'18 DE/OLB Trumane L Bell II - Lake Highlands, Dallas

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Have you seen Ruston/Aillet Stadium?    

Man, Skip must be a magician to get players to come there, because the nearest bells/whistles to Ruston are over 100 miles away.

Now you change it from UTSA to LAT, okay ill list off why they are beating us in recruits as well.. 

LAT has again, added a new locker room, weightroom center and more to the stadium for bells and whistles... On top of them winning... 

They have also multiple kids drafted.. Bulter 2 years ago went in the first round to Carolina, Henderson Rd3 to Denver and more in the most recent draft... 

Edited by BTG_Fan1

14 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Now you change it from UTSA to LAT, okay ill list off why they are beating us in recruits as well.. 

LAT has again, added a new locker room, weightroom center and more to the stadium for bells and whistles... On top of them winning... 

They have also multiple kids drafted.. Bulter 2 years ago went in the first round to Carolina, Henderson Rd3 to Denver and more in the most recent draft... 

The "bells & whistles" mean nothing if you're not winning.  Period.   So when you list off the other crap LATech did with their stadium, even if they didn't do any of that, they'd still be winning the recruiting battles because they've established a winning culture there.  Expectations are there, and yes, you're correct, that includes opportunities to enter the NFL.  

Are you seriously saying UNT does not have "bells & whistles" at all?   Because we seem to be falling flat when recruiting head to head against UTSA and LATech.  So Apogee Stadium, which spanks Aillet (even with whatever extras they've recently added there) would not qualify as something that would lure a recruit here?  A whole section of campus dedicated to Athletics (South of 35E) from room/board, to weightroom, to academic center, etc... would not be something that a recruit would be interested in?   UNT has a lot going for it.   UTSA apparently has hired the salesman of the year for their HC position, because he seems to be able to get guys to come down there when he has not established anything... yet.  What Wilson is doing down there is simply amazing.  He will have that program at LATech's level very soon if he doesn't get poached.  And I have a feeling he would be just as successful whether he were recruiting to the Alamodome or a crappy old stadium like Aillet.

None of it matters because we've gone 4-8, 1-11 & 5-8 over the past 3 seasons, and this year, we just lost a critical rivalry game against a school that we routinely battle with for recruits.   We do not have a winning culture... yet, and that trumps all of these extra side-reasons why anyone would come here.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The "bells & whistles" mean nothing if you're not winning.  Period.   So when you list off the other crap LATech did with their stadium, even if they didn't do any of that, they'd still be winning the recruiting battles because they've established a winning culture there.  Expectations are there, and yes, you're correct, that includes opportunities to enter the NFL.  

Are you seriously saying UNT does not have "bells & whistles" at all?   Because we seem to be falling flat when recruiting head to head against UTSA and LATech.  So Apogee Stadium, which spanks Aillet (even with whatever extras they've recently added there) would not qualify as something that would lure a recruit here?  A whole section of campus dedicated to Athletics (South of 35E) from room/board, to weightroom, to academic center, etc... would not be something that a recruit would be interested in?   UNT has a lot going for it.   UTSA apparently has hired the salesman of the year for their HC position, because he seems to be able to get guys to come down there when he has not established anything... yet.  What Wilson is doing down there is simply amazing.  He will have that program at LATech's level very soon if he doesn't get poached.  And I have a feeling he would be just as successful whether he were recruiting to the Alamodome or a crappy old stadium like Aillet.

None of it matters because we've gone 4-8, 1-11 & 5-8 over the past 3 seasons, and this year, we just lost a critical rivalry game against a school that we routinely battle with for recruits.   We do not have a winning culture... yet, and that trumps all of these extra side-reasons why anyone would come here.

When did I ever say that UNT did not have any bells and whistles??? UNT has many, but we need to expand and grow how many bells and whistles that we have.. What we have now isn't working..

Yes winning is important.. UTSA beat a Baylor team that is 0-3, which may not win a game all year.. Yes its sexy to beat a Big-12 team in Baylor but they are bad, really bad.. UNT challenged a Top 25 team (got multiple votes before the UNT game) and UNT either led or was tied for the first 40 minutes of the game.. The L we took was impressive but its not sexy, while the UTSA W is sexy, but its not impressive if they go 0-12.. It doesn't matter to a kid like Bell (and im sure others) that we had an impressive game compared to a W vs a crappy Big 12 school.. 

Yes, its great having a bunch of land dedicated to Sports like at UNT.. But if you have crap facilities it doesn't matter.. If you don't do anything with it (the space), it doesn't matter.. Give the guys the tools needed to compete... Yes a dorm next to Apogee is nice, but plenty of guys live off campus, a weight room just for football and an IPF are common things in HS now but we are a D1 program that doesn't have either (we just need them to get back on Par)... Apogee yes is nice but the players don't sit in the stands at a stadium, they are on the field and the last time i checked LAT, UTSA, UNT fields are all the same.. 

UTSA and LAT are winning games yes, but UNT won games during the bowl run (so we should still be winning because of that history)... Winning is nice but you have to invest and continue to support the programs.. UTSA is new enough they can get away with we are still adding/growing on top of upgrading.. LAT just dropped a ton of $ on the new weight room/ locker-room etc.. UNT will do that once they announce and start the IPF and Ath. Center expansion.. WB  has talked about how the facilities outside of Apogee were in bad shape.. 

3 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Yes, its great having a bunch of land dedicated to Sports like at UNT.. But if you have crap facilities it doesn't matter.. If you don't do anything with it (the space), it doesn't matter.. Give the guys the tools needed to compete... Yes a dorm next to Apogee is nice, but plenty of guys live off campus, a weight room just for football and an IPF are common things in HS now but we are a D1 program that doesn't have either (we just need them to get back on Par)... Apogee yes is nice but the players don't sit in the stands at a stadium, they are on the field and the last time i checked LAT, UTSA, UNT fields are all the same.. 

UTSA has crap facilities.

• Lovely Take 1

8 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Dome stadium > Outdoor Stadium... 

While I hate posting anything UTSA, this is a pretty sweet gameday experience at the beginning. 

Edited by GMG24

LOL at the folks on this board. Trying to squeeze out any and all excuses like a 80 year old constipated man sittin on the toilet. 

They are getting recruits because....They hired a recruiter. 

We are not getting recruits because...We are hired an "X and O" guy. 

Recruiters recruit. Point blank. Bottom line. There is nothing to say about it and no way to sugar coat it.  

But the earlier "He wasn't system enough" quote is gold. 

• Downvote 4

I've been a long time lurker and just feel the need to chime in here. I've followed North Texas from afar since they gave UT and Eric Metcalf all they could handle and beat Texas Tech that same year. My good friend played CB for the MG in the late 80s, and I've wished the team nothing but the best since.

With that said, there is a small contingent of the MG fans that get under my skin and may explain some of the differences in recruiting between UTSA and North Texas. It's not as simple as Frank Wilson is a great recruiter, because he's winning with Larry Coker players, who I argue was a better recruiter and evaluator of talent. UTSA has 2 playerss on active  NFL rosters , 2 guys on practice squads, at least 2 more who will get drafted and a few more who will wind up on practice squads over the next couple of years. All Larry Coker guys, who btw make up about 90% of the two-deep roster.  So if Larry Coker recruited just or nearly as well, with way less to offer than Frank Wilson, there has to be something else. Hence, my theory below.

First, understand that San Antonio considers itself a new and growing city. Not to say Denton is not, as there are some new housing and shopping areas in Denton that are beautiful. However, lets put Denton aside simply to understand the "enemy", San Antonio. San Antonio is a majority minority city, but not in the stereotypical sense. For example, the Castro twins, for those who follow politics know they are political heavyweights and are San Antonio natives, but don't speak a lick of Spanish. That's very typical of the Hispanics in town except for the large contingent of wealthy Mexican nationals who consider San Antonio a second home.  This is important to understand, because though Hispanics in San Antonio enjoy the culture and food from their countries of descent (btw, I'm Puerto Rican), the American dream is what we want most.

One thing you need to understand about minorities, is that many of us feel rejected by the broader culture, which may explain San Antonio's "chip".  We believe we do things extremely well in this city.  Our city has a AAA bond rating (one of like 5 cities), we celebrate sports championships with class (no burning of cars or violence relative to others) , we serve our country and support our troops(military USA and the existence of USAA), and we're investing millions in our main public university, UTSA, to educate and graduate more of our minority students. I'm not a graduate of UTSA (SWT & KState), but as a resident of San Antonio can see all the great things they're doing educationally, #1 cyber security program (remember, military USA), partnership with UT-Health Sciences Center, etc...

This does not mean UNT doesn't have great programs, because I'm fully aware they do, as I wanted my daughter to go there at one time for their fashion and merchandising school, which is the best in the state and one of the best in the country.  UNT offers a lot more than just that, but I digress because I'm trying to provide some insight as to why UTSA has been winning recruiting battles even when Coker was coach.  UTSA's football program was started by a Hispanic school president and woman AD, who convinced Larry Coker of The University of Miami (experienced recruiting minority kids) to be the first coach, and then followed up with Frank Wilson.  The city has invested $60 million in renovations to the Alamo Dome the past few months for the Runners and to prepare for the Final Four in '18.  The city also granted the runners $10million to help fund a new practice facility. Not to mention literally over $2 trillion has been invested where UTSA is located.

The story we're conveying to  recruits is that San Antonio is rapidly growing in a fiscally responsible way, and that we're a close knit community who will help each other to combat the prejudice and discrimination many of these players will face. Though the prejudice may be debatable,  UNT fans calling people from San Antonio "dirty", or radio talk show host referring to us as "beaners",  is enough anecdotal evidence for recruits to view San Antonio as the future and UNT embracing beliefs of the past. This is not an indictment of the entire UNT family, but a small but noticeable few.

Lastly, I watched the game vs Iowa and you looked pretty good in my eyes. Good Luck the rest of the way.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, 2centsworth said:

The story we're conveying to  recruits is that San Antonio is rapidly growing in a fiscally responsible way, and that we're a close knit community who will help each other to combat the prejudice and discrimination many of these players will face. Though the prejudice may be debatable,  UNT fans calling people from San Antonio "dirty", or radio talk show host referring to us as "beaners",  is enough anecdotal evidence for recruits to view San Antonio as the future and UNT embracing beliefs of the past. This is not an indictment of the entire UNT family, but a small but noticeable few.

What UNT fans have called people from San Antonio "dirty" and what radio talk show host referred to the people as "beaners?"

FYI, North Texas was one of the first major universities to integrate and has long had an extemely diverse student body.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Lovely Take 1

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

What UNT fans have called people from San Antonio "dirty" and what radio talk show host referred to the people as "beaners?"

FYI, North Texas was one of the first major universities to integrate and has long had an extemely diverse student body.

I believe @2centsworthis referring to former Ranger Mike Bacsik, who has no real affiliation to North Texas. 

http://www.espn.com/dallas/mlb/news/story?id=5141002

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I believe @2centsworthis referring to former Ranger Mike Bacsik, who has no real affiliation to North Texas. 

http://www.espn.com/dallas/mlb/news/story?id=5141002

Oops.  Forgot about that.  Maybe they also equate us to Mark Cuban, who could learn to shut up from time to time.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-mavericks/mavericksheadlines/2014/02/18/mark-cuban-rips-san-antonio-s-river-walk-again-and-explains-his-smack-talk-with-kings-new-owner