DRC: Lake Ridge QB Jason Bean commits to UNT

Brett Vito

Christ, all I did was ask if he had any other FBS offers? Why in the hell would that earn so much GMG wrath? 

It's a legitimate question, you wrinkly old ass hats.  :D

And I finally got off my lazy ass and checked out his recruiting profile. He's had a few offers, which is a good sign, IMO. I could care less if he had FBS offers pulled. The fact he was offered is good enough for me. I just don't want to see this program turn into walk on central like it did at the end of Mac's tenure...

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

1 hour ago, Got5onIt said:

Christ, all I did was ask if he had any other FBS offers? Why in the hell would that earn so much GMG wrath? 

It's a legitimate question, you wrinkly old ass hats.  :D

And I finally got off my lazy ass and checked out his recruiting profile. He's had a few offers, which is a good sign, IMO. I could care less if he had FBS offers pulled. The fact he was offered is good enough for me. I just don't want to see this program turn into walk on central like it did at the end of Mac's tenure...

OK to ask. He is listed among the top 30 senior QB's in the state, by Dave Campbell.

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, NT96 said:

Ranking has been lowered down to 2 Stars by 247.

It should be noted that UTSA's QB commit last year (Bryce Rivers) was rated as a 0.7971 3 star recruit. Bean is rated as a 0.7958 2 star recruit. This is why I don't like saying we have X 3 star recruits. 1) Recruits take a rating hit just for committing to us & 2) 0.0013 is the difference between being considered a 2 and a 3 star commit.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, AustinFromUNT said:

It should be noted that UTSA's QB commit last year (Bryce Rivers) was rated as a 0.7971 3 star recruit. Bean is rated as a 0.7958 2 star recruit. This is why I don't like saying we have X 3 star recruits. 1) Recruits take a rating hit just for committing to us & 2) 0.0013 is the difference between being considered a 2 and a 3 star commit.

You mean "one of UTSA's QB commits."  Frank Harris was a 0.8307 3-star recruit with offers from Baylor, Georgia Tech, et al.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

You mean "one of UTSA's QB commits."  Frank Harris was a 0.8307 3-star recruit with offers from Baylor, Georgia Tech, et al.

FWIW, Frank Harris was recruited as an ATH, but it is certainly possible that he may be given a shot to play QB.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TreeFiddy said:

FWIW, Frank Harris was recruited as an ATH, but it is certainly possible that he may be given a shot to play QB.

24/7 listed him as an athlete, but everything I read from Harris and UTSA coaches indicates that he was recruited as a QB and was told he would have the opportunity to start early as a QB.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, unt_rocket09 said:

Players get stars based on other offers. If a kid can play he can play 

Preach. 

18 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

24/7 listed him as an athlete, but everything I read from Harris and UTSA coaches indicates that he was recruited as a QB and was told he would have the opportunity to start early as a QB.

I believe us UTSA and a few smaller schools were QB offers rest as WR/DB and that's bull crap they lowered his rating. 

Ive tweeted Brian Peronni to ask how a rating drops after a kids page is updated with offers.  We shall see what he says. 

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 4

I believe it's because stars are relative and points aren't. IOW, as time has gone on, you'll find that the criteria (points for each star level) is rising. So, as more kids below get more offers from bigger schools, their number rating goes up, so does their ranking, so does their star rating. So, if you were the #1, 5-star recruit with 32 big time offers in week one, and 65 dudes got 33 big time offers the next week, your number rating would stay the same, but your ranking and star rating would drop, because you got jumped and having 65 dudes ahead of you would drop you to a 4-star prospect. Hope that makes sense.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Yes he was offered as a QB to most G5s and Georgia Tech viewed him as a QB for the 3-option. Baylor offered as a WR. 

3 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Ive tweeted Brian Peronni to ask how a rating drops after a kids page is updated with offers.  We shall see what he says. 

Please let us know, we may also email him and ask or maybe even Vito has information on the rankings?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Yes he was offered as a QB to most G5s and Georgia Tech viewed him as a QB for the 3-option. Baylor offered as a WR. 

Please let us know, we may also email him and ask or maybe even Vito has information on the rankings?

Apparantely he's a 3 star per 247 but his composite score is lowered due to his rivals ranking. 

• Upvote 1

Borderline star players are known to get a boost or drop in stars pending their offers and/or commit, particularly by rivals. 247 is more accurate and consistent. Now 247 will dip or boost rankings during camping season, whereas rivals will base it a boost or drop off of a commit. 

Alabama, Ohio St, OU, etc. see this to their advantage year in and year out. It's never been known to be a perfect system, but the more rivals does this, the more credibility 247 garners. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Rivals originally had him as a three star but they are known for dropping rankings. 

Did they? I remember him being a 2 on Rivals when he committed.

Who else has Rivals dropped a ranking for that you're referencing?

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Did they? I remember him being a 2 on Rivals when he committed.

Who else has Rivals dropped a ranking for that you're referencing?

Don't recall off the top of my head, but I emailed them in the past and they as much as admitted to it.