DRC: Looking back at the top 10 games of the last decade

Brett Vito

I would have included the 42-10 victory over Tulsa in 2013, the 34-27 victory over Ball State in 2013 since it is our only victory EVER over a 10 win team, the 55-14 win at Southern Miss in 2013 since it is the first win there since 1977, and last year's win vs Marshall since they were coming off several good seasons and we had never beaten them.

Delete all games vs Western Kentucky.

• Upvote 1

I was at every one of the games on this list. My personal observations... Canales' win over WKU is too high, and possible not worthy of being ranked at all. I think the 2015 win over UTSA was more important. That win saved us from an 0-12 season. Also, I'd place the 2011 win over MTSU 4th on the list, ahead of the 2016 HOD rematch loss. Dunbar last college game against Middle Tennessee was one of the greatest running performances in the history FBS football, and only about 500 soaking wet people were there to see it. Sad.

1 hour ago, Caw Caw said:

I still rank Halloween vs Rice as a pure number one for me. That stand at the goal line is something i'll never forget and never witness anything like it.

I was at both the HOD bowl vs unlv and this one and I agree. That game was so fun! It was by far the best apmosphere I had experienced at a UNT game. The UNLV game was great but I felt like the Rice game was intense!

• Upvote 1

Rice. Halloween. Never seen such an electric atmosphere at Apogee. Probably won't again. THAT was college football. I was on the 50, first row, student section.

That game made me want to work for UNT. I wanted everyone to experience something like that.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 4

I'd add the Rice game from this past season... Even though Rice at the time were winless, and it may have seemed like an "easy" win, I believe this game is what proved a lot of analysts wrong based off their judgments of NT. Not only were we trailing 17-0 in the second quarter, we managed to not only take a lead and make memorable plays, but also secure our first conference win and first away game win in two years. It may not have been perfect, but for someone who was present at the game it really made me realize that this renewed team was different, and i liked what i saw. 

• Upvote 1

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the game where we murdered Nicholls State, 77-3....people on here posted like we finally had the QB and offense we were looking forward to. It didn't matter that Denton HS would have given us a better game. Dajon Williams was the next best thing ever.

Then we had to play actual FBS teams and we got McNulty'd for the next year...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the game where we murdered Nicholls State, 77-3....people on here posted like we finally had the QB and offense we were looking forward to. It didn't matter that Denton HS would have given us a better game. Dajon Williams was the next best thing ever.

Good ole Red Rocket. Appreciate his efforts, but I'm more of a fan of the QB's we're currently bringing in. Even if they're only 5'8" on a good day 

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Dajon never got his shot. Mac was too busy being upset that he had a kid.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

You're literally the only one that mentioned it here for no useful reason.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

You want to talk about a game that made everyone think we'd finally arrived?

Since Brett wants to include some Todd Dodge action, I'd put The '09 Ball State win on the road above the Tobe interception game. Ball State was coming off a 12-win season and it looked like Riley Dodge was going to take us the the promised land. Deloach had the D going again and our running game was looking mean. Then the Ohio double overtime monsoon game came and took the wind out of our sails. That Ohio game was a major setback that old Todge never could recover from.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 4:44 PM, letsgiveacheer said:

If we are speaking only of memorable games, Portland State will be hard to forget. 

Yep. It looked like one of those Dickey-era Texas give-up games......only it wasn't Texas.

And I also agree with those who think the Ball St. game should be part of the list.