DRC: Breaking -- Tyler Wilson has officially left UNT's program

Brett Vito

6 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

This is the kind of stuff that irks me. The countless number of high school phenom QB's that go major P5 program out of high school and then fizzle out in college because of depth. Murray, and maybe 100  others over just the last 4 or 5 years,  could have been a major contributor at UNT...A UNT HoF kind of player. There is 0 doubt in my mind that Kyler Murray would put this current offense and team in the CUSA championship game THIS year. Do not underestimate the significance of a playmaker at the QB position...It's a real game changer. 

Man I'm totally with you. I don't know why more kids don't come become a star at a place like UNT. Riley Dodge did try it in all fairness, dude just couldn't stay healthy. I believe if Morris would have came to UNT out of Allen he would have been damn good for 4 years 

11 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

A 2015 guess doesn't mean anything in 2017.  Especially after everyone has now seen that he can't hit college pitching.

He got crappy advice coming out of high school, and probably most of it from his dad.  

You take baseball money out of high school, if you can get it.  Then, if it turns out you can't hit A-ball pitchers after two or three years, you go back and play college football.  

You can't do it the other way around due to NCAA rules.  And, you're not getting a second chance at pro ball if you can't even hit college pitching.

Sh*t...sometimes even the kids with parents from decent suburban areas get misled.

UPDATE:  Murray cut from Cape Cod league squad mid-season on July 6th after hitting just .170. 
http://d15k3om16n459i.cloudfront.net/baseball/player.html?playerid=1143383&seasonid=30631
http://d15k3om16n459i.cloudfront.net/baseball/transactions.html?leagueid=166&seasonid=30631

So, he can't hit college pitching, or college summer all-star-type pitching, such as you find in these summer college-player leagues around the country.  Cape Cod is probably the top because MLB actually helps fund it.

Ship is sailing fast for Murray as far as baseball goes.  He's got steep competition at OU as well at QB. 

After Mayfield graduates, does Murray transfer again if he doesn't win the starting job there?  If so, do we give him a look?  He's one of those guy who lists at 5'11", so he's probably 5'9".

8 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

UPDATE:  Murray cut from Cape Cod league squad mid-season on July 6th after hitting just .170. 
http://d15k3om16n459i.cloudfront.net/baseball/player.html?playerid=1143383&seasonid=30631
http://d15k3om16n459i.cloudfront.net/baseball/transactions.html?leagueid=166&seasonid=30631

So, he can't hit college pitching, or college summer all-star-type pitching, such as you find in these summer college-player leagues around the country.  Cape Cod is probably the top because MLB actually helps fund it.

Ship is sailing fast for Murray as far as baseball goes.  He's got steep competition at OU as well at QB. 

After Mayfield graduates, does Murray transfer again if he doesn't win the starting job there?  If so, do we give him a look?  He's one of those guy who lists at 5'11", so he's probably 5'9".

That would be in a year or 2... The question is at this time next year, does Pearson have the job or is he challenging for it? Also, we will have Bean and Martin coming to campus in a year as well... 

19 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

That would be in a year or 2... The question is at this time next year, does Pearson have the job or is he challenging for it? Also, we will have Bean and Martin coming to campus in a year as well... 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Pearson, Bean, and Martin all competing for the job next year. Clearly the coaches see Fine as a bandaid.

I just hope they keep his leash as short as they kept Morris'

2 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Pearson, Bean, and Martin all competing for the job next year. Clearly the coaches see Fine as a bandaid.

I just hope they keep his leash as short as they kept Morris'

They need to rotate them but for some reason SL talked before the year about needing 2 QBs... But he never used them. There were times that Fine was his own worst enemy. Its not ideal, I get it but SL talked about the benefits of giving guys a break mentally or just to try and get someone out of a funk. 

To me, RS Pearson and don't let him step on the field at all. Evaluate and solve what you have in Quinn, Izzy, Cason, O'hara so that in the spring you know who to focus on. I get that isn't ideal but we need to find out who is a JAG (Just A Guy) and who is someone that possibly has something, and if we can actually find someone. 

Izzy hopefully can do something this year. I like his size in terms build and height (major assets compared to fine), his film shows he has a strong arm and can zip it as well. The question is was, it legit the interest that he was getting before the knee injury or was it just a solid showing for a few games. I get that Quinn has had a solid showing and has been here for a long time, but if we get up big vs Lamar, I would like to see Izzy. His tape was awesome and he just seems to have the traits. 

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

They need to rotate them but for some reason SL talked before the year about needing 2 QBs... But he never used them. There were times that Fine was his own worst enemy. Its not ideal, I get it but SL talked about the benefits of giving guys a break mentally or just to try and get someone out of a funk. 

To me, RS Pearson and don't let him step on the field at all. Evaluate and solve what you have in Quinn, Izzy, Cason, O'hara so that in the spring you know who to focus on. I get that isn't ideal but we need to find out who is a JAG (Just A Guy) and who is someone that possibly has something, and if we can actually find someone. 

Izzy hopefully can do something this year. I like his size in terms build and height (major assets compared to fine), his film shows he has a strong arm and can zip it as well. The question is was, it legit the interest that he was getting before the knee injury or was it just a solid showing for a few games. I get that Quinn has had a solid showing and has been here for a long time, but if we get up big vs Lamar, I would like to see Izzy. His tape was awesome and he just seems to have the traits. 

You need 2 QBs for competition sake, but you don't yank QB in middle of game cuz he tries to make s play and Fs up, unless you're ready to make that permanent. See what happened with Fine and Morris.  If you have two QBs you got none.  

• Upvote 3

Just now, GMG24 said:

You need 2 QBs for competition sake, but you don't yank QB in middle of game cuz he tries to make s play and Fs up, unless you're ready to make that permanent. See what happened with Fine and Morris.  If you have two QBs you got none.  

I understand that and would assume that SL would be smart enough on when to do it as well... I'm just saying Fine had many games that he would play terrible for 10 out of 12 drives.. Plus the man said it himself. 

16 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I understand that and would assume that SL would be smart enough on when to do it as well... I'm just saying Fine had many games that he would play terrible for 10 out of 12 drives.. Plus the man said it himself. 

Fine but the bullet a lot, he's ahead of his age in wisdom.  He know she he take s the bullet even if his OL was bad, or wr ran wrong conversion, back didn't pick up blitz etc.  Think we will see a vast improvement this year.  You don't become the first ever two time Gatorade POY because you can't ball. 

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, greenminer said:

How is that clear? Honest question.

Because they're finally starting to recruit the guys they want for OL and receiver. They like Fine because he can scramble. I think they'd rather have a tall pocket passer that can make every throw. 

Fine is useful for who they have now. He looked good against a FCS team that hadn't practiced in a week. I don't think he'll look nearly as good against better competition and when we aren't running for 400+ yards in a game. 

I'd love to be proved wrong but it is what it is. 

• Downvote 1