DRC: UNT picked to finish 4th in C-USA West Division

Brett Vito

3 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Agree 164%.  If a team that has been on the shelf for a couple of seasons rolls in and hands it to us, we're done.  And, to me, at that point, we're Dan McCarney 2015 done. 

Sorry, I'm too old now and long in the tooth to see bullsh*t then call it anything else.  For the better part of three decades now, we've become too accustomed to seeing outright bullsh*t and calling it "rebuilding,"

The "rebuilding" bit is, to me, bullsh*t on top of bullsh*t because we've never been built in the first place since we came back to D I-AA in 1995.  Corky had something built at I-AA.  Hayden Fry and Odus Mitchell had something built.  Dickey was getting sparks, it seemed, but the fire didn't last long.

Dickey had three winning seasons in a row from 2002-2004.  Before that, Hayden Fry went four in a row from 1975-1978.  Before that, Odus/Rod Rsut strung together four winners from 1966-1969.

If it looks and smells like a loser, these days, it probably is.  Losing to UAB in 2017 will certainly have the look and smell of another loser.  That Dickey three year run is getting further and further away as the seasons pass, too.

This...so this.

Losing to Lamar or UAB is just unacceptable. The argument could be made that losing to UAB would be less understandable because Lamar is the opener and every once in awhile, the FCS/bodybag opponent wins their first game of the season on the road at the program paying the check. UAB, though, is middle of the season, conference opponent, with plenty of time to have worked out the glitches in the system by the time we play.

Maybe next year, a loss to UAB would be acceptable or understandable, but its not this year. To me, it would be as telling to lose to them as it was to lose to SMU in 2015, with their first year coach in his first game after taking over the absolute worst team in FBS in 2014. When you lose to a team like that, not only are you telling everyone they aren't the worst anymore (see us beating Rice last year), you're now squarely behind that team in being worse. Its kind of funny, USM was the worst team in FBS in 2012 and 2013, then beat some teams (including us) in 2014 to begin the turnaround from only winning 1 game in the previous two years. Then SMU beat us in 2015, after being the worst in FBS in 2014, and they started their turnaround that has got them to 5 wins last year and looking at a probable bowl berth this year (and probable loss of their head coach). And we were the worst in 2015, then beat Rice, Army, Marshall, and USM in 2016 at the FBS level, letting a lot of the world see we aren't the dreg of FBS anymore. I see UAB being that dreg this year for all of FBS.

39 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

This...so this.

Losing to Lamar or UAB is just unacceptable. The argument could be made that losing to UAB would be less understandable because Lamar is the opener and every once in awhile, the FCS/bodybag opponent wins their first game of the season on the road at the program paying the check. UAB, though, is middle of the season, conference opponent, with plenty of time to have worked out the glitches in the system by the time we play.

Maybe next year, a loss to UAB would be acceptable or understandable, but its not this year. To me, it would be as telling to lose to them as it was to lose to SMU in 2015, with their first year coach in his first game after taking over the absolute worst team in FBS in 2014. When you lose to a team like that, not only are you telling everyone they aren't the worst anymore (see us beating Rice last year), you're now squarely behind that team in being worse. Its kind of funny, USM was the worst team in FBS in 2012 and 2013, then beat some teams (including us) in 2014 to begin the turnaround from only winning 1 game in the previous two years. Then SMU beat us in 2015, after being the worst in FBS in 2014, and they started their turnaround that has got them to 5 wins last year and looking at a probable bowl berth this year (and probable loss of their head coach). And we were the worst in 2015, then beat Rice, Army, Marshall, and USM in 2016 at the FBS level, letting a lot of the world see we aren't the dreg of FBS anymore. I see UAB being that dreg this year for all of FBS.

I keep seeing UAB loss as totally unacceptable, and while I don't think there's any reason we lose to them, everyone does realize they were allowed to sign partial qualifiers.  As in guys who other D1s wanted but couldn't get because of their academics.  Guys who never end up at UAB if that doesn't happen.  They're going to have a ton of talent make no mistake about that.  

Just read this this article also, didn't realize during their rebuild those guys were allowed to freeze their eligibility... gunna be playing grown men by their senior season.  This staff was afforded a lot of extra time for evaluations, while every other staff was coaching and game planning, they were evaluating.  

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/uab-blazers/2015/8/18/9169641/bill-clark-rebuild-uab-roster

2nd article talks about them being allowed to sign 45 guys their first class.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/02/uab_college_football_ncaa_spri.html

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Just read this this article also, didn't realize during their rebuild those guys were allowed to freeze their eligibility...

Man I am going to tell you this, they beat Mac like a red-headed step child 56-21 in our last game in 2014.  Their coach recruited the hell out of jucos and transfers and they were one of the most talented teams we played that season in my opinion.  Now they have rebuilt and believe me they put together a smart plan which maximizes their situation with the layoff.  They have the same exact coach and he will have them extremely prepared.  I think they are the darkhorse of the league this year.

People are calling them America's team given their remarkable return from the football grave.  Here is a good article to catch up on them:

http://gridironnow.com/2017-uab-blazers-football-new-americas-team/

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Man I am going to tell you this, they beat Mac like a red-headed step child 56-21 in our last game in 2014.  Their coach recruited the hell out of jucos and transfers and they were one of the most talented teams we played that season in my opinion.  Now they have rebuilt and believe me they put together a smart plan which maximizes their situation with the layoff.  They have the same exact coach and he will have them extremely prepared.  I think they are the darkhorse of the league this year.

People are calling them America's team given their remarkable return from the football grave.  Here is a good article to catch up on them:

http://gridironnow.com/2017-uab-blazers-football-new-americas-team/

Last season, former UAB linebacker Jake Ganus led Georgia with 101 tackles.

Former UAB linebacker T.J. McCollum led Western Kentucky with 106 tackles.

Former UAB running back Jordan Howard led Indiana in rushing (1,229 yards in nine games) and was second in the Big Ten in rushing yards per game (134.8) to Ohio State's Ezekiel Elliott (140.1).

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Partial qualifiers.  Hmmm, wonder if they will all stay eligible.

I believe it was the already at JUCO, but hadn't completed the degree type of partial qualifiers not then HS non qualifiers. I can't locate the article I read on the topic awhile back?

I don't know how this can be - maybe the medical school - but it is: UAB as an institution is on an entire higher level than NT in terms of reputation. But this year their football team is picked to finish last for a reason. Honestly though I was surprised we got put as high as we did. 

• Upvote 1

UAB has been able to practice as well for now 2 offseasons...

This isn't a team that is just being thrown together and then ran onto the field 5-6 weeks later...We can say that they lack game experience but these guys will be hungry and talented and looking to prove people wrong who think they are an easy W.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

UAB has been able to practice as well for now 2 offseasons...

This isn't a team that is just being thrown together and then ran onto the field 5-6 weeks later...We can say that they lack game experience but these guys will be hungry and talented and looking to prove people wrong who think they are an easy W.

They'll catch 2/3 CUSA teams who don't take them seriously.

• Upvote 3

We for sure have Beaten Dog Syndrome. Already making excuses for losing to a team that hasn't played a game in two years. 

The bottom line is, if UAB beats us, it says something about their coaching staff and ours.  We haven't had a two year gap in actual game playing.  I don't care how many partial qualifiers they have.  When they arrive at Apogee Stadium on September 30, 2017, they will have only played three games together as a team after not playing at all for two years.

Now, if that's all it would take to roll in and beat the 2017 UNT squad, again, I'll say that we will be 2015 Dan McCarney-type done. 

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

We for sure have Beaten Dog Syndrome. Already making excuses for losing to a team that hasn't played a game in two years. 

The bottom line is, if UAB beats us, it says something about their coaching staff and ours.  We haven't had a two year gap in actual game playing.  I don't care how many partial qualifiers they have.  When they arrive at Apogee Stadium on September 30, 2017, they will have only played three games together as a team after not playing at all for two years.

Now, if that's all it would take to roll in and beat the 2017 UNT squad, again, I'll say that we will be 2015 Dan McCarney-type done. 

Its not an excuse at all... It is presenting facts about the situation.... We haven't seen UAB play, so how do we know they are a cakewalk? They have been able to pick up a large # of recruits and some talented one on top of that (multiple kids from the Last Chance U Netflix show) and have been practicing for multiple years as well. 

We have the game experience over them but outside of that its near even. The fans need to come out because this as of now, is not a cakewalk till we see them play. Beating UAB is a must when it comes to getting to 6 wins but this is far from the Portland State match up. 

11 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Its not an excuse at all... It is presenting facts about the situation.... We haven't seen UAB play, so how do we know they are a cakewalk? They have been able to pick up a large # of recruits and some talented one on top of that (multiple kids from the Last Chance U Netflix show) and have been practicing for multiple years as well. 

We have the game experience over them but outside of that its near even. The fans need to come out because this as of now, is not a cakewalk till we see them play. Beating UAB is a must when it comes to getting to 6 wins but this is far from the Portland State match up

Yes, very far from.  That Portland State team beat Mike Leach's Wazzu program at Wazzu to open the season, beat us, and five FCS-ranked schools, and went into the second round of the FCS playoffs.  That Portland State squad would beat UAB...and, so should we.

I can tell that this is going to go like all other coaches before - epic losses, lots of weeping and gnashing of teeth, with people crying aloud that the new staff inherited a bad hand and could never recover.

If we lose to UAB, it'll be the same horsesh*t theme we've seen played out time after time after time over the better part of three decades now.

So, the solution is to man up and not lose to a program that hasn't played football in two years.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Yes, very far from.  That Portland State team beat Mike Leach's Wazzu program at Wazzu to open the season, beat us, and five FCS-ranked schools, and went into the second round of the FCS playoffs.  That Portland State squad would beat UAB...and, so should we.

I can tell that this is going to go like all other coaches before - epic losses, lots of weeping and gnashing of teeth, with people crying aloud that the new staff inherited a bad hand and could never recover.

If we lose to UAB, it'll be the same horsesh*t theme we've seen played out time after time after time over the better part of three decades now.

So, the solution is to man up and not lose to a program that hasn't played football in two years.

We don't know that.   That's the argument here.  

If UAB rolls into Denton 3-0 (after playing 2 FCS schools & Ball St), will they be taken seriously?   Or will we still be looking down on them as Lamar 2.0, with some wins against inferior FCS teams and some luck against Ball St?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We don't know that.   That's the argument here.  

If UAB rolls into Denton 3-0 (after playing 2 FCS schools & Ball St), will they be taken seriously?   Or will we still be looking down on them as Lamar 2.0, with some wins against inferior FCS teams and some luck against Ball St?

You are asking me if I will be fearful of UAB if they beat Alabama A&M, Ball State, and Coastal Carolina? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

You are asking me if I will be fearful of UAB if they beat Alabama A&M, Ball State, and Coastal Carolina? 

Considering our team, and our history... yes.
...if by "fearful", you mean, "We need to play this team straight up instead of how we'll likely be playing Lamar" (as more of a 'get-the-kinks-out' warm up game).

• Upvote 1

No.  I will not be fearful. 

Alabama A&M lost 55-0 to Middle Tennessee and Auburn in 2016.  Ball State was 4-8...those four wins coming against Georgia State. Eastern Kentucky, Florida Atlantic, and Buffalo.  Coastal Carolina is an FCS call up to the Sun Burp this season.  They played no FBS schools in 2016.  

Because all of those schools are suspect, going 3-0 against them tells me nothing.  Even a win over Ball State tells me nothing because the season before the Cardinals never beat anyone of any consequence.

If we cannot beat UAB, we are in serious trouble.  And, I would even go so far as to say, if we don't beat them by two or three touchdown, we're having serious problems either on offense or defense.

I feel the same way about Lamar.  If they are within 21 of us at the final gun, that's a problem.  Even if the score is 21-0.  If we can only hang 21 on them, that's an offensive nightmare. 

Here's the thing:  there has to be a real standard.  What competition level do you expect from a $1 million coach, highest paid coaching staff in the school's history, playing in the best stadium the school has ever had. 

For all of that, the standard to me is, you move the ball easily against FCS-level programs.  You beat schools who lose often.  You give body bag game opponents hell and are not being blown out at half.

Look at the Iowa game, too, folks.  You are looking at a guy Kirk Ferentz who is under constant pressure for "underperforming," according to their fan base.  Unlike Nick Saban, who began pulling starters in the second quarter against us a few years back, Ferentz allowed the Hawkeyes to hang 62 on us a couple of seasons ago.  He will run up a score.

His buddy Bob Stoops retired from Oklahoma.  He will be under pressure to win or the alumni will be breathing the name "Bob Stoops" down his neck all year.  Not that I think Stoops will come out of retirement.  But, that's how fans are.  Their fans will expect them to run roughshod over us. 

They will be coming off their annual rival game with Iowa State, which they've split 3-3 over the past six seasons.  A poor showing or loss to Iowa State, and they will be absolutely bloodthirsty when we roll in the next weekend.  

If we are f*cking arround against Lamar, excusing a loss to SMU, which has yet to have a winning season with SMU Jesus, Iowa will slaughter us.  

UAB should be a bit of a break after back-to-backs against "rival" to George Dunham SMU and Iowa.  And, the week before we have to travel to Southern Miss. 

I say, it should be.  What I'm saying is that if it isn't, Lucy will have some 'splaining to do - five games into a 12 game slate.

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

No.  I will not be fearful. 

Alabama A&M lost 55-0 to Middle Tennessee and Aubrn in 2016.  Ball State was 4-8...those four wins coming against Georgia State. Eastern Kentucky, Florida Atlantic, and Buffalo.  Coastal Carolina is an FCS call up to the Sun Burp this season.  They played no FBS schools in 2016.  

Because all of those schools are suspect, going 3-0 against them tells me nothing.  Even a win over Ball State tells me nothing because the season before the Cardinals never beat anyone of any consequence.

If we cannot beat UAB, we are in serious trouble.  And, I would even go so far as to say, if we don't beat them by two or three touchdown, we're having serious problems either on offense or defense.

I feel the same way about Lamar.  If they are within 21 of us at the final gun, that's a problem.  Even if the score is 21-0.  If we can only hang 21 on them, that's an offensive nightmare. 

Here's the thing:  there has to be a real standard.  What competition level do you expect from a $1 million coach, highest paid coaching staff in the school's history, playing in the best stadium the school has ever had. 

For all of that, the standard to me is, you move the ball easily against FCS-level programs.  You beat schools who lose often.  You give body bag game opponents hell and are not being blown out at half.

Look at the Iowa game, too, folks.  You are looking at a guy Kirk Ferentz who is under constant pressure for "underperforming," according to their fan base.  Unlike Nick Saban, who began pulling starters in the second quarter against us a few years back, Ferentz allowed the Hawkeyes to hang 62 on us a couple of seasons ago.  He will run up a score.

His buddy Bob Stoops retired from Oklahoma.  He will be under pressure to win or the alumni will be breathing the name "Bob Stoops" down his neck all year.  Not that I think Stoops will come out of retirement.  But, that's how fans are.  Their fans will expect them to run roughshod over us. 

They will be coming off their annual rival game with Iowa State, which they've split 3-3 over the past six seasons.  A poor showing or loss to Iowa State, and they will be absolutely bloodthirsty when we roll in the next weekend.  

If we are f*cking arround against Lamar, excusing a loss to SMU, which has yet to have a winning season with SMU Jesus, Iowa will slaughter us.  

UAB should be a bit of a break after back-to-backs against "rival" to George Dunham SMU and Iowa.  And, the week before we have to travel to Southern Miss. 

I say, it should be.  What I'm saying is that if it isn't, Lucy will have some 'splaining to do - five games into a 12 game slate.

There is a tertiary argument going on about "standards" here.   That's not what I'm talking about.   I believe we should beat UAB.  Especially given Littrell's track record of offensive explosions in his second season at each of his 3 previous stops as OC, and yes, his paycheck.

I'm talking about an unknown team that I think will be much more difficult for the Mean Green (and everyone else in C-USA) than Lamar.  
You're assuming UAB and Lamar are more on the same level.  That's fine.  Maybe they are.   But if they're not...  I don't want UNT to be their first C-USA victim because we're lollygagging against them as we'll likely be doing against Lamar.

If UAB trounces Alabama A&M, eeks out a close win VS Ball St, and beats CCU by whatever, would that be enough for you to say, "Hey, maybe this team is good enough to play UNT close?"

What if (and let me be clear: I completely agree that a loss to UAB will be a huge setback to this season) UAB goes on to beat 3-4 C-USA teams this season?  If one of those wins is against UNT, does the loss still look as bad as the catastrophe you're making it out to be?

I believe UAB will not be 0-fer in conference play.  It sounds like you believe UAB will be drubbed by 21+ every week VS C-USA teams.  Both are assumptions that cannot be proven at this time.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

There is a tertiary argument going on about "standards" here.   That's not what I'm talking about.   I believe we should beat UAB.  Especially given Littrell's track record of offensive explosions in his second season at each of his 3 previous stops as OC, and yes, his paycheck.

I'm talking about an unknown team that I think will be much more difficult for the Mean Green (and everyone else in C-USA) than Lamar.  
You're assuming UAB and Lamar are more on the same level.  That's fine.  Maybe they are.   But if they're not...  I don't want UNT to be their first C-USA victim because we're lollygagging against them as we'll likely be doing against Lamar.

If UAB trounces Alabama A&M, eeks out a close win VS Ball St, and beats CCU by whatever, would that be enough for you to say, "Hey, maybe this team is good enough to play UNT close?"

What if (and let me be clear: I completely agree that a loss to UAB will be a huge setback to this season) UAB goes on to beat 3-4 C-USA teams this season?  If one of those wins is against UNT, does the loss still look as bad as the catastrophe you're making it out to be?

I believe UAB will not be 0-fer in conference play.  It sounds like you believe UAB will be drubbed by 21+ every week VS C-USA teams.  Both are assumptions that cannot be proven at this time.

UAB has not played football for two years.  I don't care what they did in 2014, or who has transferred in there.

If they gel and start beating people in late October or November, that's one thing.  But, when they play us, we will be facing a team full of players who have only played three games together in two years...at the FBS level!  And, they will have only played one school, Ball State, who will have been FBS for longer than a year. 

Let me just say this...if UAB is winning games in September...if they get out of September 2-2 with wins against us and Ball State, they will be looking for a new head coach for 2018 because some P5 will snatch up Bill Clark.  And, my guess is, the leader would be an Auburn tired of watching Guz Malzahn's 8-5, 7-6 act as Alabama keeps winning.

Clark is a Bama native, successful high school coach there before catching on with Bama colleges South Alabama, Jacksonville State, and UAB. 

I don't believe Bill Clark is so good, though, that he can take a team that hasn't played in two years and make them competitive first year out of the box.  If he does, it will be bad news for us because it will show how slow our coaching staff is at keeping up (or, even, getting up) and good news for him because Auburn of someone else will make him a very rich man in 2018.

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 1

I agree with Mailbox's objective expectation that we should see a well-coached competent Mean Green team this year that will make fools out of the Blazers, which are teetering on the edge of foolishness anyway with one of the worst team names of all time. The issue is that we don't really know what we're going to see. The range of possibilities is pretty wide.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Calm down.  S happens in games.  

10 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

UAB has not played football for two years.  I don't care what they did in 2014, or who has transferred in there.

If they gel and start beating people in late October or November, that's one thing.  But, when they play us, we will be facing a team full of players who have only played three games together in two years...at the FBS level!  And, they will have only played one school, Ball State, who will have been FBS for longer than a year. 

Let me just say this...if UAB is winning games in September...if they get out of September 2-2 with wins against us and Ball State, they will be looking for a new head coach for 2018 because some P5 will snatch up Bill Clark.  And, my guess is, the leader would be an Auburn tired of watching Guz Malzahn's 8-5, 7-6 act as Alabama keeps winning.

Clark is a Bama native, successful high school coach there before catching on with Bama colleges South Alabama, Jacksonville State, and UAB. 

I don't believe Bill Clark is so good, though, that he can take a team that hasn't played in two years and make them competitive first year out of the box.  If he does, it will be bad news for us because it will show how slow our coaching staff is at keeping up (or, even, getting up) and good news for him because Auburn of someone else will make him a very rich man in 2018.

Yah, he just had 3 kids who left his program who were team/ sec leaders in tackles, leading tackler at WKU, and a RB who damn near out rushed Zeke Elliott behind a much less skilled OL in Indiana.  You're right, UAB will be a door mat for us they won't have any dudes who can play.   

10 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Ole Miss now in running for a HC

13 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

We have the game experience over them but outside of that its near even. The fans need to come out because this as of now, is not a cakewalk till we see them play. Beating UAB is a must when it comes to getting to 6 wins but this is far from the Portland State match up. 

Remind me how it's even? Must've missed that memo. Someone pointed out beaten dog syndrome...To that, I agree. This kind of talk isn't even borderline pitiful, like the usual UNT fandom talk. This is downright pitiful. There is no way they should sniff out an FBS win this year and that includes Ball State. If UAB has Charlotte on their schedule, I'll give them a shot at that one. 

If we lose to UAB, this staff should pack their boxes immediately, go home and pack their houses up, and start updating resumes...AKA calling friends or friends of friends so they can go assistant retread somewhere else. Because I hate to say this, but we'll probably be 1-2 heading into that game as is. Lose to UAB, we'll definitely drop 4 of the next 5 after that with our lone opportunity in that stretch being @ FAU. But with our road history, not sure what kind of odds would be in our favor. It screams disaster. And not just for 2017, but moving forward as well. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/18/2017 at 0:00 PM, UNTFan23 said:

They are a giant question mark since they haven't played a down of football in the past two years.

As far as giant question marks go, I tend to believe they are busts more often than they are diamonds in the rough.   Restarting a program is difficult no matter the circumstances.  Just look at SMU($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$).

• Upvote 1

Have standards friends.  Have standards. Nowhere in my book of standards does it say we need to be begging to beat Lamar and uab.  Most of you all have even conceded smu.  Thank goodness I saw us under different times when we went to Austin Norman and Lubbock expecting to win.  Yes Littrell you must beat utsa this year.  Get'em up get'em out, beat'em back to San Antonio. Go Mean Green!!!!!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NM Green said:

Have standards friends.  Have standards. Nowhere in my book of standards does it say we need to be begging to beat Lamar and uab.  Most of you all have even conceded smu.  Thank goodness I saw us under different times when we went to Austin Norman and Lubbock expecting to win.  Yes Littrell you must beat utsa this year.  Get'em up get'em out, beat'em back to San Antonio. Go Mean Green!!!!!

This is fine and all, but most times, having "standards" means having repercussions if those standards are not met.  

If beating UAB is a "standard" for you, and others, what will you do if that "standard" is not met?    If 'nothing' is your answer, then it was never a "standard" to begin with, just a hope... like most of the rest of us.