Mean Green Mania - Aug 2

brooks91

On 8/7/2017 at 10:06 PM, Ryan Munthe said:

I LIVE in Denton but work in Dallas so this just ain't gonna happen.

I did that commute from Denton to Dallas or Tarrant County for 40 years and still made the events important to me. Everyone's work situation is different. I had some schedule flexibility or would take personal or vacation time for those things important enough for me.  Have no clue what your work situation might be these days. It is just a matter of priorities and priorities are personal...everyone is different.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

This just in....Oklahoma State U is holding its Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony tonight in Oklahoma City! That would be on a Monday night! Dang what will all those Stillwater people do? And Tulsa? And Waggoner? Man, if only they would hold this on a Saturday! Only "small time programs" hold stuff like this on weekdays! In other news...reported to be a sell out.  Oh, well! 😢😢

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 4

14 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

This just in....Oklahoma State U is holding its Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony tonight in Oklahoma City! That would be on a Monday night! Dang what will all those Stillwater people do? And Tulsa? And Waggoner? Man, if only they would hold this on a Saturday! Only "small time programs" hold stuff like this on weekdays! In other news...reported to be a sell out.  Oh, well! 😢😢

It's like people don't have to take half a day of work off to go to this. Who would've thought THAT would work out.

Clearly these people don't have their priorities straight. If it was 11:30 am on a Tuesday it would've sold out in 30 seconds.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

It's like people don't have to take half a day of work off to go to this. Who would've thought THAT would work out.

Clearly these people don't have their priorities straight. If it was 11:30 am on a Tuesday it would've sold out in 30 seconds.

😢😢. 

• Downvote 1

54 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

I think the difference is that OSU has fans all over Oklahoma, because, outside of the Thunder, OU and OSU are their only professional franchises.  They also sell out a 60,000 seat stadium each Saturday in the fall with fans driving from across the state.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I think the difference is that OSU has fans all over Oklahoma, because, outside of the Thunder, OU and OSU are their only professional franchises.  They also sell out a 60,000 seat stadium each Saturday in the fall with fans driving from across the state.

UNT has a 40k+ student base, and 250k+ alumni in the DFW and we can't even Sale out Apogee should be a bigger worry than a damn Mean Green Mania/Dinner...

Most alumni do not give a damn about UNT football, let alone other sports..

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

I'm sure some people are taking a half day, and others I bet are doing a whole day off to have a 3-day weekend.

Have you even reached out to the AD office/Event staff to voice your feelings on it being during the day on a Monday??

Edited by BTG_Fan1

17 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

UNT has a 40k+ student base, and 250k+ alumni in the DFW and we can't even Sale out Apogee should be a bigger worry than a damn Mean Green Mania/Dinner...

Exactly, which is why you have to cater to the fence sitters.  A P5 program can call the shots, we can't.  

Also, this board has complained about the start times of these events for years.  Why would any sensible, technologically proficient program ignore that feedback?  The "well if they want us to know they better call us" model was already tried for 15 years, and we already know the results you get from that:

On 5/20/2015 at 0:45 PM, Cerebus said:

After the 2001 season the AD published the Game Plan For Success. This thirteen page booklet laid out the plans of the department to meet their mission, which included "Position(ing) the Mean Green to compete in the upper echelon of intercollegiate athletics and attract top athletes from the Metroplex...."

It went on to layout current MFG and FB season tickets numbers, and goals for each. All numbers from 2001 are taken from that booklet. The 2014 MGC numbers come from me hand counting the numbers off the AD website. The 2014 FB season ticket numbers come from the twitter link above.

Before we get into the details, here are the numbers:

9GryUFr.jpg

Here are the header meanings:

2002 Actual: Number of MGC/FB Season ticket holders per Game Plan For Success (GPFS).

2004 Goal: Goal numbers set to be reached by GPFS.

2014 Actual: Number of MGC/FB Season ticket holders per AD Website/Twitter respectively.

Diff: How short we fell of the 2004 goal in 2014.

Avg Yearly Change: Average MGC/FB Season Ticket Holders added per year between 2002 and 2014 seasons.

YTG: Years to Goal, number of years with Avg Yearly Change to reach 2004 goals from current.

The year 2004 goals included:

*10,000 FB Season Ticket Holders.

*3,000 MGC members.

*40 MGC district directors.

*$600,000 in ad, radio, and sponsorship sales.

*30 spring/summer events.

*$10 million in capital fund raising for athletics.

Just for UNT90, GPFS also listed some scheduling goals, including:

* Only two "money" games per year.

* Goal to have six home games in twelve game seasons.

I'll leave the interpretation of this data/performance up to the reader. If you have any questions about the data sources, hit me.

On 5/20/2015 at 0:45 PM, Cerebus said:

kE2XVBn.jpg

I've made an addition to the spreadsheet, the growth between 2002 and 2004. You can see that between those two dates we added 864 MGC members, and 4,285 season ticket holders.

Now, of course we need some context for this growth. The latest alumni numbers I have seen from the University state 300,000 alumni, with 225,000 of them living in the area. Of course most of those people became alumni long before the current AD was here.

Enrollment has grown from ~29,000 in 2002 to ~36,000 in 2014. Everyone of those students pays the Athletics Fee, but it's not by choice.

I think recent grads are the best metric to compare MGC growth. Unfortunately I don't have official numbers for the number of alumni who graduated between 2002 and 2014, but I do have numbers for 2008-2013

¹

. In those five the University awarded 41,102 degrees, an average of 8,220.4 degrees a year. Lets round that off to 8000 to be conservative (even though we know it's too low). I know 2014 degrees are "over 8000" but I don't have an official final number. So I think 8000 is an overly fair number per year for the last six years,

This still leaves us with no data official data for the first six years. We know enrollment grew about 24% over those years, so we could take that percentage off the average degrees awarded number, but I am going to be

extremely conservative

and say that we take off a full 50%. So lets assume for the first six years we awarded 4000 degrees per year.

That would leave us with an

estimate of 72,000* degrees awarded 2002-2014

. Again, I think that is a very low ball number, but I wanted to be conservative since we only have date for half the range.

We stated off with 211 MGC members in 2002. Some of those members stopped giving, some of them went to that great big stadium club in the sky. New members joined and by 2014 the MGC totaled 1075.

In the period of 2002-2014 the MGC grew by 864 members, while the university added (conservatively) ~72,000 new alumni.

If anyone has better data sources, or sees any flaw in my numbers or logic, please advise.

¹UNT Publication: Institutional Research and Effectiveness 2013-2014 Fact Book

((8000x6)+(4000x6))

This post by Cerebus from 2015 probably did more to educate a lot of posters on the absolute joke that had been RV's job security than anything else. Yes, we sucked at football for a long time and our hoops program got nuked by the Tony Benford hire. And, yes, at almost every other university in America playing FBS level football or big time basketball, this alone would have gotten you fired. But it didn't here. So, you figured that he was keeping his job for other reasons, hopefully because the growth in season ticket holders and MGC membership had grown at a decent pace. Instead, we got less than 2% of the estimated grads during that time to care enough to fund the program, not to mention the infinitesimally small number that represented of local DFW alumni.

So how did RV keep that job? Because he kept stuff like this close to the vest and made sure we stayed within budget to meet the only standard the BOR asked of him. Then, by getting the few big money donors to fund stuff over the budget, knowing full well that these donors were in great with the BOR. This is why so many just want to see Wren Baker provide more information and accountability with these numbers, unlike the 15 years RV had at the job. We will know within the next couple of years if anything has really changed on this front or if the new boss is the same as the old bos, so to speak. And WB deserves the opportunity to fully turn this thing around and to be given time to do it--but the public needs to hear the process and the actual numbers, even if its bad. Most people can understand this, considering the fact that about 2% of the UNT alumni give any interest to this program. Even getting this number up to 3% is a great step forward in progress... 

Edited by untjim1995
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

First, it is sell not sale.

Second, that is why you cater to those that can attend and make adjustments as demand increases.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

First, it is sell not sale.

Second, that is why you cater to those that can attend and make adjustments as demand increases.

Dear lord I love the individuals that spell check every choice possible.

also, the reason they cater to people during the business day is because those are the same people that come and not enough (if any) voice displeasure with them over this.. if people want stuff to change then again get a group and email the AD office

Edited by BTG_Fan1
  • Downvote 3

39 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

This post by Cerebus from 2015 probably did more to educate a lot of posters on the absolute joke that had been RV's job security than anything else. Yes, we sucked at football for along time and our hoops program got nuked by the Tony Benford hire. And, yes, at almost every other university in America playing FBS level football or big time basketball, this alone would have gotten you fired. But it didn't here. So, you figured that he was keeping his job for other reasons, hopefully because the growth in season ticket holders and MGC membership had grown at a decent pace. Instead, we got less than 2% of the estimated grads during that time to care enough to fund the program, not to mention the infinitesimally small number that represented of local DFW alumni.

So how did RV keep that job? Because he kept stuff like this close to the vest and made sure we stayed within budget to meet the only standard the BOR asked of him. Then, by getting the few big money donors to fund stuff over the budget, knowing full well that these donors were in great with the BOR. This is why so many just want to see Wren Baker provide more information and accountability with these numbers, unlike the 15 years RV had at the job. We will know within the next couple of years if anything has really changed on this front or if the new boss is the same as the old bos, so to speak. And WB deserves the opportunity to fully turn this thing around and to be given time to do it--but the public needs to hear the process and the actual numbers, even if its bad. Most people can understand this, considering the fact that about 2% of the UNT alumni give any interest to this program. Even getting this number up to 3% is a great step forward in progress... 

Image result for clapping gif

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

also, the reason they cater to people during the business day is because those are the same people that come and not enough (if any) voice displeasure with them over this.. if people want stuff to change then again get a group and email the AD office

2 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Also, this board has complained about the start times of these events for years.  Why would any sensible, technologically proficient program ignore that feedback?  The "well if they want us to know they better call us" model was already tried for 15 years, and we already know the results you get from that:

31 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I have no answers as to why this board is not used by the AD Office in terms of getting information from fans, and spreading out promotional/marketing info.. I really don't..

I do believe that this site should be used as a way to blast out information from the AD Office 1-Because its going to reach most everyone on here, 2- Everyone here has something invested in UNT in terms of being fan/alumni/etc.. 3- It's free and a lot of the more veteran members here don't use social media, 4- Its free and again everyone here has 1 common thread is that they support UNT... 

This board has complained for years, but some of the people in the AD Office, likely have never idea this site even exists (I'm Sorry but its a fact). Its easy to throw something up on a board and hope that it sticks or that something to change, but getting the complaints to the correct people, and a larger # will result in change. Hell if people have been complaining the same way for years, change it up.. I have no idea if people have emailed WB/RV or someone else about things, but the posting on here is not going to reach the right people who could potentially change it. WB replies to tweets, emails, and I'm guessing even possibly phone calls. But this isn't to single out anyone, but again send a email and explain  and have a discussion.. And have it copied to multiple people or even have multiple people send in the same thing.. No promises but if they got an email from 20-30 people saying hey we can't make it at Noon, but I could at 7pm, I bet in the future they would be at least consider it..  If nothing changes, then call/email/tweet NS and tell him that UNT is missing out on 100s of potential fans with the start times... 

9 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

This board has complained for years, but some of the people in the AD Office, likely have never idea this site even exists (I'm Sorry but its a fact).

Nobody in the AD office reads the board?   Strange how the previous regime used to call @Harry about posts they didn't like.   The handful of accounts registered to UNT AD office email addresses is also kinda weird.  I'm also wondering why several AD office employees told me about the discussions that were had about handling what was said on the board.  

Now maybe some things are different with the changing of the guard.  But if it is, they are missing a goldmine of information that is just sitting there waiting for them.  Yes, you have to learn how to separate the wheat from the chaff, but that is how all data analytics works.  

9 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

No promises but if they got an email from 20-30 people saying hey we can't make it at Noon, but I could at 7pm, I bet in the future they would be at least consider it..  If nothing changes, then call/email/tweet NS and tell him that UNT is missing out on 100s of potential fans with the start times... 

Again:

3 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Why would any sensible, technologically proficient program ignore that feedback?  The "well if they want us to know they better call us" model was already tried for 15 years, and we already know the results you get from that:

Just now, Cerebus said:

Nobody in the AD office reads the board?   Strange how the previous regime used to call @Harry about posts they didn't like.   The handful of accounts registered to UNT AD office email addresses is also kinda weird.  I'm also wondering why several AD office employees told me about the discussions that were had about handling what was said on the board.  

Now maybe some things are different with the changing of the guard.  But if it is, they are missing a goldmine of information that is just sitting there waiting for them.  Yes, you have to learn how to separate the wheat from the chaff, but that is how all data analytics works.  

So we agree that likely with the changing of the guard it has led to them not being aware of this site... But I never said NOBODY from the AD office reads this site, i said SOME....

But I would not compare WB and that staff to RV and his staff..These guys are young and wanting to hopefully go do bigger things else where or here at UNT (hopefully). They are not like RV or Mac who are just running out the clock and cashing a check... 

I have no idea what the old regime did or didn't do.. I have no idea how y'all complained or tried to improve things.. I only see people posting on here, if people are calling great, if not they should... If people are email great, if not they should.. If things aren't changing then go to the next step of going to someone like WB, and if that does work, go to NS... If that doesn't work, well I have no idea what else to do besides withhold your $... 

13 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

@BTG_Fan1 does not care about facts or reality. He is in defense of the athletic department, obviously no matter what. 

That is completely wrong, but whatever helps you sleep at night

• Downvote 2

20 hours ago, Cerebus said:

The "well if they want us to know they better call us" model was already tried for 15 years, and we already know the results you get from that:

A big assumption on my part, but isn't it a lot of the same people doing the organizing?