Tashard Choice Joins Mean Green Staff In Quality Control Role

Harry

DENTON – North Texas head football coach Seth Littrell announced Tuesday that former Dallas Cowboys running back Tashard Choice has been named to the Mean Green’s coaching staff in a quality control role, working with the offense.

Choice most recently was a part of the Cowboys coaching staff ahead of the 2016 National Football League season, working with the running backs during organized team activities and minicamp.

The Jonesboro, Georgia, native was a fourth round pick of the Cowboys in 2008 out of Georgia Tech, and played for Dallas from 2008-11. He also played for the Washington Redskins, Buffalo Bills and Indianapolis Colts during his playing career, which carried through 2013.

Throughout his NFL career, Choice rushed for 1,579 yards and 10 touchdowns, while also posting 574 yards receiving.

Additionally, Kenny Buyers, who played for the Mean Green from 2012-16 is also joining the North Texas staff in a graduate assistant role with the defense. Buyers joins newcomers J.D. Perkins (offense) and Herschel Sims (offense) as well as Tim Burmeister (defense), who is in his second season in Denton.

9 minutes ago, cdizzle86 said:

He was probably the best open field tackler I've seen at North Texas. Hoping he can bring that type of discipline to the current team.

He was solid in 2013 when he was surrounded by average to above average players and his role as a starter wasn't asked to do much except to play run support on his 1/4 and drop in zone 2/3 a lot or a soft man/zone. His role expanded in 2014 and was surrounded by average to below average players and there was a sharp decline in his play. 

I do think he has the "it" factor though, and for that I like this addition. I also like bringing on Choice for obvious reasons. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 8

2 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

He was solid in 2013 when he was surrounded by average to above average players and his role as a starter wasn't asked to do much except to play run support on his 1/4 and drop in zone 2/3 a lot or a soft man/zone. His role expanded in 2014 and was surrounded by average to below average players and there was a sharp decline in his play. 

Easy. I was only talking about open field tackling. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

I do think he has the "it" factor though, and for that I like this addition. I also like bringing on Choice for obvious reasons. 

I wish we could see you try and cover a D3 or NAIA WR.  

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I wish we could see you try and cover a D3 or NAIA WR.  

Not about me. But when I read posts like these...These little verbal jabs, all I'm really seeing is, 'I hate facts, so let me take a moment to revert this conversation into being a dickhead'. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

4 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Not about me. But when I read posts like these...These little verbal jabs, all I'm really seeing is, 'I hate facts, so let me take a moment to revert this conversation into being a dickhead'. 

Seriously dude. The act is getting old. At least UNT90 had at least a little agenda.. you are better than mudding up ever freaking post. You are better than this 

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Seriously dude. The act is getting old. At least UNT90 had at least a little agenda.. you are better than mudding up ever freaking post. You are better than this 

I post unbiased opinions of things I see or read, and people clearly don't like it. They feel the need to retaliate because I'm not all about UNT rainbows and Unicorns. Well, I'm going to respond to utter disrespect when it's aimed in my direction. It's no act. This fan base, this tiny fan base, wants there to be some kind of cool guy country club persona to it while never really talking about the multitude of serious flaws in just about any and every direction within this AD. People here just want to talk about the good, which is great if the good were to ever being close to balancing out the beam. But it's not and it's not even close. So therefore, someone, anyone, has to point out the metric tons of dog shit that everyone is seemingly happily swimming through. I mean shit, recruiting is setting up at least 2-3 more years of the same exact old North Texas BS football. And people don't miss a beat about it, like it's not even happening. It's eyes wide shut at its finest. And this thread, is just a microscopic glimpse of it...The continous stroking of an average player, at his best. 

And ftr, you don't know me and I have no earthly idea who you are. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 4

26 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

The anger is not healty. Maybe you need to take a break and find another hobby that is less detrimental to your well being. You have to be crazy if you think anyone on this board is happy with the way things have been the last 20 years at UNT. Not me nor @Harrynor @GMG24not @BillySee58no one in there right mind would be happy about way things have been. But as disappointed as we have been about the past we can be optimistic about future. Yeah Seth hasn't been beating out P5 schools for recruits. But at the same time he has still been landing solid recruits in his first two classes. Name me one bust from his first two classes. You can because it's two damn early. And here is a fact I haven't said on board but I have mentioned it to guys off the board if Frank Wilson had came to UNT and Seth went to UTSA I still think UTSA would be beating us in recruiting. Because it's going to take years of winning to erase the past 3 decades of losing. uTSA is still young fresh. Yeah not winning history but at same time no losing. And as far as the AD department goes Wren is making HUGE strides. It takes time to make up for 15 years of mediocrity. If you expected him to come in. Fire everyone in house. Build an IPF. Sell out Apogee. Win conference title. Move to big 12 all in first 12 months on job you are out of your damn mind. Yeah I am not trying to pump rainbows and sunshine but I will say North Texas is trending up and it's best days are ahead. You can be disappointed with past failures Without reminding us every thread. 

GMG

Solid post but I disagree with one point.  Baker isn't overcoming 15 years of laziness in the AD.  He is overcoming 100+ years

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

The anger is not healty. Maybe you need to take a break and find another hobby that is less detrimental to your well being. You have to be crazy if you think anyone on this board is happy with the way things have been the last 20 years at UNT. Not me nor @Harrynor @GMG24not @BillySee58no one in there right mind would be happy about way things have been. But as disappointed as we have been about the past we can be optimistic about future. Yeah Seth hasn't been beating out P5 schools for recruits. But at the same time he has still been landing solid recruits in his first two classes. Name me one bust from his first two classes. You can because it's two damn early. And here is a fact I haven't said on board but I have mentioned it to guys off the board if Frank Wilson had came to UNT and Seth went to UTSA I still think UTSA would be beating us in recruiting. Because it's going to take years of winning to erase the past 3 decades of losing. uTSA is still young fresh. Yeah not winning history but at same time no losing. And as far as the AD department goes Wren is making HUGE strides. It takes time to make up for 15 years of mediocrity. If you expected him to come in. Fire everyone in house. Build an IPF. Sell out Apogee. Win conference title. Move to big 12 all in first 12 months on job you are out of your damn mind. Yeah I am not trying to pump rainbows and sunshine but I will say North Texas is trending up and it's best days are ahead. You can be disappointed with past failures Without reminding us every thread. 

GMG

not to argue with you here, but Tyler Wilson would be considered a bust right? Recruiting is still embarrassingly subpar. I mean I get finding diamonds in the rough, but we are relying on that strategy almost exclusively and that's scary. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

not to argue with you here, but Tyler Wilson would be considered a bust right? Recruiting is still embarrassingly subpar. I mean I get finding diamonds in the rough, but we are relying on that strategy almost exclusively and that's scary. 

As a very close fan and alum, one that actually pays attention and attends, it's terrifying. But, for whatever reason, we (most) continously accept it because we're poor little ole UNT and setting standards and expectations are not what we do. We accept, we don't regulate. And for that, people think I'm angry when I'm not angry at all, ever. I have never seen a program catapult into division championships with our current strategies. Is what it is I suppose. We're the KU of a G5 conference and once I wrap my head around that then I guess I can accept the suck like most seemingly have. 

• Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

That's not really a fair question either, since no one from the 2017 class has even played a down of football yet.  How would anyone even know who's a bust from 2017?
But, from the 2016 class... Will Johnson, Raveon Hoston, Cody Hayes, Devin O'Hara, Anthony Wyche.... Those are just the JUCO guys.  As for the HS guys, it's too early to tell because several of them are still Freshmen.  
Heck, if you ask some people on here, they'd say Fine is also a bust since we've already got the best of him, and he's done nothing but regress while he's been here.

• Downvote 1

Frank Wilson 

9 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

GMG

If Seth Littrell was coaching at Alabama and Frank Wilson was coaching at The University of Phoenix, Wilson would still outrecruit Littrell.

Great recruiters can recruit ANYWHERE. Remember Vic Trilli? Hey, we are in CUSA!!! Trilli's promise to his recruits really did come true. 😃

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

I post unbiased opinions of things I see or read, and people clearly don't like it. They feel the need to retaliate because I'm not all about UNT rainbows and Unicorns. Well, I'm going to respond to utter disrespect when it's aimed in my direction. It's no act. This fan base, this tiny fan base, wants there to be some kind of cool guy country club persona to it while never really talking about the multitude of serious flaws in just about any and every direction within this AD. People here just want to talk about the good, which is great if the good were to ever being close to balancing out the beam. But it's not and it's not even close. So therefore, someone, anyone, has to point out the metric tons of dog shit that everyone is seemingly happily swimming through. I mean shit, recruiting is setting up at least 2-3 more years of the same exact old North Texas BS football. And people don't miss a beat about it, like it's not even happening. It's eyes wide shut at its finest. And this thread, is just a microscopic glimpse of it...The continous stroking of an average player, at his best. 

And ftr, you don't know me and I have no earthly idea who you are. 

Unbiased opinions ... is there really such a thing?

• Upvote 1