Mason Fine vs Quinn Shanbour

AustinFromUNT

Now, let's have a thoughtful discussion on who should start and WHY. The two major options are Mason Fine (returning starter) and Quinn Shanbour. However, if you think Cade Pearson is going to steal the job somehow feel free to make an argument here. I think Mason Fine should and will be the starter this fall, here's why: 1) Mason has more game experience than Shanbour. Yes, Shanbour has been around longer, but Mason actually has real game experience which counts for a lot. 2) Mason has more eligibility left than Shanbour, it's more important to get him experience than Shanbour. 3) I think Mason has a higher ceiling than Shanbour because Mason was able to put up a decent season as a true freshman while Shanbour has only played in one game his entire collegiate career, showing staffs think he just isn't ready yet, and if he's not ready now then when? 4) Mason has the trust of the team where as Shanbour does not. Example:

Hambone thinks Mason is going to be the starter and he believes Mason can win. That means a lot to me and it means a lot for team confidence. What say you, members of the board?

• Lovely Take 1

popcorn dot gif

Among four year starters in the last 10 seasons, Fine's stats were nearly average among freshmen QBs.

Not a bad start, and he's historically got a good shot - at minimum - maintaining average. If he makes a jump from one year to the next, well that's gravy.

In other words, Pearson and Shanbour have to perform better than average to beat him out. Are they?

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1

57 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

Now, let's have a thoughtful discussion on who should start and WHY. The two major options are Mason Fine (returning starter) and Quinn Shanbour. However, if you think Cade Pearson is going to steal the job somehow feel free to make an argument here. I think Mason Fine should and will be the starter this fall, here's why: 1) Mason has more game experience than Shanbour. Yes, Shanbour has been around longer, but Mason actually has real game experience which counts for a lot. 2) Mason has more eligibility left than Shanbour, it's more important to get him experience than Shanbour. 3) I think Mason has a higher ceiling than Shanbour because Mason was able to put up a decent season as a true freshman while Shanbour has only played in one game his entire collegiate career, showing staffs think he just isn't ready yet, and if he's not ready now then when? 4) Mason has the trust of the team where as Shanbour does not...

a02f4ea831f1f6d0fbbe5a31047269b5.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, AustinFromUNT said:

Now, let's have a thoughtful discussion on who should start and WHY. The two major options are Mason Fine (returning starter) and Quinn Shanbour. However, if you think Cade Pearson is going to steal the job somehow feel free to make an argument here. I think Mason Fine should and will be the starter this fall, here's why: 1) Mason has more game experience than Shanbour. Yes, Shanbour has been around longer, but Mason actually has real game experience which counts for a lot. 2) Mason has more eligibility left than Shanbour, it's more important to get him experience than Shanbour. 3) I think Mason has a higher ceiling than Shanbour because Mason was able to put up a decent season as a true freshman while Shanbour has only played in one game his entire collegiate career, showing staffs think he just isn't ready yet, and if he's not ready now then when? 4) Mason has the trust of the team where as Shanbour does not. Example:

Hambone thinks Mason is going to be the starter and he believes Mason can win. That means a lot to me and it means a lot for team confidence. What say you, members of the board?

While I agree with you that Mason should and will likely be the starter, to give the thread a reason for existence I will make the counter argument. That and Quinn is my adopted player so I have to back him up.

1. Shanbour is more mature than Mason both physically and mentally.

2.. Shanbour is slightly taller and appears to have a bigger build which may make him slightly more durable.

3. Fine is coming off a shoulder injury and may be hesitant to let it rip or fight for that extra yard.

4. Quinn works with qb guru Joe Dickinson at DeBartolo quarterback academy when not with the Mean Green.

5. Quinn is on the leadership counciil.

6. You don't get a medical redshirt for a quarterback you don't intend to use.

7. Quinn helped coach at Harrell Passing Camp this year.

8 and most importantly. I want another @Quoner

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 5:41 PM, greenminer said:

Shanbour has been improving every year, yes?

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 5:50 PM, AustinFromUNT said:

Further explanation please?

IMHO , Shanbours skill-set as a QB is pretty much the same as when he arrived on campus. The difference now is that he has recovered from turf toe, which has added "mobility" to his skill-set. Plus he has been assessed by a different coach, who gave him a fair chance. We'll know in two or three weeks how well he has improved. But so far, going from "never heard of this guy" to second team is pretty impressive.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

I think Fine will be our starter.  What I hope is that in certain games this year, should be build a substantial margin by the 3rd quarter or early 4th, we could see Shanbour and another QB(Pearson?) receive a decent amount of playing time.

Other than Lamar what games do you see us building a substantial lead?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, DeepGreen said:

Legitimate question.  Let's say "should we build" a decent lead in any of our games, give Shanbour and Pearson, or whoever, playing time.

Let's say Mason starts against Lamar and builds a 21-28 point lead, do you pull him and let backup get some reps or do you keep him in and let him play a full game to prep for SMU.

4 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

Let's say Mason starts against Lamar and builds a 21-28 point lead, do you pull him and let backup get some reps or do you keep him in and let him play a full game to prep for SMU.

You pull him before Q4. That gives him plenty of reps and still reduces the chance of injury in the meaningless minutes at the end of a game firmly in hand.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

If we're tied or worse with an FCS team after 3 quarters then it's very likely he is a big part of why we don't have a comfortable lead.

This doesn't even register as a possibility on my radar. Littrell has too much to lose to have that happen. The team quit on Mac or quit on us in protest of his firing vs PSU, I'm not sure which. That won't happen with this staff.

11 minutes ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

Watched a bit of the scrimmage today. Quinn looked better that Fine did for what I saw.  Mason had the defensive line in his lap nearly every play.  Shanbour actually moved the ball

Were they running against the same D? Or was Quinn running vs the 2s?

16 minutes ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

Watched a bit of the scrimmage today. Quinn looked better that Fine did for what I saw.  Mason had the defensive line in his lap nearly every play.  Shanbour actually moved the ball

After you left Mason threw 4-5 really nice balls, one was a TD that Greg White dropped.  Overall I think Shanbour had a little bit better day, but it seemed to me like they heated Fine up more than Shanbour. 

4 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

This doesn't even register as a possibility on my radar. Littrell has too much to lose to have that happen. The team quit on Mac or quit on us in protest of his firing vs PSU, I'm not sure which. That won't happen with this staff.

Were they running against the same D? Or was Quinn running vs the 2s?

Quinn ran vs the 2's most of the day but also ran the 1's offensive hudl a few series.  

Devlin Isadore has an absolute rocket arm, he overthrew a ball to Darden which I did not think was possible by 5-10 yards.  Isadore also looks the part, if he can learn the system in 3 weeks then he's got a shot if not then it is between Fine/Shanbour. 

Edited by GMG24
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1