The "Say what?" Thread

DeepGreen

Glad they aren't playing at Apogee.  I have no interest in seeing UNT get clobbered by some nationally ranked team at home.  Must win at home.  But, for those of you who do want to see such, hang in there...some ranked Power 5 team will eventually show up. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 9

OK...so folks disagree with me here...no problem, but could someone explain the attraction of getting clobbered at home by some nationally ranked P5 team? And, please, no "we will sell Apogee out" because that dog doesn't hunt any longer.  After our massive crowd at the 1st HOD Bowl, we see ZERO attendance increase. So, getting clobbered at home and having Apogee filled with opposing team fans who will never come back is a good thing how?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 7

2 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

OK...so folks disagree with me here...no problem, but could someone explain the attraction of getting clobbered at home by some nationally ranked P5 team? And, please, no "we will sell Apogee out" because that dog doesn't hunt any longer.  After our massive crowd at the 1st HOD Bowl, we see ZERO attendance increase. So, getting clobbered at home and having Apogee filled with opposing team fans who will never come back is a good thing how?

I wouldn't assume we would get clobbered. It would also help give us the best chance of beating a top 25 team as opposed to simply losing Every. Single. Time.  I would like to help our odds for once.  Plus, it is nice seeing that kind of opponent in our house. 

• Upvote 6

12 minutes ago, Travis said:

I wouldn't assume we would get clobbered. It would also help give us the best chance of beating a top 25 team as opposed to simply losing Every. Single. Time.  I would like to help our odds for once.  Plus, it is nice seeing that kind of opponent in our house. 

I get what you are saying but @KRAM1 is right that losing to them is worse at home because of one thing. We don't host recruits at opposing stadiums.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

26 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

I'd rather take a bigger pay day from UF or Iowa for them to play us at there house, take a smaller check and we play 1 there and then one here. Get games at home that you can control like lamar. Its not a sexy match up, but it should be a W.. the more wins the better even if you have to play a non sexy match up. Make it a regular thing to win at home and maybe that brings out a few more people, and those wins get us to a bowl game.. after a few season of bowls and some winning records with improved facilities, then we will be picking up steam.

I'm not poo-pooing the whole playing p5s, I would just rather not get massacred at home by someone and it drive fans away like the Portland State game did, which yes its a P5 but its still a big L... the only reason why Tenneesee didn't blow us out a few years ago was because there HC knew Chico... 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, KRAM1 said:

Teams have a higher winning % at home. Maybe, just maybe, if we get on to agree to get one into Apogee we are hopefully good with a lively and obnoxious student section. 

And I think a lot more green would be in Apogee vs a good opponent when/if we're in an up year. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, meanrob said:

There isn't a bigger indictment of our program than we shouldn't play a very good team at home. Which is confusing because a few of you who think this were huge supporters of the person running the program and got us into this situation. 

You don't get to pick when you're going to be good. If a great team will come here then do it and let the chips fall where they may. 

I agree.... It seems like our most 'faithful' have no faith in our team if we are so afraid to bring a big name opponent to our house.  It would be lovely to change this way of thinking.

I might be forgetting somebody, but the last 2 P5's I remember coming to UNT were Indiana (1st year at Apogee) and K-State (last year at Fouts).  Both of those were highly entertaining, highly competitive games.  I wouldn't mind one of those every year.  And as Ben Gooding mentioned, your chances of beating your P5 opponent increase significantly when they come to your place.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I might be forgetting somebody, but the last 2 P5's I remember coming to UNT were Indiana (1st year at Apogee) and K-State (last year at Fouts).  Both of those were highly entertaining, highly competitive games.  I wouldn't mind one of those every year.  And as Ben Gooding mentioned, your chances of beating your P5 opponent increase significantly when they come to your place.

This OL and QB are not ready for us to play someone like Miami (Top 25) program like ArkStat is going to be playing. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

This OL and QB are not ready for us to play someone like Miami (Top 25) program like ArkStat is going to be playing. 

Preseason top 25 is virtually meaningless.  They may be top 10 at the end of the year; they may not be top 40.  Regardless, upsets happen.  And regardless of whether we upset them or not, having name opponents at home attracts fans.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

I agree.  I don't have much interest in playing a bodybag game at home.  Having said that, I long for the day that we become like Boise St. and we no longer have bodybag games because we can compete with anyone.

For now, I'd like to see up play winnable P5 games at home, such as Indiana, Pitt, Syracuse, Purdue, Iowa St., Oregon St., Kansas, Illinois, Colorado, etc., etc.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Preseason top 25 is virtually meaningless.  They may be top 10 at the end of the year; they may not be top 40.  Regardless, upsets happen.  And regardless of whether we upset them or not, having name opponents at home attracts fans.

We can debate about how UNT stacks up against any Top 25 team, but teams in the top 25 have a lot more talent that we do. That was very apparent when we played UF last year, heck even when we played WKU (who wasn't in the Top 25) they destroyed us.

Let us beat schools like Rice, UTSA, UTEP regularly then we can talk about playing P5s at home. 

1 hour ago, NT93 said:

I agree.  I don't have much interest in playing a bodybag game at home.  Having said that, I long for the day that we become like Boise St. and we no longer have bodybag games because we can compete with anyone.

For now, I'd like to see up play winnable P5 games at home, such as Indiana, Pitt, Syracuse, Purdue, Iowa St., Oregon St., Kansas, Illinois, Colorado, etc., etc.

I don't know Colorado was in the top 10 last year, and I think the Pac12 championship vs Washington. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

We can debate about how UNT stacks up against any Top 25 team, but teams in the top 25 have a lot more talent that we do. That was very apparent when we played UF last year, heck even when we played WKU (who wasn't in the Top 25) they destroyed us.

Both away games.  I'm not sure why you're making this into a "UNT talent" vs. "Top 25" talent discussion, anyway.  I want P5s at home, and I would prefer they not be top 25 teams.  But I would rather have a top 25 team at home than [insert the name of pretty much any recent home OOC opponent].

Just now, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Both away games.  I'm not sure why you're making this into a "UNT talent" vs. "Top 25" talent discussion, anyway.  I want P5s at home, and I would prefer they not be top 25 teams.  But I would rather have a top 25 team at home than [insert the name of pretty much any recent home OOC opponent].

This thread was about ArkState playing Miami at home... The point I'm making is that if we were to bring in a ranked team like ArkState is, we likely would get destroyed. The strike that I have against bringing in a smaller name P5 is that we aren't having success in terms of getting to 6+ wins, so playing home games those are games we have to win. Either 4 or 5 out of the 5 or 6 we get for us to have a chance at getting to a bowl.

Yes us playing Lamar isn't a sexy game to open the year, but if gets us a W and we get to 6 Ws and a bowl we will be happy, compared us playing someone like Kansas and losing resulting in us only getting to 5 wins and not getting into a bowl, or us praying that we can get in on APR again. 

Get a regional school that has some name appeal and bring that in, but have down the road. Like NT93 said a school like Kansas would be appealing. Its not a juggernaut of a program, they are a regional school with them playing in the B12 and recruiting in Tx but bringing in someone like Miami like ArkState is will appeal to some people but will drive others away from coming that week. 

We both agree that we prefer not to play Top 25 teams, but the difference that we have is about playing a team like Kansas or Lamar. Right now, its better for UNT to play Lamar. Yes, playing someone like Kansas could be a W, but UNT right now doesn't need 50/50 games, they need games that are leaning in our favor. Play schools like Lamar get the W, and then after us doing that for say 3/4/5 years and getting to a winning record/bowl games will lead to more fans, more fans and more bowls leads to more revenue and better recruits. More revenue and better recruits then means we can play schools like Kansas, then once that happens you are ready to start playing with the bigger boys.  Again, we can think Kansas or whoever would be a nice match up but have it down the road (which would likely be the cause) but have it 4 or 5 years. Right now we need easy wins to get people to change how they think of UNT. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This is a simple issue to solve...Don't schedule perennial top25 teams for home games...ever. Miami doesn't really fall into that category currently, but that isn't really due to the lack of talent. 

Instead, schedule teams that are in theory beatable. It doesn't have to be lowly Indiana either like done in the past. Texas Tech is a perfect opponent IMO. They are beatable most years by good G5 programs. We just have to make sure we're good when they come to town in 2047. 

• Upvote 1

Question, what is our record against teams with a winning record when we play them at Apogee? Then what is our record against teams with a losing record.

That would give an idea of our chances of beating a quality team at Apogee. Please no guessing or I think, just the facts.

15 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

OR, it could be worse than that. We could get clobbered by Miami and they DON'T bring any fans. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't perceive Miami as a school that travels a lot of fans. After all, they are a private school about the size of Rice.

13 hours ago, meanrob said:

There isn't a bigger indictment of our program than we shouldn't play a very good team at home. Which is confusing because a few of you who think this were huge supporters of the person running the program and got us into this situation. 

You don't get to pick when you're going to be good. If a great team will come here then do it and let the chips fall where they may. 

I agree with you in theory. But I would feel better about it if I knew that we had a coach with a "I didn't come here to lose" mentality. Having said that I believe we can get just as many fans by bringing in the service academys and the Texas State's of the world and then PROMOTE, PROMOTE, PROMOTE.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1