DRC: Breaking -- Tyler Wilson has officially left UNT's program

Brett Vito

3 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

Sure would be nice if Brett would include the players classification for those of us that don't follow UNT athletics for a living. Red shirt freshman, junior, senior?

He was a true freshman last year. Would've been a true sophomore this year

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

Sure would be nice if Brett would include the players classification for those of us that don't follow UNT athletics for a living. Red shirt freshman, junior, senior?

Agree completely...in fact, I think they should create a website where athletes' classification could be posted.  Hell, while they're at it they should include stuff like their hometown, high school accomplishments and measurables like height and weight.  

Now THAT would be something

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Look...if Littrell and Harrell can get the right QB in here, WRs will be making 13 catches a game, not a season.  That's what spread offenses are supposed to do, anyway.  Hell, even Dodge had that angle down.   

Next man up is right, MBA,

We have to get production out of the slot to have the production at the wide receiver spots!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, All About UNT said:

Some of you may pretend like this doesn't hurt..... keep living in your little bubble.

If the spread is run correctly, 13 catches in one season should be easily replaced. 

But, that's, perhaps, easier said than done, because, because, because...(can anyone guess?)...

...recruiting!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

6 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

We have to get production out of the slot to have the production at the wide receiver spots!

Agree, 153%

Let's look at Tulsa in 2015 and 2016, Philip Montgomery's first two years there in his spread (only double digit catch receivers listed):

Leading receivers in 2015:
Keyarris Garrett (Sr.):  96 catches, 1588 yards, 8 TDs
Joshua Atkinson (Jr.): 76/1071/5
Connor Floyd (Sr.): 45/458/3
Justin Hobbs (True Fr.):  32/551/2
Keevan Lucas (Jr.):  26/409/5
D'Angelo Brewer (Jr.): 15/107/1

Leading receivers in 2016:
Kevan Lucas (Sr.):  81 catches, 1180 yards, 15 TDs
Joshua Atkinson (Sr.): 78/1058/8
Justin Hobbs: (True Soph.)50/685/4
Keenen Johnson (True Fr.) : 30/305/1

Like Tulsa in 2016, we will enter 2017 without our leading WR, Thaddeus Thompson.  Second leading receiver Tee Goree has transferred to SFA.  Turner Smiley, third leading receiver in 2016 returns.

Kenny Buyers, fourth leading is gone.  Fifth, Jeffrey Wilson, is back. 

Sixth, Willie Ivery...gone.  Seventh...Willie Robinson...gone.

Eighth, Tyler Wilson...gone.

Not sure how Wilson gone hurts inasmuch as he wasn't a leading receiver.  Depth wise, maybe.  There are still a shit ton of WRs on the roster - 18 of them.   

Among the 18 remaining, Rico Bussey, at minimum, should be able to haul in 13 catches in a season.  Injury free - and, with the offense running properly - there's no reason he shouldn't have 40 to 50 receptions in 2017.

Among the 18 remaining are also JUCOs Garrett Barton (45 catches at Kilgore last year), Jalen Guyton (45 catches at Trinity last year), and Quinetin Jackson (27 catches at College of DuPage last year).  Surely, one of those three can step up and deliver 30+ catches in 2017...

...again, if the offense is running properly, all three should have no problem getting 30+ in 2017.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Agree, 153%

Let's look at Tulsa in 2015 and 2016, Philip Montgomery's first two years there in his spread (only double digit catch receivers listed):

Leading receivers in 2015:
Keyarris Garrett (Sr.):  96 catches, 1588 yards, 8 TDs
Joshua Atkinson (Jr.): 76/1071/5
Connor Floyd (Sr.): 45/458/3
Justin Hobbs (True Fr.):  32/551/2
Keevan Lucas (Jr.):  26/409/5
D'Angelo Brewer (Jr.): 15/107/1

Leading receivers in 2016:
Kevan Lucas (Sr.):  81 catches, 1180 yards, 15 TDs
Joshua Atkinson (Sr.): 78/1058/8
Justin Hobbs: (True Soph.)50/685/4
Keenen Johnson (True Fr.) : 30/305/1

Like Tulsa in 2016, we will enter 2017 without our leading WR, Thaddeus Thompson.  Second leading receiver Tee Goree has transferred to SFA.  Turner Smiley, third leading receiver in 2016 returns.

Kenny Buyers, fourth leading is gone.  Fifth, Jeffrey Wilson, is back. 

Sixth, Willie Ivery...gone.  Seventh...Willie Robinson...gone.

Eighth, Tyler Wilson...gone.

Not sure how Wilson gone hurts inasmuch as he wasn't a leading receiver.  Depth wise, maybe.  There are still a shit ton of WRs on the roster - 18 of them.   

Among the 18 remaining, Rico Bussey, at minimum, should be able to haul in 13 catches in a season.  Injury free - and, with the offense running properly - there's no reason he shouldn't have 40 to 50 receptions in 2017.

Among the 18 remaining are also JUCOs Garrett Barton (45 catches at Kilgore last year), Jalen Guyton (45 catches at Trinity last year), and Quinetin Jackson (27 catches at College of DuPage last year).  Surely, one of those three can step up and deliver 30+ catches in 2017...

...again, if the offense is running properly, all three should have no problem getting 30+ in 2017.

More than the production I would look at the qb's size as a factor. I am afraid a 5'9" qb may be the reason we had so few attempts last year. I can't remember any quick slants, button hooks or quick outs to the slot. We have to establish the slot in the short to medium game. If Mason is the man, Maybe one way would put Smith (a bigger body) in that position?

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, TreeFiddy said:

Damn.  Was expecting him to contribute some this year.  Was he still a walk-on?

He was a scholarship player.

58 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

We will get production out of the slot. They have guys like Lawerence, Duhon, Darden and I'm sure that we have others. 

19 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

More than the production I would look at the qb's size as a factor. I am afraid a 5'9" qb may be the reason we had so few attempts last year. I can't remember any quick slants, button hooks or quick outs to the slot. We have to establish the slot in the short to medium game. If Mason is the man, Maybe one way would put Smith (a bigger body) in that position?

That's kind of the whole point between an A and a Y

While both typically operate from the slot, your A is typically the Wes Welker type, and the Y is more of a big bodied possession guy like Thaddeous Thompson was last year. 

2 hours ago, cdizzle86 said:

Please refresh my memory...why is he no longer on the team?

It was rumored earlier that he would be an academic casualty.  Many coaches, and I believe that Seth is included, do not want to air anything that might be considered detrimental to the person's character.  Personally, I don't feel that this situation casts any aspersions on his intelligence but is a misplacement of priorities.

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

Size might be an issue but I would also look at the 5 people in front of him as a reason to this as well.

• Upvote 1

I agree.  He was able to qualify out of high school and he was eligible through his freshman year.  What I am curious about is if he would be welcome back if he got his grades in order or if he is gone for good.  Sounds like the latter.

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

I agree.  He was able to qualify out of high school and he was eligible through his freshman year.  What I am curious about is if he would be welcome back if he got his grades in order or if he is gone for good.  Sounds like the latter.

I think that they would welcome him back. He was a solid player when he played.

Grades maybe an issue, but he has some personal things come up in the middle of the season (his dad passing).