DRC: UNT parts ways with cross country coach

Brett Vito

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/mean-green/2017/07/14/unt-gives-1-year-extensions-track-coach-sheffield-softball-coach-kee

I guess we got the answer concerning Kee. A bit surprised. I mean I guess there was minor progress this season, but it wasn't exactly impressive as it was the third losing season in a row.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

One year contracts for both Coach Kee and Coach Sheffield.  Can you spell hot seat?  Interesting, as in past decades the Olympic Sport coaches were pretty much left alone.  Guess this is another example of Wren Baker and Neil Smatresk meaning what they say...that our Athletic Dept. is going to get better from top to bottom in all sports UNT fields.  For one, I hope both these coaches have great seasons and get to sign new and longer contracts at the end of their respective seasons.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

One year contracts for both Coach Kee and Coach Sheffield.  Can you spell hot seat?  Interesting, as in past decades the Olympic Sport coaches were pretty much left alone.  Guess this is another example of Wren Baker and Neil Smatresk meaning what they say...that our Athletic Dept. is going to get better from top to bottom in all sports UNT fields.  For one, I hope both these coaches have great seasons and get to sign new and longer contracts at the end of their respective seasons.

pretty standard at most schools for Olympic Sport coaches to be on 1 yr contracts reviewed annual, softball and soccer could be different due to larger scale, but most minor sports coaches sign on yearly basis.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, untbowler said:

pretty standard at most schools for Olympic Sport coaches to be on 1 yr contracts reviewed annual, softball and soccer could be different due to larger scale, but most minor sports coaches sign on yearly basis.

Did not realize that.  Did know Kee had a longer contract as does Hedlund. Did not know Sheffield regularly had a one year contract. Thanks. You know the length of Coach Lama's contract in tennis?

15 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Did not realize that.  Did know Kee had a longer contract as does Hedlund. Did not know Sheffield regularly had a one year contract. Thanks. You know the length of Coach Lama's contract in tennis?

I don't having been around the College Tennis community for 20+ yrs, most of the coaches are on a year to year basis, especially at your non-P5 schools. Now P5's will have contracts in place, but most are not made public unless there is a FOIA, since they are not as exciting as FB, BB, etc...