Speaking of leadership

xyresic

Harry brought this up in another thread but it deserves its own discussion.

There is a rumor that the leading candidate for chancellor has taken their name out of the running, late in the process. They had unanimous support.

Now the front runners are candidates that have business/government/political experience rather than actual experience in higher education.

In my opinion it is very important to not make this mistake again. Denton needs to be the focus, it is the bell cow for this thing. We don't need a new guard building up another layer of costs in Dallas.

If you want this thing to keep trending the right direction it's critical to let the regents know that we want someone with experience. We could really continue to build if we had someone with experience who could hit the ground running.

Contact the regents, let them know this matters or I'm afraid we will have a disappointment momentarily.

No one is talking much about this, but it's going to move the needle in a big way. Up to the Mean Green alums out there to make sure it ends up being a positive for the System.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, xyresic said:

Harry brought this up in another thread but it deserves its own discussion.

There is a rumor that the leading candidate for chancellor has taken their name out of the running, late in the process. They had unanimous support.

Now the front runners are candidates that have business/government/political experience rather than actual experience in higher education.

In my opinion it is very important to not make this mistake again. Denton needs to be the focus, it is the bell cow for this thing. We don't need a new guard building up another layer of costs in Dallas.

If you want this thing to keep trending the right direction it's critical to let the regents know that we want someone with experience. We could really continue to build if we had someone with experience who could hit the ground running.

Contact the regents, let them know this matters or I'm afraid we will have a disappointment momentarily.

No one is talking much about this, but it's going to move the needle in a big way. Up to the Mean Green alums out there to make sure it ends up being a positive for the System.

Mind posting how we could do that? 

• Upvote 1

Most large universities have non-academics as chancellor, so that to me is not the issue.    The job is as much political as anything else and getting someone with demonstrated leadership ability and political sway is the way most universities go.  Of all the major state schools in Texas only UH has a leader with an academic background.  

Jackson was a county judge, certainly not the level of politician that any other major university would have considered.  

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, xyresic said:

Rosemary Haggett - secretary to BOR 214.752.5533

Rosemary.Haggett@untsystem.edu

Lindsey Vandagriff - BOR coordinator 214.752.5545

Lindsey.Vandagriff@untsystem.edu

These contacts will be able to pass on messages/emails to the entire BOR. 

Excellent thank you. 

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Jackson was a county judge, certainly not the level of politician that any other major university would have considered.  

Not sure whether NT had a choice. Isn't the chancellor appointed by the governor? Or does the BOR have a role? 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Not sure whether NT had a choice. Isn't the chancellor appointed by the governor? Or does the BOR have a role? 

My understanding is that the BOR does a search and then recommends a candidate to the governor. Usually the governor will go with whoever the BOR chooses, but Abbott could choose someone else if he wanted to.

• Upvote 1

On 7/23/2017 at 6:54 PM, xyresic said:

This is disappointing. I sure hope they will try to find a comparable candidate even if it takes more time.  

To GrandGreen's point - UH has been thriving so I think you inadvertently helped to support my point. The school that took an experienced candidate is crushing it athletically, academically and in community outreach and fundraising.

It is more instructive to look at the schools not named UT and A&M. 

I agree that a really heavy hitter from outside academia could perform well but the remaining candidates mentioned did not seem to fit that bill which caused my original post.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, xyresic said:

To GrandGreen's point - UH has been thriving so I think you inadvertently helped to support my point. The school that took an experienced candidate is crushing it athletically, academically and in community outreach and fundraising.

It is more instructive to look at the schools not named UT and A&M. 

I agree that a really heavy hitter from outside academia could perform well but the remaining candidates mentioned did not seem to fit that bill which caused my original post.

UH is spending a ton of money on athletics running up huge deficits.  Other than that I am not sure that UH is doing.  State schools include a lot more than UT and A&M, but they obviously are the most prominent.  So I am not sure what you mean by more instructive to look at other schools.   

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

UH is spending a ton of money on athletics running up huge deficits.  Other than that I am not sure that UH is doing.  State schools include a lot more than UT and A&M, but they obviously are the most prominent.  So I am not sure what you mean by more instructive to look at other schools.   

Huh?
I thought they had their own 'mini-T-Boone' in Fertita.

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

Huh?
I thought they had their own 'mini-T-Boone' in Fertita.

Saw an article somewhere talking about how the president had commented on how much they were spending and how it wasn't paying off. It was right after their non-acceptance to the Big 12.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Saw an article somewhere talking about how the president had commented on how much they were spending and how it wasn't paying off. It was right after their non-acceptance to the Big 12.

Yes I saw the same article.  That said, they have positioned themselves very well for the next realignment which is important too.

• Harry featured this topic