Jackson's major achievments during UNT tenure

Under Jackson’s leadership, the UNT System:

• Raised UNT’s 4-year graduation rate from 13% in 2001 to 29.1% in 2015*, an increase of 124%. UNT’s 5-year graduation rate rose from 29.5% to 46% in that same period, a 56% increase;
  • Grew the number of System-wide degrees awarded from 4,968 in 2001 to 9,200 in 2015*;
  • Raised System-wide annual research investment from $28,476,235 in 2001 to $68,421,831 in 2015*;
  • Created new programs in engineering, law, pharmacy, and medicine;
  • Established a new public university at UNT Dallas;
  • Achieved recognition for UNT as one of Texas’ Emerging Research Universities and achieved the highest designation of research-intensive universities from the Carnegie Endowment;
  • Started a new teaching center, UNT New College in Frisco;
  • Elevated standards for attractive building designs and visionary campus master plans;
  • Acquired property in downtown Dallas to house UNT System Administration, the UNT Dallas College of Law, UNT Art on Main, and other teaching programs; and
  • Recruited top higher education professionals for a talented leadership team that provides many of the non-academic and planning services to all three UNT System campuses.

read more:  https://news.unt.edu/news-releases/chancellor-lee-f-jackson-announces-retirement-plans-after-guiding-unt-system-through-p

2 hours ago, Harry said:

• Established a new public university at UNT Dallas;
  • Acquired property in downtown Dallas to house UNT System Administration, the UNT Dallas College of Law, UNT Art on Main, and other teaching programs; and

I think both of these are negatives.  UNT Dallas will be a drain.  Placing these programs and the Administration in Dallas was ridiculous when they both (Administration and College of Law) should be located in Denton.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I think both of these are negatives.  UNT Dallas will be a drain.  Placing these programs and the Administration in Dallas was ridiculous when they both (Administration and College of Law) should be located in Denton.

UNT Dallas is/will be a drain, but it is almost necessary as it strengthens the North Texas SYSTEM.  Otherwise, we could be easily acquired by another system.  There are only 4 standalone Universities left in Texas (in my opinion, 2 of them need to join the NT system).

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

UNT Dallas is/will be a drain, but it is almost necessary as it strengthens the North Texas SYSTEM.  Otherwise, we could be easily acquired by another system.  There are only 4 standalone Universities left in Texas (in my opinion, 2 of them need to join the NT system).

TWU and ...?

• Upvote 1

Not many of the major state universities that don't have a nursing program.  UT, A&M, Houston, UTEP, TTech, Texas State - San Marcos, UTKFC, UT-Arlington, Stephen F Austin, Sam Houston, Midwestern, TWU, Lamar, East Texas Baptist, Texas A&M Commerce, Prairie View A&M, Tarleton State, Texas A&M International, Texas A&M CC, Texas A&M Texarkana, UT Tyler, UT Rio Grande Valley, West Texas A&M.  Plus several private school programs.

Seems like UNT and UT Dallas are about the only two large universities that I can think of off the top of my head without a program and our excuse is what?  

Ridirkulous 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, TreeFiddy said:

Not many of the major state universities that don't have a nursing program.  UT, A&M, Houston, UTEP, TTech, Texas State - San Marcos, UTKFC, UT-Arlington, Stephen F Austin, Sam Houston, Midwestern, TWU, Lamar, East Texas Baptist, Texas A&M Commerce, Prairie View A&M, Tarleton State, Texas A&M International, Texas A&M CC, Texas A&M Texarkana, UT Tyler, UT Rio Grande Valley, West Texas A&M.  Plus several private school programs.

Seems like UNT and UT Dallas are about the only two large universities that I can think of off the top of my head without a program and our excuse is what?  

Ridirkulous 

There is a solution for this, about 2.5 miles away from UNT.

• Upvote 1

On 7/25/2017 at 10:30 AM, Harry said:

• Raised UNT’s 4-year graduation rate from 13% in 2001 to 29.1% in 2015*, an increase of 124%. UNT’s 5-year graduation rate rose from 29.5% to 46% in that same period, a 56% increase;

Hard to find peer groups on this because nearly all graduation rate statistics I can find are six-year graduation rates.

I did find data from the College Board for four-year graduation rates from 2008-2011.  The lowest were UTA and Concordia at 15%.  UNT was at 19% for this table.  29% puts UNT in company with LeTourneau, Schreiner, and Hardin-Simmons.  

The top public universities at Texas (51%), A&M (46%), UTD (41%) and Tech (34%). 

I do think that UNT is still fighting an internal identity battle regarding just who it wants to serve.  There's the push to get to whatever the hell Tier 1 status is, Carnegie top flight research institution has been achieved, but the university seems to still want to cling to its roots of being the functional everyman's college come one, come all, let everybody who applies enter. 

I am of the (much disagreed with) opinion that you kinda gotta pick one of those paths.  You can't have it both ways.  Be more selective with applications and admissions, maybe take a short-term hit in enrollment, and climb the ladder of academic status, or keep on trucking as a functional institution that graduates people who land pretty good jobs, but lets a lot of tuition fodder fall by the wayside along the way.   I honestly don't put one of these as superior to the other, but rather feel you gotta pick one and go with it.

Link