Prized 5 star recruit leaves Western Kentucky

Surprised nobody has posted this. WKU's 5 star center Mitchell Robinson that signed this past class has left. My understanding is he started summer classes but has left after 2 weeks and will most likely seek a transfer. Three of WKU's assistants including Robinson's godfather are no longer on the WKU staff.

Hopefully I posted this in the correct forum...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-basketball/2017/7/28/16057362/mitchell-robinson-leaves-western-kentucky-nba-draft

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Not a big surprise.  You hire someone to sway a recruit and then get rid of them is not a formula for success.  Even without him they signed an outstanding class, makes you wonder if they were recruited in a similar way and there maybe others to follow.  

I suspect this class has got a lot of attention from the NCAA.  CUSA teams are not supposed to sign the players they have. 

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, this crazy head case has flipped again.

Former high school star Mitchell Robinson will bypass college and begin training for next year’s NBA Draft, he tells Scout.

“I’ve decided to leave Western Kentucky and just focus on next year’s NBA Draft,” Robinson said. “I want to thank Western Kentucky, the coaching staff, the fans and my teammates, but I decided to pursue a professional career.”

The decision comes three weeks after Robinson, a 7-footer big man out of Chalmette (La.) High, opted to re-enroll at Western Kentucky. Robinson left Western Kentucky’s campus earlier this week, returning to his home in Louisiana, before coming to this decision.

Robinson’s plan is to move to Dallas (Tex.) and begin his preparation for next year's draft by regularly working out with a professional basketball trainer. 

http://scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Five-star-big-man-Mitchell-Robinson-will-bypass-college-begin-tr-107602754

5 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Straight to the D-League, that's if he gets drafted. 

At this time, he's projected to be drafted somewhere in the middle of the 1st round. (Maybe higher) Don't think he will spend a day in the D- league (G-league) as bad as the NBA need good centers. 

Good that he is  not wasting a college's time, although late in the process,  when it is clear college is not priority at this time. 

Edited by Cooley
  • Upvote 1

You can be drafted in the 1st- round and still play in the D-league. The kid is 19 years old going into the draft never playing a minute of college ball. If he goes in the mid first round like you say he is there is no rush to play him so young....hence the D-league, no need to waste a roster spot on a kid that has only played against high school kids. In any case good luck to him.  

• Downvote 1