Corey Mayfield Jr commits to UTSA over OU/Arkansas

GMG24

3 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Still don't think something crazy is going on in San Antonio?? 

Not discounting him or UTSA at all, because he is a 3-star recruit, but if you look at the timeline on 247 it sure looks like perhaps those OU/Arkansas offers were earlier in the game.  Right now he does not show offers from those schools.    http://247sports.com/player/corey-mayfield-jr-94023

Again, he appears to be a good player and UTSA certainly has done a good job landing the 3-star variety.

My bigger concern is why have we not shown any interest in a guy right in our own backyard?

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

But...but....but...

I bring you a legit case and you can't look at it with open eyes, and you say the other side is bad. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Harry said:

Not discounting him or UTSA at all, because he is a 3-star recruit, but if you look at the timeline on 247 it sure looks like perhaps those OU/Arkansas offers were earlier in the game.  Right now he does not show offers from those schools.    http://247sports.com/player/corey-mayfield-jr-94023

Again, he appears to be a good player and UTSA certainly has done a good job landing the 3-star variety.

My bigger concern is why have we not shown any interest in a guy right in our own backyard?

Because it seems Seth Littrell and staff would rather have a guy with no other interest except from Northwest Missouri and East by Southwest Illinois Tech. THOSE are the guys that really will win us 10+ games a year, not the 3 star guys with multiple P5/G5 offers.

Frank Wilson is recruiting scrubs I tell you, and he's buying them cars and giving them cash and hookers on the side. Nobody can prove it, but we know he is!

• Upvote 7
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 11

1 minute ago, GMG24 said:

I bring you a legit case and you can't look at it with open eyes, and you say the other side is bad. 

Oh I was just being a condescending dick or being funny while trying to act like a typical UNT Homer. Good get for utsa. We need these caliber players. We still have not beat Frank Wilson out for a recruit...if my memory serves me right. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 8

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

Oh I was just being a condescending dick or being funny while trying to act like a typical UNT Homer. Good get for utsa. We need these caliber players. We still have not beat Frank Wilson out for a recruit...if my memory serves me right. 

TJ Henson. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

So with us wondering/questioning this kids commitment...

Do we think that UTSA questioned us when we landed Guyton over multiple P5 offers???

This isn't the first one, guyton has WVU not multiple P5 and not OU level offers. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

So with us wondering/questioning this kids commitment...

Do we think that UTSA questioned us when we landed Guyton over multiple P5 offers???

Damn man...you like to talk in exceptions and outliers. Try talking in norms and reality. Makes you look less desperate, I promise. 

12 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

TJ Henson. 

Oh. 1. My bad. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

5 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Damn man...you like to talk in exceptions and outliers. Try talking in norms and reality. Makes you look less desperate, I promise. 

Making a comparison makes me desperate, oh okay that makes a lot sense.. 

Simply stating that we have gotten kids that were talented and so has UTSA... So if we question them, then we should wonder about our practices/ do they think the same way about us...

8 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Making a comparison makes me desperate, oh okay that makes a lot sense.. 

Simply stating that we have gotten kids that were talented and so has UTSA... So if we question them, then we should wonder about our practices/ do they think the same way about us...

Do you believe all the bs you throw up onto this site?  

Why in God's green earth would they??!! Like 7 of our 9 commits outside of UNT have 0 offers. Oh no...Watch out for UNT....They MUST be cheating!!!  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 8

Don't see any confirmed offers from OU or Arkansas.  I think this kid is talking out his backside. 

I don't think this will stick either.  The kid is moving from a private school to a public school this year.  My guess is he's made the move for more exposure die to not getting the type of offers he (and, probably, his dad) want.

I think he's gaming UTSA. He, perhaps, has nothing to lose.  If he really is good, and can put up the same type of numbers/performance in a large public school district as he did in TAPPS, he'll likely garner P5 offers.

However, if he doesn't perform well, he'll already be committed to UTSA.  You just wonder if UTSA will keep the offer out if he tanks in the bigger, more competitive atmosphere.  If they do, he'll not really gambling all that much. 

But we'll see.

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 1

ADDENDUM:  Shows here that he already went from private to public, then back to private:  https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/high-schools/2016/08/15/preseason-private-school-football-rankingsprestonwood-christian-will-good-best

2014:  Parish Episcopal
2015:  W.T. White
2016:  Parish Episcopal

Now...North Forney for 2017.  Go figure.

1 minute ago, Aldo said:

UTSA's staff is filled with solid P5 recruiters with good resumes.

They're just doing their jobs.

But can they coach? We'll see.

I agree with that...to a point.  Seeing this kid move around so much as a high schooler, though, just has that August DeBiase feel to it.  I guess the difference is that Mayfield does actually have some legitimate FBS offers. 

(Also - and, this is a joke, so those easily pulled offsides, relax - if Texas Tech really has offered him as a CB, that probably doesn't say a whole lot for his talent level on that side of the ball.)

13 hours ago, Harry said:

Not showing interest is very surprising and rediculas!

23 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Not showing interest is very surprising and rediculas!

I doubt there's no interest.  The kids and their parents do tell schools they are not considering them.  And, that was probably the case here.

In fact, I think that is part of what is driving our early offers and commitments to so many players with only FCS and Division II offers:  our staff has already been told by enough kids at any given position that they are not coming.  So, the staff has to do something in order to get kids signed at all.

1 hour ago, Aldo said:

UTSA's staff is filled with solid P5 recruiters with good resumes.

They're just doing their jobs.

But can they coach? We'll see.

I can argue that we've already seen it, no? 1st bowl appearance in program history in the staffs first season. Beat some good programs along the way. And soundly beat our "coaching" coaching staff. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I can argue that we've already seen it, no? 1st bowl appearance in program history in the staffs first season. Beat some good programs along the way. And soundly beat our "coaching" coaching staff. 

Just one season to me. 

Their FBS wins were vs teams with a combined record of 27-36. They beat a Stockstill-less MTSU and USM was the other >0.500 team.

We moved the ball well vs UTSA. We also moved the ball well *to* UTSA.

My point is jury is still out on the coaching part. They're a mid-level C-USA team that could easily be caught sleeping. Need to out-coach vs more talented teams.

Edited by Aldo
  • Upvote 1