UNT AD forming new "Street Team"

Harry

1 minute ago, letsgiveacheer said:

Good move!

When he first arrived, Haydn Fry sent his players, dressed in their jerseys, all over Denton to sell season tickets.

I thought so too.  There are so many academic departments who could partner up with the AD in a mutually beneficial way. 

I remember that.  Players came into stores and handed out schedule posters and discussed NT football.  I thought it was fun.  I never heard anything negative concerning the players getting out into the community.  One of the thing that impressed me about that project was that the players asked the community not to come "watch North Texas" but rather to "come see me  play football."  I thought it made it personal.  People like to think they have a "friend" playing for NT. 

I'd like to see that sort of marketing again.

GO MEN GREEN

• Upvote 3

I thought that Hayden did very well considering he was asking people to drive 30 miles to see their home team play.  He had some crowds of over 20,000.  But Texas Stadium was just too far for a successful promotion.  And, the A&M game is still our record "home" game with more than 45,000.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, letsgiveacheer said:

Good move!

When he first arrived, Haydn Fry sent his players, dressed in their jerseys, all over Denton to sell season tickets.

He also took the cheerleaders and a small band and went to the local small communities and set up on their square and had an "impromptu" pep rally. The Cheerleaders then went to all the stores around the square and asked for their support, as well as leaving season ticket applications at their store. The message he conveyed to the people in those small towns was "we want to be your University football team".

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I saw a post on Twitter last night that showed UNT Athletics was hiring interns.  This is also a good move and could be mutually beneficial to a number of departments on campus.

Good experience for the students, allows the staff to potentially see the students in action and know who performs for them hire them after the internship as well...

Been saying it for awhile now... Endless amount of students that could be used, and ways to get them paid... Through the AD office, Work Study, etc, bring them in and let a team of them fill in the open spots or even replace under performing staffers. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Harry said:

Sounds like a good concept.  Students get valuable experience while helping the AD promote athletics to the community.

Ever since my son was finishing up his Business/Marketing degree I thought something like this would be a good idea. After all, what could be more challenging, marketing wise, than North Texas athletics. Especially back in 2003 when my son graduated.

I wonder how much input the interns get regarding coming up with a new and improved message for the student body and community?

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Thanks 1