Mean Green Mania - Aug 2

brooks91

On 8/1/2017 at 7:16 PM, AustinFromUNT said:

I would if I didn't have class. Y'all have fun for me though.

You had class straight through from 8am to 8pm? Man, you are carrying one heavy load of classes! Wow! You graduating in 1 1/2 years?

• Downvote 6

Just now, KRAM1 said:

You had class straight through from 8am to 8pm? Man, you are carrying one heavy load of classes! Wow! You graduating in 1 1/2 years?

Hah no I'm taking organic chemistry II right now though so I had lab from 8-11, lecture from 11-1, and then study group from 1-4. Plus it was raining. No good excuse though so I'll have to make up for it by being extra loud at the Lamar game.

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, LETitFLYguy said:

Have you tried driving from Dallas to Denton or Fort Worth to Denton lately?

Many times...have you? Chad Rose...remember him...drove from Downtown Dallas and was there when I got there about 10:15am. He was amazed how easy the drive was ... said all lanes over the lake and the HOV lanes open. And, I can confirm all lanes open going south.  There were at least 6 people I know there when I was there that had come from Dallas, Carrollton and/or Lewisville.  All using I-35.  And I have personally done the Denton-Dallas and back commute on I-35 at least 8 times in the last two weeks....so, yep...done it!

P.S. I commuted from Denton to Dallas or Bedford 5 days a week for close to 40 years, so, yep, got some experience with that highway for a bunch of years for sure!

Edited by KRAM1
  • Downvote 5

14 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Sometimes people got stuff to do. They'll make it if they make it, they don't if they don't. Can't catch em all, much like my PokemonGo experience.

Totally agree, but why try to come up with excuses to justify why not? Just let it go and come or not come based on your own schedule? You cannot schedule events that will will please everyone...trust me, I know. And, some folks will make complete fools out of themselves over what and when you schedule things even though they would not come or support the event anyway.  Lot's of personal experience with being on the nasty receiving end of that.

Just come or don't come.  Excuses are usually just that excuses that can be seen right through easily.  Everyone has missed events they would love to attend due to schedules...happens.  

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

3 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Totally agree, but why try to come up with excuses to justify why not? Just let it go and come or not come based on your own schedule? You cannot schedule events that will will please everyone...trust me, I know. And, some folks will make complete fools out of themselves over what and when you schedule things even though they would not come or support the event anyway.  Lot's of personal experience with being on the nasty receiving end of that.

Just come or don't come.  Excuses are usually just that excuses that can be seen right through easily.  Everyone has missed events they would love to attend due to schedules...happens.  

Sure, and it's perfectly ok to have an excuse. It's also bad form to point out how much harder other folks tried in order to make it to the event. We don't need to be putting each other down. We're all fans here, and the degree varies by person from casual to green-bleeding sob. It's ok. Shrug it off. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Sure, and it's perfectly ok to have an excuse. It's also bad form to point out how much harder other folks tried in order to make it to the event. We don't need to be putting each other down. We're all fans here, and the degree varies by person from casual to green-bleeding sob. It's ok. Shrug it off. 

I can agree with you on most everything here except the "it's perfectly ok to have an excuse" thing. It is perfectly OK to have a truthful and legit reason, even "I don't want to go", that's a choice and a fact, and legit, but excuses reflect laziness and rationalization.  That doesn't work anywhere. But, yes, point taken.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, KRAM1 said:

i agree- i will miss the UTEP game because my wants to visit her family in Las Vegas. Didnt asked me about the date and I rather be at apogee watching the mean green  instead of sitting on a  couch with people I don't really care for.

2 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

i agree- i will miss the UTEP game because my wants to visit her family in Las Vegas. Didnt asked me about the date and I rather be at apogee watching the mean green  instead of sitting on a  couch with people I don't really care for.

Sorry you're going to miss the homecoming game, but Vegas should be a lot of fun.

• Upvote 1

On the topic of Mean Green Mania event:  This was well done by the AD and lots of fun. Kudos to Wren and the AD staff for putting it on.  

Attended the happy hour portion and caught up with tons of Mean Green fans.  They had free food and beer, giveaways (including free shirts with each season ticket you purchased), convenient ticket pickup in their swanky new packaging - everything was correct, a live radio broadcast, and tons of the AD staff and some coaches including Grant McCasland mingling with the crowd. Team store had all sorts of cool new merch.  Plus the weather was super cooperative.

Learned a ton about the upcoming facilities master plan, as well as the soon to be released AD strategic plan.  For those that have been concerned about lack of facilities information and publicly communicated strategies, focus and goals, I think you'll be very pleased in pretty short order.  TONS of really exciting stuff coming right around the corner.  The level of investment they're going to be putting into the whole athletics complex in the coming years is staggering and unprecedented at North Texas.  Very excited about the program right now.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 2

7 hours ago, Green Lantern said:

On the topic of Mean Green Mania event:  This was well done by the AD and lots of fun. Kudos to Wren and the AD staff for putting it on.  

Attended the happy hour portion and caught up with tons of Mean Green fans.  They had free food and beer, giveaways (including free shirts with each season ticket you purchased), convenient ticket pickup in their swanky new packaging - everything was correct, a live radio broadcast, and tons of the AD staff and some coaches including Grant McCasland mingling with the crowd. Team store had all sorts of cool new merch.  Plus the weather was super cooperative.

Learned a ton about the upcoming facilities master plan, as well as the soon to be released AD strategic plan.  For those that have been concerned about lack of facilities information and publicly communicated strategies, focus and goals, I think you'll be very pleased in pretty short order.  TONS of really exciting stuff coming right around the corner.  The level of investment they're going to be putting into the whole athletics complex in the coming years is staggering and unprecedented at North Texas.  Very excited about the program right now.

This was easily the most informative and insightful athletic event I've been to thanks to the availability and candidness of the administration.   Definitely some exciting things to be released to the public soon. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

I can agree with you on most everything here except the "it's perfectly ok to have an excuse" thing. It is perfectly OK to have a truthful and legit reason, even "I don't want to go", that's a choice and a fact, and legit, but excuses reflect laziness and rationalization.  That doesn't work anywhere. But, yes, point taken.

But you're making excuses on behalf of the AD. Those are somehow OK though. Though they had a wide window of 8-8 for coming in to throw money at them, it's blatantly obvious to see that the meat and potatoes of this event was watching practice (even if just a walk through type ordeal) and catching what SL and WB had to say. And those times were at 9 and 12:30. Not the most ideal for the typical working adult. If they could've worked those times around to maybe have SL and WB address a crowd at 5:30 and have a quick 1 hr practice starting at 6, the place would've been packed. Now, of course, moving practice schedules around like this may be difficult to do. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

11 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

But you're making excuses on behalf of the AD. Those are somehow OK though. Though they had a wide window of 8-8 for coming in to throw money at them, it's blatantly obvious to see that the meat and potatoes of this event was watching practice (even if just a walk through type ordeal) and catching what SL and WB had to say. And those times were at 9 and 12:30. Not the most ideal for the typical working adult. If they could've worked those times around to maybe have SL and WB address a crowd at 5:30 and have a quick 1 hr practice starting at 6, the place would've been packed. Now, of course, moving practice schedules around like this may be difficult to do. 

New NCAA rules prevent all FB programs from conducting two-a-days, so your quick 1 hour evening practice likely won't happen. Having practices in the morning is safer for the athletes since it's not nearly as hot as in the afternoon/evening.

If they were to move the event to a Saturday, I'm sure that will help a lot of folks but it won't for everyone. I myself likely wouldn't make it up there until after noon because I have my own things going on early in the morning most every Saturday. Others can watch practices and scrimmages but I find them boring.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTFan23 said:

New NCAA rules prevent all FB programs from conducting two-a-days, so your quick 1 hour evening practice likely won't happen. Having practices in the morning is safer for the athletes since it's not nearly as hot as in the afternoon/evening.

If they were to move the event to a Saturday, I'm sure that will help a lot of folks but it won't for everyone. I myself likely wouldn't make it up there until after noon because I have my own things going on early in the morning most every Saturday. Others can watch practices and scrimmages but I find them boring.

I would think they would practice in the afternoon, you know, practice in the conditions you will play in.  Then again, I now qualify as an old geezer that played when water breaks were few and far between, you didn't question your coach, etc...

Am I only person that gets tired of all these insiders coming onto the board and saying "Well because I'm at every event and pay $XXX,XXX a year, and am personal friends with everyone in the AD, I know more than you, and let me tell you, it's exciting! I won't share ANY of this information with you, but it's great!"

Just saying. The AD keeps everything close to the chest at all times, except to the select few that get to hear it. Would be nice to actually know what the hell is going on....

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 4

17 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Am I only person that gets tired of all these insiders coming onto the board and saying "Well because I'm at every event and pay $XXX,XXX a year, and am personal friends with everyone in the AD, I know more than you, and let me tell you, it's exciting! I won't share ANY of this information with you, but it's great!"

Just saying. The AD keeps everything close to the chest at all times, except to the select few that get to hear it. Would be nice to actually know what the hell is going on....

If you go to some of these events and talk with them, they do tend to share some information, just not for public consumption (kind of understood in the conversation). I have never had them ask me what my donation level is before talking to me and being candid about some of these kinds of things.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

@forevereagle is accurate in his reply.

I'll add this:  There's been a mountain of baseless speculation on the board in the past couple of months that the AD isn't doing anything on the facilities master plan, department strategic plan, MGC and season ticket goals, new uniforms ect.  The point wasn't to come on here with a "I know more than everyone else" line, but to reassure folks on the board who were unable to attend this function in person that these things have been seen with our own eyes.  

Several of these projects are massive undertakings that a ton of work has been put into by the Athletics Department staff, University stakeholders and major donors.  I don't feel like it's right to come on a message board and steal the department's thunder of these announcements with specifics shared in confidence because they aren't happening on some of our fan's arbitrary "correct" timeline.  They have a plan and rationale for how they're going to roll the information out publicly.

TL:DR - I'm very confident in the direction the Athletics Department is moving in.  Exciting times.

Edited by Green Lantern
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

This was easily the most informative and insightful athletic event I've been to thanks to the availability and candidness of the administration.   Definitely some exciting things to be released to the public soon. 

Wish that they would do things like this more often and throughout the season... Having more information/insight on the process out there is a good thing, it allows for people to see progress from point A to B, instead of A to Z from the announcing the start of the IPF planning to it being announced. 

Hell WB and them should allow them (GMG Podcast crew) to do the show/podcast from Apogee and do something like 10 bucks per plate meal... Have dinner at 7-8 on a Thursday with WB/SL/GMac/other to answer a few questions from the fan and generate some extra $ for the programs and to allow the fans to get more face time with whoever... then do the podcast from 8-9 live with people there... 

8 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

I'll add this:  There's been a mountain of baseless speculation on the board in the past couple of months that the AD isn't doing anything on the facilities master plan, department strategic plan, MGC and season ticket goals, new uniforms ect.  The point wasn't to come on here with a "I know more than everyone else" line, but to reassure folks on the board who were unable to attend this function in person that these things have been seen with our own eyes.  

I think that the majority of the people on here would have liked to seen some of these done/announced at individual times instead of all at once... 

You know something like hey UNT fans, the IPF plan has been completed but now we are working on the upgrades to the AD Complex, come see the designs/ideas that are being kicked around.. Something to show to people that things are moving along, instead of all of a sudden we go from nothing to something, it is overwhelming and doing it in steps is a way to keep UNT on peoples minds and relevant in terms of progress. 

Using things like the Mean Green Mania as a way to showcase the new uniforms, and shirts... Sale new shirts now for people to wear to the Lamar game. 

On 8/3/2017 at 9:01 AM, KRAM1 said:

Many times...have you? Chad Rose...remember him...drove from Downtown Dallas and was there when I got there about 10:15am. He was amazed how easy the drive was ... said all lanes over the lake and the HOV lanes open. And, I can confirm all lanes open going south.  There were at least 6 people I know there when I was there that had come from Dallas, Carrollton and/or Lewisville.  All using I-35.  And I have personally done the Denton-Dallas and back commute on I-35 at least 8 times in the last two weeks....so, yep...done it!

P.S. I commuted from Denton to Dallas or Bedford 5 days a week for close to 40 years, so, yep, got some experience with that highway for a bunch of years for sure!

I think you are missing the point of people had to work during the majority of the duration of the event. Glad tens of people made it. Congrats on the Chad Rose name drop........Big time.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2