McCasland Mic'd Up

Caw Caw

9 minutes ago, Caw Caw said:

I saw a lot of Benford practices in my time at UNT. This is not what they looked like and not how the players were coached. I'm finally starting to let a little excitement creep in about Mean Green Basketball.

Hard not to be excited!  

What is the theory in practicing free throws in college ?  Is it something that you've either got or you don or do college teams practice free throws ?  At my high school, back in the 60s, players had to get to school early enough to hit 100 free throws before the first bell.  Is that an old fashioned practice technique ? 

28 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

What is the theory in practicing free throws in college ?  Is it something that you've either got or you don or do college teams practice free throws ?  At my high school, back in the 60s, players had to get to school early enough to hit 100 free throws before the first bell.  Is that an old fashioned practice technique ? 

A big part of shooting free throws is muscle memory. 

3 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

A big part of shooting free throws is muscle memory. 

Dr. Vingren (sp) would disagree learned in my exercise physiology class that just isn't the case.  Blocked practice yields worse results than random practice.  We discussed and there's some science behind shooting a few in front of FT line a few behind and a few in the FT line.  Keeping it random.  All you're working on is your form, just from a specific line.  Anyway carry on. 

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

Dr. Vingren (sp) would disagree learned in my exercise physiology class that just isn't the case.  Blocked practice yields worse results than random practice.  We discussed and there's some science behind shooting a few in front of FT line a few behind and a few in the FT line.  Keeping it random.  All you're working on is your form, just from a specific line.  Anyway carry on. 

Probably a bit of both. 

• 2 weeks later...

i watched it again and two words stuck out to me, "keep moving".  I watch the few years was amazed how our guys just stood around.  I know it was not the players because it was team wide problem.  It was a coaching problem, nice to see we will be moving.  I think the only play we had in the past was one guy dribble to the basket and do a layup or dunk.  Never did I see a player stop and take a short jumper.  We had so many blocked shots against us.  I really think we can only get better from here.  Even though this year we will be th Akr state university at Denton.   

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 1

I agree with what you said except the last sentence.  I believe that North Texas leads the player roster and commitments by 1 (well, actually 3 when walkons are included).

Five holdovers from last year's roster...Fuller, Holston, Lawson, Temara, and Wooldridge.  Zach Simmons was an UNT signee and I don't believe that Gibson could be considered an Arkansas State recruit as his intent was to sign with North Texas where his dad played.  That gives us a total of seven of the thirteen scholarship athletes.

The juco athletes (Arikawe, Duffy, Miller, Smart) plus the freshman Tikhonenko were recruited by McCasland while he was still at Arkansas State.  The sixth with an ASU connection, Jahmiah Simmons, actually played there and sits this year as the thirteenth scholarship athlete.  

• 3 weeks later...