Loryn Goodwin

KRAM1

Loryn Goodwin....former UNT...former Butler....former UTSA player has now signed to play at Oklahoma State.  This has to be one of the most "traveled" women's basketball players I have ever seen.  One must wonder why it is that she is now set to play for her fourth university. I know some here blamed our then head basketball coach for her leaving. If it is coaching, this player has certainly found a lot of "challenging" coaches.  I simply have a hard time understanding all these transfers. Here's hoping she finds her place at OSU...heaven knows OSU needs some players on their women's side.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 7

7 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Loryn Goodwin....former UNT...former Butler....former UTSA player has now signed to play at Oklahoma State.  This has to be one of the most "traveled" women's basketball players I have ever seen.  One must wonder why it is that she is now set to play for her forth university. I know some here blamed our then head basketball coach for her leaving. If it is coaching, this player has certainly found a lot of "challenging" coaches.  I simply have a hard time understanding all these transfers. Here's hoping she finds her place at OSU...heaven knows OSU needs some players on their women's side.

I'm wondering how this is possible with only red shirt year. Did she play for every team?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Again, I guess she is graduating.    I really hate this rule when it allows larger programs to cherry pick stars from lesser conferences.   It has to be a major consideration when deciding to redshirt players or accepting transfers who are going to graduate before their eligibility is up.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, greenjoe said:

According to her UTSA bio, she played at NT, transferred to Butler and played, sat a year before transferring to UTSA.  I don't see that she played at UTSA.  Transferring to OSU.  That will be 4 playing years, this season included.  She must travel lightly.

She played against UNT this past season. Box Score.

5 hours ago, greenjoe said:

According to her UTSA bio, she played at NT, transferred to Butler and played, sat a year before transferring to UTSA.  I don't see that she played at UTSA.  Transferring to OSU.  That will be 4 playing years, this season included.  She must travel lightly.

Not only played was first team all conference.  

• Upvote 1

I didn't realize she played at UTSA.  So did she graduate ?  NT (1), Butler (2), sat (3), UTSA (4), OKLA State (5).  Unless she graduated fro UTSA, and her OSU bio says she's a senior,  doesn't she have to sit another year before transferring ?  And therefore out of time ?

21 hours ago, Quoner said:

Wait - why are we crapping on her at this point? Would things have totally worked out for Peterson if this hadn't gone down this way?

Don't see this as "crapping on her" at all and no one here blamed her for transferring out of UNT. The discussion rests on why is it that someone feels the need to transfer four times in a four year eligibility time frame.  Just seems a tad odd.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 7

16 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Don't see this as "crapping on her" at all and no one here blamed her for transferring out of UNT. The discussion rests on why is it that someone feels the need to transfer four times in a four year eligibility time frame.  Just seems a tad odd.

I know...if only UNT was able to give her just one paycheck, we could all continue cheering her on and wishing her the best in life instead of doing the "I'm just sayin'" hokey pokey you've perfected to tow the whispered but never fully spoken on the record company lines on certain athletes. No matter how it ended here or anywhere, anyone who ever suited up for this school deserves better. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

So you're saying there is or is not a "sit a year" rule when transferring in basketball ?  If so, why did she have to sit one season between Butler and UTSA ? 

I have not dog in this fight.  She's no longer part of the mean Green family.  I just want to understand.

On 7/13/2017 at 4:13 PM, Graddean said:

How was she able to play at Butler without having to sit a year?

She had to sit.

2012-13 - UNT

2013-14 - Butler - sat

2014-15 - Butler - played

2015-16 - UTSA - sat

2016-17 - UTSA - played

2017-18 - Okie State - grad transfer

My question would be, How was she able to be granted a 6th year of eligibility?

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1

On 7/14/2017 at 3:25 PM, greenjoe said:

So you're saying there is or is not a "sit a year" rule when transferring in basketball ?  If so, why did she have to sit one season between Butler and UTSA ? 

I have not dog in this fight.  She's no longer part of the mean Green family.  I just want to understand.

The concept of FCS/FBS does not exist in basketball. D1 is D1, no break, no way out of sitting for a year.

I was and am clear on the "1-A / 1-AA" thing.  Oklahoma State lists her on their roster as a senior.  Not a "grad transfer."  I don't see how it's possible for her to play a 6th season for a 4th team.  I don't much care.  I just don't understand.  

Edited by greenjoe

• 2 months later...

FYI - she got a year granted back by the NCAA after Butler due to some of the treatment she received. Also, she always had a dream to play in the Big 12. When Karen Aston left, it broke her heart to not be taken with her to UT. She has worked hard to get to her goal and we applaud her tenacity - she has withstood 3 conferences and come out with honors at each one of them no matter how bad the situation may have been (or good for  that matter). She has truly followed her dream and set goals that she has achieved. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 1