Ryan Peck/Chris Baretta Revenue Interview

Not sure if food trucks is the answer, but anything that gets more people in the parking lot on game day seems like a step in the right direction.  I think there are lots of things the AD could do to cater to the pre-game atmosphere.  I would look at ways to draw in corporate types into the tailgating scene.  Corporate types love to entertain and give tickets to customers.  

Do something that makes it worth their while and easy to participate in tailgating.  Promote the heck out of the pre-game scene.  No reason we can't go undefeated every year during the pre-game.  I think we are missing a big opportunity to create a more organized tailgating scene and turn every gameday into a much bigger experience.  Right now, we are just kinda checking the box.  Got tailgating? Check.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Because the food trucks give people another experience at the game. It gives more added value to the price of the ticket, even if you don't use it.  Also, the food trucks likely wouldn't have the same food choices and would have a slightly higher price.  Plus UNT could charge them rent or a % of sales.

They could do it outside, or even UNT could rent out space to them. Most food trucks won't put a dent in terms of beverage sales or other simple things like nachos or peanuts etc that the concession stands sale. It's about getting more butts in the stadium. If UNT can sale 1 more ticket because someone's wife or kid wants to go because of XYZ food truck, then UNT won't care if they buy from concessions or from a food truck. 

You are telling me that the reason people will come watch a losing football team is because food trucks are parked outside before the game?

Boy...RV really was a dimwit if it's that easy.

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

You are telling me that the reason people will come watch a losing football team is because food trucks are parked outside before the game?

Boy...RV really was a dimwit if it's that easy.

Pretty sure he said that if it gets one butt in the seat, it's worth it.

No one here is claiming that a freaking food truck will bump up attendance and solve all our problems. It's about the experience and atmosphere, not attendance. 

Pregame/tailgating is part of the game day experience. Why even nitpick at this? Who gives a damn if there are food trucks? Who gives a damn if there aren't?

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Aldo said:

Victory circle would be my vote. Not on the grass, right in front of the student entrance and MG Gameday set up.

Are you for real?

For one, the food trucks would pay to play.

Also, how are concessions not losing revenue from people tailgating and eating balls, burgers, and brats? I eat when I tailgate, I eat when I'm in the game.

So....you are going to eat when you tailgate, then go to the food trucks to eat, then go into the stadium and eat during the game.....  I'm impressed....  I can't eat that much....anymore.  What are you willing to give up to get the food truck in?  I have been to literally dozens of college football stadiums, and do not remember ever seeing Food trucks there....  People tailgate....people eat in the stadium....  Yes, food trucks would pay to set-up shop in high traffic area....  What part of the current experience are you willing to sacrifice?  Do you per chance own a couple of food trucks???

• Downvote 1

22 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

Not sure if food trucks is the answer, but anything that gets more people in the parking lot on game day seems like a step in the right direction.  I think there are lots of things the AD could do to cater to the pre-game atmosphere.  I would look at ways to draw in corporate types into the tailgating scene.  Corporate types love to entertain and give tickets to customers.  

Do something that makes it worth their while and easy to participate in tailgating.  Promote the heck out of the pre-game scene.  No reason we can't go undefeated every year during the pre-game.  I think we are missing a big opportunity to create a more organized tailgating scene and turn every gameday into a much bigger experience.  Right now, we are just kinda checking the box.  Got tailgating? Check.

Getting corporate/company tailgates going would be a big gain...from employees and clients, this would get some casual fans to attend. Think about the school districts, hospitals, small and mid size businesses, and corporations located around Denton alone...but there is the eternal rub--it would have to get Denton's support, which has never been there. Businesses fear showing more attention to UNT than TWU. The anti-athletic vibe in Denton still runs strong. But the tailgate for companies is a great idea if you can get them interested.

2 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I have been to literally dozens of college football stadiums, and do not remember ever seeing Food trucks there

Which is a good reason to do what others aren't

2 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

What part of the current experience are you willing to sacrifice?

See, this is a logical fallacy.

Why do I have to sacrifice anything? You're assuming adding an element to the tailgate experience hurts another element. Or that I have too much to do.

You're also overemphasizing the importance and the influence of concessions. Does North Texas get 100% proceeds of concessions? Does North Texas get 100% proceeds of the shirt people selling shirts, or Monster people selling Monster?

• You know, having Monster at the tailgate really hampers soda sales in the concessions.
  • Having people bring their own beer to tailgates hurts beer sales
  • Having shirt companies really hampers shirt sales in the stadium
  • The presence of the second stadium store really hurts the sales of the first stadium store.
  • etc etc etc
Edited by Aldo
  • Upvote 1