Last Chance U (East Mississippi CC)

How would you feel about SL and staff recruiting from EMCC (the JUCO featured in the Netflix series Last Chance U)? FAU picked up a couple guys from EMCC in this last recruiting cycle (De'Andre Jordan formerly Florida State QB, and Tim Bonner former Louisville DE). The guys here tend to have past problems: failed drug tests, one prominent player assaulted a woman at a bar, and others have academic issues. I'm finishing up season 2 now and want to know how y'all would feel about us recruiting guys from this JUCO or guys with similar pasts overall.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

How would you feel about SL and staff recruiting from EMCC (the JUCO featured in the Netflix series Last Chance U)? FAU picked up a couple guys from EMCC in this last recruiting cycle (De'Andre Jordan formerly Florida State QB, and Tim Bonner former Louisville DE). The guys here tend to have past problems: failed drug tests, one prominent player assaulted a woman at a bar, and others have academic issues. I'm finishing up season 2 now and want to know how y'all would feel about us recruiting guys from this JUCO or guys with similar pasts overall.

Is it legal? 

I have no problem with it. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, AustinFromUNT said:

Wouldn't mind so long as they seem like they've changed their ways and are a good fit for the culture we want to breed.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, xyresic said:

If you watch the show season one shows a clip of our old defensive backs coach there recruiting.

Yep, the old staff was already there. The idea of looking at JC candidates is nothing new, but to pull from schools like EMCC, we're competing against many of the P5 schools they left. 

I'm all for second chances but a lot of these kids are more trouble than they are worth. Ronald Ollie has already left Nicholls State, John Franklin III will probably never start at Auburn and Kam Carter although talented could care less about football. I wish all these players the best but the payoff doesn't justify bringing in some of these headaches into the locker room. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Salsa_Verde said:

I'm all for second chances but a lot of these kids are more trouble than they are worth. Ronald Ollie has already left Nicholls State, John Franklin III will probably never start at Auburn and Kam Carter although talented could care less about football. I wish all these players the best but the payoff doesn't justify bringing in some of these headaches into the locker room. 

I absolutely agree. Due diligence has to be put toward this. If checks are put into the appropriate boxes, it could be a low risk high reward decision. I'm fully aware of what happened with the now FAU QB while he was at FSU. He made what is to me an unforgivable mistake. But CFB has come to the notion that this behavior can be looked past in time. With that said, he does actually have a good head on his shoulders and Last Chance U 2.0 displays just that. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, AustinFromUNT said:

Doesn't hurt that FAU also took the QB coach, Trickett, with Jordan as well to be the TE coach (I believe)... Jordan would have been a nice addition but I think he was dead set on going back to FL.

You gotta find the right kids that learn from the experience.... Even with the baggage, I would have liked to see that RB Wright come here.. Bonner as well would have been a nice addition but I think with the most recent class SL was looking for kids that would make it to campus.. He and the staff took chances on big time kids like Hoston, Hayes, Johnson to only get burned by them.

I watched the first season of this show, then the first episode of season two before I decided it was just more of the same, so looked up the season record on the interwebs.  

But I digress.  This got me to wondering why there are only five juco football teams in Texas.  I was quite surprised to find such a low number given the importance placed on football in high school and 4-year colleges in the state.  Hell, the middle school behind my house in Frisco had ex-NFL players on staff. 

Other than the obvious answer of budget concerns, anybody know why or how juco has fallen through the cracks on the state football ladder? 

37 minutes ago, unt_rocket09 said:

Blinn, Kilgore, Tyler, Navarro, Cisco, Trinity Valley, and Ranger USED to have a program.  Im guessing it is too expensive to keep playing JC football.

Conversely, California, which has damn near made it illegal to sponsor FBS football, has 67 Juco teams.  

Juco truly confuses me. 

4 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

I watched the first season of this show, then the first episode of season two before I decided it was just more of the same, so looked up the season record on the interwebs.  

But I digress.  This got me to wondering why there are only five juco football teams in Texas.  I was quite surprised to find such a low number given the importance placed on football in high school and 4-year colleges in the state.  Hell, the middle school behind my house in Frisco had ex-NFL players on staff. 

Other than the obvious answer of budget concerns, anybody know why or how juco has fallen through the cracks on the state football ladder? 

Don't forget UTSA-CC, so six.

• Upvote 3

EMCC has by reputation been a true Last Chance U. I think North Alabama under Bowden was THE Last Chance U even though they are Division II. He had at least one 25 player class that was 100% FBS and FCS transfers.

Their specialty is FBS transfers in who go there to either let bad press die down or to go play a year before transferring to an FBS to avoid a year of not playing.

Most jucos are stocked with a mix of FBS caliber guys who didn't have the academics squared away (and EMCC has them too) and guys who wanted to play FBS ball but only had partial ride offers from FCS or Division II and want to beef up their game to have another crack at playing FBS. Even with the limited aid, the cost of juco tends to be so low that it ends up being a better financial deal than a partial in FCS and Division II.

• Thanks 1

Just finished season 2... It will be interesting how different they are next year compared to the first 2 seasons...

They lost some major key pieces to the success of that team... Also, UNT needs to find a way to get that OC here, yes its JUCO ball but he could sure as hell call a game... And yes that is what happens when you have a legit QB (which we have lacked) 

4 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Just finished season 2... It will be interesting how different they are next year compared to the first 2 seasons...

They lost some major key pieces to the success of that team... Also, UNT needs to find a way to get that OC here, yes its JUCO ball but he could sure as hell call a game... And yes that is what happens when you have a legit QB (which we have lacked) 

EMCC won't be on for another season, head coach is a tool.   Think they'll be at ASA in NY, where a Thomas came from.  

30 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

EMCC won't be on for another season, head coach is a tool.   Think they'll be at ASA in NY, where a Thomas came from.  

I honestly really like the segment that had at Coahoma CC. Really showed the parity between the two. 

Wouldn't mind seeing Arizona Western(Where Baulkman came from, also just was in the JUCO National Championship)

• Lovely Take 1

6 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I honestly really like the segment that had at Coahoma CC. Really showed the parity between the two. 

Wouldn't mind seeing Arizona Western(Where Baulkman came from, also just was in the JUCO National Championship)

Arizona western, LA Valley, Blinn, Or Garden City all good.  ASA should win for the show bc of the offense coach runs.  Supposedly makes Baylor look slow.

Season 3 will be at Independence Community College in Kansas. 

With that said, good QB's can run through CUSA like shit through a goose. Well, after watching some of LastChanceU, FAU has that QB. He has every single measurable and intangible. Be weary of FAU as a legitimate sleeper in the East. Be afraid for when UNT goes down there to play them. Also, EMCC's QB coach Clint Trickett (former FSU & WVU QB) was also hired by Kiffin. 

I know he hit that girl and that's just about unforgivable as unforgivable gets, but he's not really that kind of guy. Or he at least portrays himself not to be on the show. 

• Upvote 1