Just Curious

UNTLifer

How many beat writers post on Twitter every time a high school player that was offered by the school they cover commits elsewhere?  Do the UT writers do this when a kid commits to A&M or OU?  Does a writer that covers OU do this when a kid commits to OSU, UT, Nebraska, etc..?  

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 6

19 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

How many beat writers post on Twitter every time a high school player that was offered by the school they cover commits elsewhere?  Do the UT writers do this when a kid commits to A&M or OU?  Does a writer that covers OU do this when a kid commits to OSU, UT, Nebraska, etc..?  

For blue chip recruits, yes. The recent kid that you're referring to, with his offer list, is semi equivalent to a blue chip player for us. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I didn't refer to anyone in particular but thanks for trying to project what I was thinking.  Vito does this for every player that had an offer from us.  I was honestly curious if this was a normal practice of beat writers.  If this is a common practice, as you say, who does this?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

22 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I don't follow other beat writers, but other reporters for teams do this.

Covers OU

Covers SMU 

Just a couple examples. Yes, it is pretty common practice

He's just butthurt that Vito is airing dirty laundry and it reinforces what many deny. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 8

13 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

You're rivaling 90 with your dug in stances. 

Maybe so. But a couple want to talk in circles about how we're supposed to just expect poor recruiting or better yet be obliviously in denial. As long as they keep laying down BS rhetoric, I'm going to clean it up behind them. What happened to this athletic department can't happen again, and people with this kind of attitude or thought process is a significant contributing factor as to why it always feels like we're climbing out of a hole. 

18 minutes ago, GreenMachine said:

Butthurt? He was asking a simple question that could have been answered with a simple answer.

He was asking a question based off an article that Vito just published, where Vito did the very thing he is questiong. Live in reality. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

As a Mean Green fan who enjoys following the recruiting battles without following each recruit on Twitter, I actually appreciate Vito getting this information out to his followers.

In my opinion, it's much more valuable than the 5 point lists DMN requires him to produce

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Maybe so. But a couple want to talk in circles about how we're supposed to just expect poor recruiting or better yet be obliviously in denial. As long as they keep laying down BS rhetoric, I'm going to clean it up behind them. What happened to this athletic department can't happen again, and people with this kind of attitude or thought process is a significant contributing factor as to why it always feels like we're climbing out of a hole. 

He was asking a question based off an article that Vito just published, where Vito did the very thing he is questiong. Live in reality. 

Another swing and a miss, but thanks again for playing.

I was asking because I had been on Twitter earlier and had been noticing this.  As was stated above, a simple question.

Please show the BS rhetoric that required your corrections and "cleaning up?"  That is right, you won't find any.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

9 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

I would like for you to actually site 1, just 1 posting on here where anybody noted that they are good with poor recruiting, or the status quo......  You will not be able to do that....you are just projecting your self important opinion that everybody else is wrong, and you are right....

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

19 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I would like for you to actually site 1, just 1 posting on here where anybody noted that they are good with poor recruiting, or the status quo......  You will not be able to do that....you are just projecting your self important opinion that everybody else is wrong, and you are right....

There is no need to do that. It's the general acceptance of poor classes that brings fans to inevitably run to the defense of the staff. It happened during the McCarney years, and it's starting to happen again. 

And this has nothing to do with me, or whatever egomaniaism you're trying to attach to my name. Whoever knows me, knows that's not my persona. This has everything to do with trying to apply pressure, even if just on a message board, to this staff to up their game up on the recruiting trail. 

• Downvote 5

3 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

There is no need to do that. It's the general acceptance of poor classes that brings fans to inevitably run to the defense of the staff. It happened during the McCarney years, and it's starting to happen again. 

And this has nothing to do with me, or whatever egomaniaism you're trying to attach to my name. Whoever knows me, knows that's not my persona. This has everything to do with trying to apply pressure, even if just on a message board, to this staff to up their game up on the recruiting trail. 

So when a recruit reads this board, and you have to assume they do....they will know that we have no confidence in the UNT coaching staff...so wh should they?  Fact based criticism is fine. Not piling on, over and over....  Give these guys a chance to do what they were hired to do....  When I moved to my 2nd job out of college....it was a bad move, and I failed miserably.   Thank god that did not define me, for I went on to better things.  UNT can/will do that. Past failures do not define a program....next steps do.  But, if we keep piling on and reminding how bad we are....why would you expect change???  Sometimes you gotta have faith

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

So when a recruit reads this board, and you have to assume they do....they will know that we have no confidence in the UNT coaching staff...so wh should they?  Fact based criticism is fine. Not piling on, over and over....  Give these guys a chance to do what they were hired to do....  When I moved to my 2nd job out of college....it was a bad move, and I failed miserably.   Thank god that did not define me, for I went on to better things.  UNT can/will do that. Past failures do not define a program....next steps do.  But, if we keep piling on and reminding how bad we are....why would you expect change???  Sometimes you gotta have faith

Fact. No recruit in our 2018 class has another FBS offer, and that is extremely worrisome.

Edited by MGNation92
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

This staff has not given me a reason to shut my mouth and holdout for them to do their job. Go to a real fan board when a real football program is struggling in recruiting. Then talk about faith...you would get insulted and ridiculed off the board. I had a sliver of faith in McCarney and that very quickly dissipated quickly due to his poor recruiting and then his bone headed game management. But first, his poor recruiting. Show me results, not verbage and words. 

5 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Fact. No recruit in our 2018 class has another FBS offer, and that is extremely worrisome.

Yeah...But that's not a fact because it has no holes to wiggle an excuse into. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Every time I read this board lately:

giphy.gif

Yeah. I understand it. And I'm sorry for it. 

I can't take people tooting the horn of this staff for our 6 commits with exactly 6 total FBS offers. All because we're currently "6th" in CUSA ranking, which is a tremendously misleading ranking. When that changes, the conversation will be dropped. By at least me that is. If it continues, I will keep beating the drum. 

So, because you can't compare us to the toothless wonders at LSU, for example, you jump to the assumption that we are not a real fanbase or a real football program.  Look, we get that you are upset, dissatisfied, or whatever you want to call it with  your opinion of our recruiting.  Great.  Jumping on every thread about an offer or a young man that has decided to commit to our school and criticizing our staff, program and the young man indirectly is not helpful.  This is the same hard headedness that 90 exhibited over and over and over that just wears on people.  

Every time you complain about young men committing that don't have other FBS offers at this time, I can respond with success stories of young men that  didn't and ended up with great careers.  We can always improve, always, but we also have to overcome years of neglect from the university and failure for the majority of the lifetime of the young men we are after.  SL and staff are working to change this attitude, but it doesn't happen overnight, so I expect us to improve each year.  You can say last year's class wasn't as good as SL's first, but we won't really know until these players start contributing and we can evaluate their careers when they are done.

I think this all boils down to you have a negative impression of the recruiting efforts that not all of us share.  We are open and fine with your point of view when it is not placed in a thread dedicated to a young man committing to North Texas.  Share your thoughts in this thread or another one dedicated to criticizing recruiting.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

7 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Every time I read this board lately:

I cringe a bit every time I open up a football thread these days.    I keep thinking that one of these days something good is going to happen and things won't be so adversarial all the time.

Perhaps anger is probably better than apathy though.....I guess 

Fortunately, the Battle Flag won the vote and we can at least celebrate the small victories.    So, that is what I am going to do......

flagalone.jpg     maxresdefault.jpg

• Upvote 6

9 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

So, because you can't compare us to the toothless wonders at LSU, for example, you jump to the assumption that we are not a real fanbase or a real football program.  Look, we get that you are upset, dissatisfied, or whatever you want to call it with  your opinion of our recruiting.  Great.  Jumping on every thread about an offer or a young man that has decided to commit to our school and criticizing our staff, program and the young man indirectly is not helpful.  This is the same hard headedness that 90 exhibited over and over and over that just wears on people.  

Every time you complain about young men committing that don't have other FBS offers at this time, I can respond with success stories of young men that  didn't and ended up with great careers.  We can always improve, always, but we also have to overcome years of neglect from the university and failure for the majority of the lifetime of the young men we are after.  SL and staff are working to change this attitude, but it doesn't happen overnight, so I expect us to improve each year.  You can say last year's class wasn't as good as SL's first, but we won't really know until these players start contributing and we can evaluate their careers when they are done.

I think this all boils down to you have a negative impression of the recruiting efforts that not all of us share.  We are open and fine with your point of view when it is not placed in a thread dedicated to a young man committing to North Texas.  Share your thoughts in this thread or another one dedicated to criticizing recruiting.

I said yesterday that I would stop posting my thoughts on this staff in the threads of current and future commits. I told you that last night. 

And looking at the players we brought in in SL first class and the immediate impact they had, plus their positional effect to increase the odds of contributing, it's easy to see how his 1st class was better on paper and how it will more than likely be better on the field as well. 

And his 3rd class, though very far from complete, is on pace to be worse than both classes. And that is important to note because good classes are put together by momentum. We have none to speak of at this point. 

And it's not a "negative impression." That implies that what I am trying to tell you or others is a complete opinion with 0 base to stand on. What I am saying isn't an opinion at all. Read these 2 facts...1. We are doing very poor in recruiting. 2. Our 6 commits outside of UNT have 0 offers. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

12 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I didn't refer to anyone in particular but thanks for trying to project what I was thinking.  Vito does this for every player that had an offer from us.  I was honestly curious if this was a normal practice of beat writers.  If this is a common practice, as you say, who does this?

Projecting Lol?

48 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Also a fact - Seniors that will be playing football this fall have yet to play a snap of football.

How about we wait until football season for high schools starts before we freak out over how few FBS offers a recruit has or does not have.

49 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Yeah. I understand it. And I'm sorry for it. 

I can't take people tooting the horn of this staff for our 6 commits with exactly 6 total FBS offers. All because we're currently "6th" in CUSA ranking, which is a tremendously misleading ranking. When that changes, the conversation will be dropped. By at least me that is. If it continues, I will keep beating the drum. 

what do you expect to accomplish on this board by beating your drum. If you really feel this strongly about recruiting, get on the horn with coaches, recruiters, WB etc. Sitting here spouting the same crap over and over, straight from the UNT90 playbook, will do absolutely no good. At some point, it just becomes senseless, annoying bitching.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, GreenMachine said:

what do you expect to accomplish on this board by beating your drum. If you really feel this strongly about recruiting, get on the horn with coaches, recruiters, WB etc. Sitting here spouting the same crap over and over, straight from the UNT90 playbook, will do absolutely no good. At some point, it just becomes senseless, annoying bitching.

Wth is this going to do?