferred in from a JUCO.

That IS what they have to do with Isadore... it's called a track record.  And UNT has a piss poor track record for transfer QBs of any kind.   The last one who was able to do anything somewhat-good was DaMarcus Smith, and most people though he was below-average too.

Rating the individual    He's a good guy?   Those other dudes probably are too.  I don't know what you're asking.  
All of the above had live arms, nice stats from their JUCOs or high rankings out of H.S., looked great in practices, etc...   When it came time to get on the field on gamedays (if they ever did), their flaws came out en masse.  I was sitting at the Wednesday practice saying the same things about Isadore as I was saying about Brock Berglund.   I was the one always saying Greer looked like Derek Thompson 2.0... boy was I wrong.

Not saying Isadore is equivalent to Josh Greer or Brock Berglund... we don't know.  All we have to go on is history, and that's certainly not on Isadore's side.    So forgive some of us if we're skeptical of Isadore's chances to play. Especially since Littrell & Harrell have spent so much time talking up Fine & Shanbour.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

That IS what they have to do with Isadore... it's called a track record.  And UNT has a piss poor track record for transfer QBs of any kind.   The last one who was able to do anything somewhat-good was DaMarcus Smith, and most people though he was below-average too.

Rating the individual    He's a good guy?   Those other dudes probably are too.  I don't know what you're asking.  
All of the above had live arms, nice stats from their JUCOs or high rankings out of H.S., looked great in practices, etc...   When it came time to get on the field on gamedays (if they ever did), their flaws came out en masse.  I was sitting at the Wednesday practice saying the same things about Isadore as I was saying about Brock Berglund.   I was the one always saying Greer looked like Derek Thompson 2.0... boy was I wrong.

Not saying Isadore is equivalent to Josh Greer or Brock Berglund... we don't know.  All we have to go on is history, and that's certainly not on Isadore's side.    So forgive some of us if we're skeptical of Isadore's chances to play. Especially since Littrell & Harrell have spent so much time talking up Fine & Shanbour.

This is a horribly flawed argument. 

43 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think it is pretty clear.  You don't prejudge the young man just because he came the JUCO route, you judge the individual and how he performs.  Every one that you mentioned that has played in any games was brought in by the last staff.  To me, that is an indictment on their ability to judge ability/talent.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

I think it is pretty clear.  You don't prejudge the young man just because he came the JUCO route, you judge the individual and how he performs.  Every one that you mentioned that has played in any games was brought in by the last staff.  To me, that is an indictment on their ability to judge ability/talent.

Nice way to cut out O'Hara there... lol. 
He also happens to be an indictment on the current coaches.
Not worth arguing anymore.   Coach Littrell has already eliminated Isadore from the race.  He all but said so verbatim... on camera.
I hope Isadore continues to work hard, because if the two dudes ahead of him go down, which is entirely possible, he will be called upon (hopefully).   And when Shanbour graduates after this season, he'll have quite a bit of time in the system and working with the team to win the backup job ahead of Pearson.

• Upvote 1

To me, O'Hara was brought in for depth only.  Once Littrell arrived and realized what he had to work with, he went and signed Fine and found an available JUCO for depth.  I would argue that Berglund and Osborne were brought in to play and compete for the starting spot by a staff that had been in place a couple of years.  Either way, you don't eliminate someone because they took the JUCO route, you should evaluate the player.  Based on your opinion, we would have dismissed people like Cam Newton and Colt Brennan.

Interesting article from Athlon Sports.  Look who is #14.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-top-20-impact-juco-transfer-quarterbacks-2017

• Lovely Take 1

On 8/6/2017 at 8:14 AM, MeanGreenZen said:

I am so excited for the day when our starting QB race isn't between a bunch of walk-ons.

This...plus, when the race is among three or four kids who had multiple FBS offers when they signed.  We've got a bunch of kids that FBS coaches didn't even consider.  With some, no FCS schools/coaches were takers either. 

But...here they are...in Denton.