The "Say what?" Thread

DeepGreen

Southern Miss had the same slogan for years, too.

You schedule teams that people want to see in OOC.  SMU, UH, Indiana, and Army are fine examples of this. Liberty, Idaho, and FCS spares are not. If you actually believe that you shouldn't host somebody at your place out of fear you'll get killed, you might as well just go down to FCS and just be content to play FBS games as your money grab. If we cannot beat Texas Tech, Memphis, or Houston in the coming years at Apogee, so be it. The funds you make off of those games and the media coverage you get is gigantic compared to FCS spares and Idaho or Liberty.

This thread is example one of just how low the expectations are around here. If you prefer to see us play a spare at home because its winnable, you've basically told everybody that you don't believe we can ever be anything close to what USM or La Tech have achieved in the last few decades. Sadly, you're probably right with attitudes like this. All I know is that I've seen Troy beat Mizzou and Okie Lite at home. I've seen UTSA compete well with Arizona and Arizona State at home. I've seen us compete well with Kansas State at home in the past. What I have yet to see in the last 15 years is us come close to beating a Power team on the road. And I don't see this happening in the coming years ahead, either.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

We can debate about how UNT stacks up against any Top 25 team, but teams in the top 25 have a lot more talent that we do. That was very apparent when we played UF last year, heck even when we played WKU (who wasn't in the Top 25) they destroyed us.

Let us beat schools like Rice, UTSA, UTEP regularly then we can talk about playing P5s at home. 

I don't know Colorado was in the top 10 last year, and I think the Pac12 championship vs Washington

Agreed, but their record over the last 15-20 years would indicate they are a team we should be able to compete against.

Brings up a good point though.  You schedule these games so far in advance that a middling P5 when you schedule them could be a Top 10 P5 by the time the game rolls around (see Iowa two years age).

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

We beat Indiana at home to a decent crowd

Yes, yes, we did...and Indiana is a team, like Vanderbilt, that I could see us playing at Apogee to decent crowds WITH a chance of winning as well.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, greenminer said:

Teams I'd love to see at Apogee, among others:

WVU
Directional-Michigans
TCU
SDSU
Kansas
Mizzu
Arizona/AZState
BYU

Southern Illinois

Southern Illinois?  Why?  If we're going to bring in FCS teams, I'd just as soon bring in Texas FCS teams.

Otherwise, the list looks pretty good.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Southern Illinois?  Why?  If we're going to bring in FCS teams, I'd just as soon bring in Texas FCS teams.

Otherwise, the list looks pretty good.

Oregon state, K state, Colorado state, 

It was a home/home deal signed when Golden was coaching Miami so it looked a lot better for us (winning wise) when the deal was signed. Miami went home/home with App State.

We've got a home/home coming up with Iowa State and hosted Mizzou in 2015 as part of a home/home.

Plus have the usual suspects, Tulsa, SMU, UNLV, Memphis home and home.

On July 12, 2017 at 9:22 AM, SilverEagle said:

We haven't had that mentality around here since Corkey Nelson.

Matt Simon had that mentality. The "Safeway parking" comment lives on. We played home games against Kansas, Texas A&M, and Army at Tx Stadium. We had Oregon State and Vanderbilt at Fouts etc.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

Matt Simon had that mentality. The "Safeway parking" comment lives on. We played home games against Kansas, Texas A&M, and Army at Tx Stadium. We had Oregon State and Vanderbilt at Fouts etc.

That was mainly about SMU. But I have to say that I don't remember anyone accusing him of "calling it in" when we played big time programs like DD did.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, greenminer said:

@Mean Green 93-98  2 reasons:

1) I know an alumn
2) I want to say we are playing the Salukis

...I don't expect most people here to relate.  It was just meant as a personal list.

AState plays SIU I think next season. When we were I-AA that was our second most played series. Even though it was quite lopsided in AState's favor we played home and home nearly every year. Just under 200 mile drive.

Edited by Arkstfan
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

That was mainly about SMU. But I have to say that I don't remember anyone accusing him of "calling it in" when we played big time programs like DD did.

Matt Simon had the fire for the job, but the job HERE just drove him insane--literally, the dude went crazy. When he got fired, he accused everybody in town of being racist and against him from day one, when it was fairly obvious that wasn't even close to true. What he wanted, he couldn't have, which was a school that wanted to invest in resources and facilities. He never even complained once about the schedules that we gave him to play, which in 1995 was the toughest single year our program has ever scheduled in football. We played 3 homes games at Fouts, with 2 of them being I-aa schools and the other was Oregon State, who we beat on a last second TD. We played and lost to KU at Texas Stadium, which with true UNT luck, happened to just be one of the three times in about the last 30 years that KU finished with a top 10 team. The other games played on the road: @ Mizzou, @ Oklahoma, @Nevada, @ Alabama, @LSU, @ UNLV, and @ Louisville. That we fininshed 2-9 was damn near miraculous. His next team, in its first year in the Big West, went 5-6, and then in 1997, we won at Texas Tech and gave a top ten ranked A&M squad a game for about 3 quarters. Simon looked ready to take our team to the next level, but then we got into Big West play and the team just had a severe letdown after playing the Texas Big 12 schools and basically crashed down to earth against the BW schools. We finished 4-7 and he got fired by Helwig, who immediately hired his old KSU buddy's son, the current OC at SMU, Darrell Dickey. And that was it for Matt Simon, a guy who had so much potential, but let his conspiracies and his anger get the best of him. He really could have done great things here with the right mindset, our current leadership and facilities of the day, and our current conference affiliation.

On 7/12/2017 at 9:16 AM, DeepGreen said:

I like Louisiana Tech's mentality, "anyone, anytime, anywhere".  It's worked for them.

We can eventually get there, but again LT has a history of putting up great offenses (believe they were top 10 last year)... We can't even crack the top 100 :(