Top 10 reasons UTSA is not a rival

casual fan

12 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Why do we keep acting like Frank Wilson is some godsend?

The only reason he's a HC is because UTSA was desperate.

Cool, he can "recruit." Let's see on-field performance.

Isn't this all the same stuff UNT could say about Littrell?  
Wilson improved their team from 3-9 to 6-6 last year, 1 less win than Littrell's improvement from the McCarney disaster in 2015.

And the pudding is usually tastier with better ingredients, right?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Isn't this all the same stuff UNT could say about Littrell?  
Wilson improved their team from 3-9 to 6-6 last year, 1 less win than Littrell's improvement from the McCarney disaster in 2015.

And the pudding is usually tastier with better ingredients, right?

I never said it wasn't. I was vehemently against the extension. Kinda stupid to act like either coach--especially Wilson--are the second coming.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If "distance" is a measuring stick, then look no further than crossing the border into Northern Louisiana for our more-natural "rival".
Denton to Ruston
Denton to San Antonio

People are too blinded by the Soza show in 2013 and even moreso by the moronic trolls that keep coming on here and stiring up s***.

UTSA is not a "rival".

I don't get your point. Apogee to the Alamodome is 300 miles and 4.5 hours. Apogee to Joe Aillet Stadium is 300 miles and 4.5 hours.

I don't have any reason to HATE LaTech and they are also in another state. A state I've never thought was rival of Texas either. I don't remember caring about LaTech back to when Zach Champion was quarterbacking them to victory over our two platoon (starters and green team) setup under Dickey. I don't remember them ever beating us in a game of significance we should've won as UTSA has and LaTech doesn't fight for the same resources coming out of Austin that we do. UTSA does. You may not believe they are a rival of ours and that would make you no different than the SMUg fans that assert we are not a rival of theirs.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I don't get your point. Apogee to the Alamodome is 300 miles and 4.5 hours. Apogee to Joe Aillet Stadium is 300 miles and 4.5 hours.

I don't have any reason to HATE LaTech and they are also in another state. A state I've never thought was rival of Texas either. I don't remember caring about LaTech back to when Zach Champion was quarterbacking them to victory over our two platoon (starters and green team) setup under Dickey. I don't remember them ever beating us in a game of significance we should've won as UTSA has and LaTech doesn't fight for the same resources coming out of Austin that we do. UTSA does. You may not believe they are a rival of ours and that would make you no different than the SMUg fans that assert we are not a rival of theirs.

The truth is sometimes difficult to take.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

So you are essentially saying that we have no rivals and all teams on our schedule mean the same?

Yes.  That is our current situation.   And that's OK.
If I were forced to choose, I would rather win in Dallas 9/9 and lose at Apogee 10/14.  I think most would agree.
Heck, I would rather lose at Apogee 10/14 if we could win in Ruston 11/4.   Beating or losing to UTSA moves the needle zero for me...  No matter how hard their imbecilic fans try to goad me.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Why do we keep acting like Frank Wilson is some godsend?

The only reason he's a HC is because UTSA was desperate.

Cool, he can "recruit." Let's see on-field performance.

"Desperate"???  Their AD did his research and made a heck of a call.

They won 6 games his first season with a 3 point bowl loss.

Wilson at LSU was the 2011 Recruiter of the Year by Rivals.

In 2014 he was named the top recruiter in all of college football by NFL.com.

He recruited 17 three star players this year to UTSA and is on a hot pace for next year.

If UNT doesn't get "desperate" and win some of the games with them soon, then any talk of a rivalry will end like a bad joke.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, casual fan said:

"Desperate"???  Their AD did his research and made a heck of a call.

They won 6 games his first season with a 3 point bowl loss.

Wilson at LSU was the 2011 Recruiter of the Year by Rivals.

In 2014 he was named the top recruiter in all of college football by NFL.com.

He recruited 17 three star players this year to UTSA and is on a hot pace for next year.

If UNT doesn't get "desperate" and win some of the games with them soon, then any talk of a rivalry will end like a bad joke.

UTSA was calling around begging for anyone to take the job. Wilson was the only person remotely qualified available at that time. Lol

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

In my opinion, a rivalry is a mutual hatred between two teams that would rather toss gasoline on the other if they were on fire than put them out.

I have a deep hatred for both SMU and UTSA and there POS fans so I view them as a rival but what makes America GREAT is that fact everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

GOD BLESS NORTH TEXAS

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Ryan Munthe said:

UTSA was calling around begging for anyone to take the job. Wilson was the only person remotely qualified available at that time. Lol

In 2016, Wilson at $835,000 was the 2nd highest paid coach in CUSA.  David Baliff at Rice was 1st at $903,556.

They picked Wilson over some other coaches with head coaching experience.  They also put in a $2.9 million buy out clause.

We keep being dismissive, but they are serious down there.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 7/24/2017 at 0:13 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

Yes.  That is our current situation.   And that's OK.
If I were forced to choose, I would rather win in Dallas 9/9 and lose at Apogee 10/14.  I think most would agree.
Heck, I would rather lose at Apogee 10/14 if we could win in Ruston 11/4.   Beating or losing to UTSA moves the needle zero for me...  No matter how hard their imbecilic fans try to goad me.

I'd much rather win the conference game.

• Upvote 3

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

OK.  That's fair. 
Simply because it's a conference game?  Or because UTSA makes your blood boil as others are arguing?

I think part of the appeal of UTSA-as-rival stems from the fact that they are a conference foe.

I've been on the record as embracing this thing. I do not see why there is any push back on this from anyone. In fact, even the silly (to me) "I DO NOT LIKE THEM BECAUSE THEY ARE FORCING THIS RIVALRY STUFF" fuels the feelings that a rival make. Like, the essence of a 'rivalry' is that it makes you extra invested in the outcome. It is part of the enjoyment of the sport. Like, Fake Wrestling and Boxing and MMA all play up this essential part of the contest -- the storyline stuff -- that make it extra interesting beyond "there is a foot - ball contest this week-end".

When I enrolled at NT I was excited about sports-hating the rival and was pretty disappointed to find that we do not sports-hate anyone. Its almost like no one cares (which, it turns out, is precisely the case).

In short I embrace more reasons to care about this silly, dangerous game that will probably be banned for being inhumane and one of the fun parts is faux-tribalism. This is why I think we _can_ actually choose to have a rival. It is all silly, irrational fake-hatred that shouldn't exist in the first place and so it is a very meta-commentary upon the entire idea to simply declare sports-war against a team. Therefore I sports-hate UTSA, and SMU. It only has to slightly have some internal logic (suspension of disbelief etc) to light the kindling of real feelings.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, aztecskin said:

I think part of the appeal of UTSA-as-rival stems from the fact that they are a conference foe.

I've been on the record as embracing this thing. I do not see why there is any push back on this from anyone. In fact, even the silly (to me) "I DO NOT LIKE THEM BECAUSE THEY ARE FORCING THIS RIVALRY STUFF" fuels the feelings that a rival make. Like, the essence of a 'rivalry' is that it makes you extra invested in the outcome. It is part of the enjoyment of the sport. Like, Fake Wrestling and Boxing and MMA all play up this essential part of the contest -- the storyline stuff -- that make it extra interesting beyond "there is a foot - ball contest this week-end".

When I enrolled at NT I was excited about sports-hating the rival and was pretty disappointed to find that we do not sports-hate anyone. Its almost like no one cares (which, it turns out, is precisely the case).

In short I embrace more reasons to care about this silly, dangerous game that will probably be banned for being inhumane and one of the fun parts is faux-tribalism. This is why I think we _can_ actually choose to have a rival. It is all silly, irrational fake-hatred that shouldn't exist in the first place and so it is a very meta-commentary upon the entire idea to simply declare sports-war against a team. Therefore I sports-hate UTSA, and SMU. It only has to slightly have some internal logic (suspension of disbelief etc) to light the kindling of real feelings.

You don't have sports-hate against others like:  UTEP that NT has played forever and got the nod over NT for early inclusion in CUSA when it meant something,  La Tech that consistently beats NT on the field and simply owns NT in recruiting,  USM whose fans think they are way above NT and the rest of the conference.  Rice once a member of the college elite and always a pleasure to beat.    

Every team in fb division football is technically a rival certainly including all conference mates.  If it makes anyone happy to pick any team as a special rival, that is great.  Go to all the games you can, but make your rivalry game extra special.   

• Upvote 1

On 7/23/2017 at 0:10 AM, Cr1028 said:

To me they became rival #2 behind SMU the day they cost the '13 team the CUSA west title.

Makes two of us.  That still stings.  What stings more is Mac acted like it was no big deal.

42 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

You don't have sports-hate against others like:  UTEP that NT has played forever and got the nod over NT for early inclusion in CUSA when it meant something,  La Tech that consistently beats NT on the field and simply owns NT in recruiting,  USM whose fans think they are way above NT and the rest of the conference.  Rice once a member of the college elite and always a pleasure to beat.    

Every team in fb division football is technically a rival certainly including all conference mates.  If it makes anyone happy to pick any team as a special rival, that is great.  Go to all the games you can, but make your rivalry game extra special.   

I read this as agreeing generally, but with a question that I'll answer here:

For me the bit of logic that makes it easier for me to generate the appropriate sports-hate is the proximity to the fans. UTEP has some fun fans, but I honestly only have encountered maybe one. They have the most active blog group but even that is waning a bit. The Rice folks are clever and there is a Houston thing going on, but I do not know one Rice fan. La Tech and USM have similar problems. I have a friend who is a USM alumnus so I talk to him about them but there isn't much going on.

Right now the only ones that like to pretend to care are the UTSA fans so I take what I can get. But yes, it seems like we agree here that its a bit personal.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, casual fan said:

In 2016, Wilson at $835,000 was the 2nd highest paid coach in CUSA.  David Baliff at Rice was 1st at $903,556.

They picked Wilson over some other coaches with head coaching experience.  They also put in a $2.9 million buy out clause.

We keep being dismissive, but they are serious down there.

They didn't pick him over coaches with head coach experience. They picked Frank because they were late to the game and he was the best available. Consolation prize.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

The base was $650,000 but with bonuses, etc. it pushed it up to the $835,000 range.

Whatever they pay him, they are going have a hard time trying to keep him.

However if he continues recruiting like he has so far, he will leave them in pretty good shape.

For any college football program, good recruiting = continuity.

A coach who has one good season but then doesn't recruit well = disaster for the program.

Edited by casual fan

8 hours ago, casual fan said:

The base was $650,000 but with bonuses, etc. it pushed it up to the $835,000 range.

Whatever they pay him, they are going have a hard time trying to keep him.

However if he continues recruiting like he has so far, he will leave them in pretty good shape.

For any college football program, good recruiting = continuity.

A coach who has one good season but then doesn't recruit well = disaster for the program.

If I didn't miss something this makes Littrell the highest paid coach in the league.