UTSA "Rivalry"

ABrownGMG

3 hours ago, CMJ said:

I feel like MTSU is more of a rival than UTSA.  Perhaps one day that will change, but I don't really have any sort of "rivalry" feeling toward the Roadrunners.

Absolutely.   I would figure anyone around during the Dickey years would agree.
But I think many people here want to have UTSA as a rival because they like San Antonio as a destination, and have been goaded by a handful of morons who represent the school coming on here and driveling to stir up "hatred".

• Upvote 2

Yes...in spite of our record against them, they're not someone we should aim for a rivalry with.  As others said they should be organic anyway (SMU is starting to take on that feel) but I like the La Tech argument.  Let's aim higher than UTSA.  

• Upvote 2

On 7/2/2017 at 11:49 PM, ABrownGMG said:

I understand that's how they come about in a fan sense. But the department can capitalize on it via marketing of the game. That's what I feel like has yet to be done.

I think the dept has decided (rightly) to focus on getting folks to _a_ game and not necessarily _this_ game. They did try to hype the Halloween version of this matchup last year and the turnout was relatively good, but not actually great. But from my conversations with the staff, they say they dislike UTSA and want to beat them badly. That's good enough for me for right now. I don't know what else needs to be done. The students/fans can drive the other stuff. I don't need i-35 Rivalry branded cups to get me hyped. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/1/2017 at 10:36 AM, Harry said:

UTSA beat us at home in our first game against each other and robbed us of a C-USA championship game.  We compete against them for recruits and they are in our state.  That puts them in the rivalry category for me.

I will grant you that we just do not have many rivals.  Keep in mind recent history.  We were I-AA in the Southland and I would say our biggest rival from that period was UTA who dropped football.  Fast forward to now and we obviously don't want to point to any of those schools as rivals as we don't ever play them and are now FBS.  After that we were independent for a year = 0 rivals.  In the Belt we were the only school in the conference in Texas = 0 rivals.  Sorry but our average alum has no emotion toward MUTS, ULM or Ark State.  Now we are in a conference where rivalries SHOULD develop but after a promising start in 2013 we spit the bit and lost a lot of ball games.  It's just very difficult to develop rivalries when you aren't winning games.

SMU will always be a natural rival for us but keep in mind that has always been a one-sided rivalry as SMU feels we are beneath being considered a rival to them.  Their rival in their mind is TCU.

so the truth is we really don't have a rival although we finally are in a conference where IF we get our act together CONSISTENTLY we should be able to develop them.  We desperately need rivals as they help build interest in the program.  

I do agree that it doesn't seem to feel that we have a rival. SMU doesn't like to say we are rival, and we do the same to UTSA. Honestly, we have a few schools that could be made into a rival. 

SMU, UTSA, and TXST. People won't like that, but those are local and regional schools we recruit against and schools that would have no problem fitting us into a home/away series. People will not like it because its not a big name program, but adding in TXST as an out of conference game would be a nice addtion. Its a game that isn't costly and its something that would likely bring fans from either side. Heck, UNT even bused students down to UTSA for the game this year (even though they did it last minute).

I think UTSA could be a good rivaly game, but so could LAT. The question is, can UNT get to the level of play that LAT is at and is UNT able to keep on par in terms of being in a conference with them. UTSA and UNT are both building to something, but we don't like UTSA because they came into C-USA while we had to work our way there even if it was after multiple losing years. 

I would rather play someone like TXST over Liberty, or Lamar any day... but if we got a nice paycheck from either then I would consider it. 

On 7/3/2017 at 9:43 AM, CMJ said:

I feel like MTSU is more of a rival than UTSA.  Perhaps one day that will change, but I don't really have any sort of "rivalry" feeling toward the Roadrunners.

I feel the same. MTSU brings fans to our games, and was a rival from the S-Belt that always played us hard. 

On 7/1/2017 at 10:25 AM, Ben Gooding said:

Rivalries must be organic. It can't be forced. That is why. 

I was about to post the exact same thing.  Rivalries cannot be "manufactured" and generally need to develop over time.  The more some try to push the rivalry angle (some were trying to make it a rivaly before we even played each other!) the more it will be rejected.   Let it develop naturally.

• Upvote 1

I feel our closest rivalry is probably SMU....but for it to blossom into a true rivalry we need to give them a beat down several years in a row not just once in a decade. 

I live off Interstate 30 and on the weekend we play MTSU in Denton its amazing the number of vehicles with the above mention school sticker on there back wind shield...may have something there for rivalry.

UTsa has a way to go before its considered a rivalry..IMHO.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...