Question about Recruiting Threads

Caw Caw

Can we limit the "can't recruit", "no offers" to threads other than the kids individual thread? I'm not even saying don't offer criticism (step too slow in film, great athlete in space doesn't take on the block well, good upper body mechanics needs work on foot work, etc). But we already know there's a group of people who object to the current level/method of recruiting and talent identification here. But at this point, it just bogs down the threads of kids who are happy to get an offer from us and be here. Again, there can be a place for this, but it's not constructive at this point and these players are coming here and excited to be here. It's turning into the boards new version of every thread being about RV.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

@Harry PLEASE IMPLEMENT THIS. Please 

44 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

+1,000

46 minutes ago, Caw Caw said:

Can we limit the "can't recruit", "no offers" to threads other than the kids individual thread? I'm not even saying don't offer criticism (step too slow in film, great athlete in space doesn't take on the block well, good upper body mechanics needs work on foot work, etc). But we already know there's a group of people who object to the current level/method of recruiting and talent identification here. But at this point, it just bogs down the threads of kids who are happy to get an offer from us and be here. Again, there can be a place for this, but it's not constructive at this point and these players are coming here and excited to be here. It's turning into the boards new version of every thread being about RV.

Yeah, let's ignore reality. The problem will go away then. 

And I'm glad it's turning into an RV-ish issue. Is RV still here? 

We can't just ignore it, and there's no better place to freshen the idea into people's brains when the inevitable strikes time and time again. Hopefully we end up with a roster of prove people wrongers. At this point, we're gonna have to. 

But I'll tell you what, I'll create a thread for this and I will not personally comment the theme of this coaching staff into a kids thread. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

16 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

We can't just ignore it, and there's no better place to freshen the idea into people's brains when the inevitable strikes time and time again. Hopefully we end up with a roster of prove people wrongers. At this point, we're gonna have to. 

But I'll tell you what, I'll create a thread for this and I will not personally comment the theme of this coaching staff into a kids thread. 

Again, not trying to ignore. I appreciate your willingness to do so. We should set up some sort of wager on the subject. Open to suggestions.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

Just don't do it in the recruit's thread. You can do it in threads regarding the subject (which there have been some) or create one of your own.

Also, to add on to this request, this also means don't go posting "I thought this staff couldn't recruit" in these same threads. Egging on the other side of the argument is asking for a rebuttal. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Just don't do it in the recruit's thread. You can do it in threads regarding the subject (which there have been some) or create one of your own.

Also, to add on to this request, this also means don't go posting "I thought this staff couldn't recruit" in these same threads. Egging on the other side of the argument is asking for a rebuttal. 

This draws me offsides often.

• Upvote 7

18 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I just find it hilarious.

Most of those "I THOUGHT THIS STAFF COULDN'T RECRUIT HUR DUR" posts are usually followed with X player committing to another school, like yep, you just proved our point for us.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

3 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I just find it hilarious.

Most of those "I THOUGHT THIS STAFF COULDN'T RECRUIT HUR DUR" posts are usually followed with X player committing to another school, like yep, you just proved our point for us.

I know. Then they say, "Well, at least they can identify talent." That's like saying at least a doctor can take a blood pressure. We know they can identify talent. They are on a college staff after all. They might be over identifying though. @GMG24 has the numbers, but I believe 2/3 of their offers last year went to P5 schools. Not sure if that's really a good thing.  

• Downvote 2

53 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I know. Then they say, "Well, at least they can identify talent." That's like saying at least a doctor can take a blood pressure. We know they can identify talent. They are on a college staff after all. They might be over identifying though. @GMG24 has the numbers, but I believe 2/3 of their offers last year went to P5 schools. Not sure if that's really a good thing.  

I agree.  Staff can identify but may be over targeting. On the other side of this coin, I feel like just because we identify late and kid has no other offers doesn't mean they can't recruit just tells me they continue to evaluate and find talent.   Sure I'd love to see us landing more 3/4 star kids but I'm also willing to trust the talent evaluation.  Now it's time to start reeling kids with decent offer list in. For instance, they should be blowing up the Frisco kids about staying home and tying into Kason etc.   get your QB to help recruit dudes you want. 

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I agree.  Staff can identify but may be over targeting. On the other side of this coin, I feel like just because we identify late and kid has no other offers doesn't mean they can't recruit just tells me they continue to evaluate and find talent.   Sure I'd love to see us landing more 3/4 star kids but I'm also willing to trust the talent evaluation.  Now it's time to start reeling kids with decent offer list in. For instance, they should be blowing up the Frisco kids about staying home and tying into Kason etc.   get your QB to help recruit dudes you want. 

Speaking of which...

• Upvote 5

54 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

Speaking of which...

Love this.

3 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Where is anyone asking you to ignore it?

6 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Love this.

Where is anyone asking you to ignore it?

No one has to say that. But there are a lot of people completely clueless in the macro conversation about turning a program around. Every instance for each turnaround happened due to an uptick in recruiting. Allllllll of them. People write it off as baseless information and minus 1 people to Internet death because people don't want to hear about the facts that are happening. I keep hearing, "let the staff do their job" or "trust in the staff" or the worst, "development." All of that is hocus pocus. But whatever let's you guys sleep at night I guess. Same shit was said when McCarney was here by a lot of the same people. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

No one has to say that. But there are a lot of people completely clueless in the macro conversation about turning a program around. Every instance for each turnaround happened due to an uptick in recruiting. Allllllll of them. People write it off as baseless information and minus 1 people to Internet death because people don't want to hear about the facts that are happening. I keep hearing, "let the staff do their job" or "trust in the staff" or the worst, "development." All of that is hocus pocus. But whatever let's you guys sleep at night I guess. Same shit was said when McCarney was here by a lot of the same people. 

Once again, you miss the point entirely.  Nobody ever said ignore it, just don't turn every thread about a new recruit in to a diatribe on your opinionmof the staff's recruiting failures.  See, not ignoring just doing it elsewhere.  Get it?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

Once again, you miss the point entirely.  Nobody ever said ignore it, just don't turn every thread about a new recruit in to a diatribe on your opinionmof the staff's recruiting failures.  See, not ignoring just doing it elsewhere.  Get it?

No. I don't get it. It's the lifeline to collegiate success. It's not diatribe at all. If you don't like facts about poor recruiting, block me. Simple. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Ben Gooding said:

No. I don't get it. It's the lifeline to collegiate success. It's not diatribe at all. If you don't like facts about poor recruiting, block me. Simple. 

Nobody is asking you not to share your opinion on recruiting just not in a thread about a new commit.

3 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Nobody is asking you not to share your opinion on recruiting just not in a thread about a new commit.

And if you would call on your eyeballs to take you to my first post on this thread, maybe you could take a step back off the ledge. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3