Top 10 reasons UTSA is not a rival

casual fan

1. They aren't rivals because we already beat them once.

2. They may have beat us 3 out of 4 ........but we don't care because they are not really a rival.

3. They're in our division, but so what.

4. We would rather beat any of the other teams on our schedule more.

5. Saying we are rivals would be like saying we compete for the same recruits.

6. No trophy........no rivalry.

7. If we don't mention they're on the schedule maybe no one will notice.

8. Other sports writers may heap praise on them, but we have Bret Vito to "brag" on us.

9. As Groucho Marx said, I don't want to belong to any group that would have me as a member.

10. UTSA has the San Antonio River walk and we have De Nile.

• Upvote 9
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 8

#1 reason they are not a rival...we have only played 4 times, ever, in the history of ever.

For a look at other potential rivals that we have played 4 times in our history:

Alabama
Ole Miss
Missouri State
San Jose State
Southern Illinois
Texas-San Antonio

If we give it some more time, I am sure one of them might begin to emerge.  My guess is Alabama, but it probably a little premature to know which, if any, of these teams might develop into a rivalry.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexan95 said:

The "UTSA is a rival" crowd keeps yelling it from all corners but they are still in the minority.  

Totally ok with UTSA not being a rival. So who would you say us our rival?

UTSA could be a good future candidate to be one. Not far from us and are up and coming. 

Again, who's a better candidate? 

An in-state rival would be nice to have. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MrStrange18 said:

Totally ok with UTSA not being a rival. So who would you say us our rival?

UTSA could be a good future candidate to be one. Not far from us and are up and coming. 

Again, who's a better candidate? 

An in-state rival would be nice to have. 

SMU works ... at least from our side of the equation. 

I always had a soft spot for New Mexico State since NCAA Football had them as our rival.

During the Sun Belt years MTSU was developing into a nice rivalry. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

To me they became rival #2 behind SMU the day they cost the '13 team the CUSA west title. They further cemented themselves there last year after killing our post-Marshall/Army momentum. Other than SMU, I can't think of a single team I'd rather beat. If that isn't a rival, I don't know what is.

• Upvote 6

22 minutes ago, Texas Stranger said:

How would you answer the question "If we were not in the same conference, would we schedule them OOC ?"

My answer is only as a guarantee game, not a 1 and 1.  Since they would likely not agree to that, then I think it's highly doubtful we would ever play each other out of conference.

If UTSA weren't in the 7th largest U S city, and if that city wasn't without a pro team, and if they hadn't hired Frank Wilson who signed 17 three star players this year to go along with 20 from the previous 2 years, then I wouldn't fear what will happen to my alma mater in  this non rivalry over the next few years.

I've painfully watched NTSU / UNT for about half of the passed 100 years repeatedly tie its own shoe laces together.   UTSA decided to skip all that and use velcro.

I truly hope we win every game against UTSA, but damn if they haven't  made all the right moves in their short history.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, southsideguy said:

I thought UTEP and UTSA were rivals.  Both in the same system and have the same school colors.  

Seems that with UTEP being almost twice the distance from UTSA that we are would play a factor. We are daytrip driving distance from UTSA if needed, UTEP isn't.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, southsideguy said:

I thought UTEP and UTSA were rivals.  Both in the same system and have the same school colors.  

I too thought the Border Twins had a rivalry brewing...sort of like Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, but with blue and orange sombreros.

• Upvote 2

Frank Wilson may leave within 3 years and when he does UTSA is going to fade away. This "rivalry" is a flash in the pan that will run its course. UTSA needs an instate rival, they need us more than we need them.

• Upvote 1

On 7/23/2017 at 0:39 AM, casual fan said:

If UTSA weren't in the 7th largest U S city, and if that city wasn't without a pro team, and if they hadn't hired Frank Wilson who signed 17 three star players this year to go along with 20 from the previous 2 years, then I wouldn't fear what will happen to my alma mater in  this non rivalry over the next few years.

I've painfully watched NTSU / UNT for about half of the passed 100 years repeatedly tie its own shoe laces together.   UTSA decided to skip all that and use velcro.

I truly hope we win every game against UTSA, but damn if they haven't  made all the right moves in their short history.

San Antonio is the 7th largest city limit in the US, yes. Dallas is 9th. But, and maybe more important to your argument base, is metropolitan population...Hence more eyeballs, talent, media relations, attendance driver, etc. Dallas metro population is the 4th largest metropolitan in the US at 7.2 million, with only NYC, LA, and Chicago ahead. San Antonio comes in at 24th, at 2.4 million. I hear the San Antonio is bigger argument quite frequently on this board as if it is some advantage to them and crutch to us. It's just not true, not even remotely. 

The rest of your argument is valid. However, utsa does have the biggest t-shirt fan university in thr state, maybe the country just 70 miles north. People often point out smu and tcu as some kind of handicap for us. Having UT in their backyarf can't be that advantageous for them. They also have the most successful pro basketball team in their city over the last 20 years. I only point that out because football and basketball  seasons do run together. They have some of the very obstacles we have. Maybe not to the same degree, but they exist. As far as recruiting, they're beating our faces in here in this regard. 

Edited by Ben Gooding

On 7/22/2017 at 4:21 AM, casual fan said:

1. They aren't rivals because we already beat them once.

2. They may have beat us 3 out of 4 ........but we don't care because they are not really a rival.

3. They're in our division, but so what.

4. We would rather beat any of the other teams on our schedule more.

5. Saying we are rivals would be like saying we compete for the same recruits.

6. No trophy........no rivalry.

7. If we don't mention they're on the schedule maybe no one will notice.

8. Other sports writers may heap praise on them, but we have Bret Vito to "brag" on us.

9. As Groucho Marx said, I don't want to belong to any group that would have me as a member.

10. UTSA has the San Antonio River walk and we have De Nile.

Top 10 reasons UTSA is a rival.

1. NT & UTSA have a long history of playing

2. NT vs UTSA draws a lot of national attention

3. NT vs UTSA draws a lot of state-wide attention

4. NT vs UTSA is the biggest game on the schedule for both teams

5. NT vs UTSA is always close to a sell out

6. NT and UTSA are both off of IS 35

7. Players of both teams rather beat the other more than any other team

8. The CUSA title always runs through Denton and San Antonio

9.  Apogee and the Alamodome are the direct opposite of the other

10.  Rivalries can be manufactured

• Upvote 1

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 0:39 AM, casual fan said:

Well said! If not UTSA, who?[please don't say SMU, as it takes two to tango.]

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

23 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Seems that with UTEP being almost twice the distance from UTSA that we are would play a factor. We are daytrip driving distance from UTSA if needed, UTEP isn't.

If "distance" is a measuring stick, then look no further than crossing the border into Northern Louisiana for our more-natural "rival".
Denton to Ruston
Denton to San Antonio

People are too blinded by the Soza show in 2013 and even moreso by the moronic trolls that keep coming on here and stiring up s***.

UTSA is not a "rival".

• Upvote 3