Ryan Peck/Chris Baretta Revenue Interview

10 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Because the food trucks give people another experience at the game. It gives more added value to the price of the ticket, even if you don't use it.  Also, the food trucks likely wouldn't have the same food choices and would have a slightly higher price.  Plus UNT could charge them rent or a % of sales.

They could do it outside, or even UNT could rent out space to them. Most food trucks won't put a dent in terms of beverage sales or other simple things like nachos or peanuts etc that the concession stands sale. It's about getting more butts in the stadium. If UNT can sale 1 more ticket because someone's wife or kid wants to go because of XYZ food truck, then UNT won't care if they buy from concessions or from a food truck. 

if food trucks put more butts in seats, I think everybody would be doing it already....Food Trucks are NOT the answer....  We have food services already...

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

I think that was a good idea. But upon further review, the graduates who received the free season tickets have no skin in the game. Poor performance on the field will mean the graduates may just stay home.

This is what kills me on this board....everybody screams to do more the get seats in the house....they do a nice program to engage recent graduate...which we need to grow the alumni association and fan base....and this gets criticized as too little too late....What brilliant idea would you do?

• Upvote 1

It seems to me that until you become a Nebraska or Alabama with multi-generational waiting lists for season tickets that have been sold out for decades, that while season tickets are super nice, they're probably not going to sustain a program.  

To date, I've never seen UNT do anything to substantially increase single game ticket sales.  If anything, the first time I came to a game nine years ago, it felt pretty hostile all around.   The great demise of the secret wristband societies in the move from Fouts to Apogee greatly improved the outside the stadium experience for the casual fan.  Not sure what else, if anything, has really improved if you're not a parking pass holder/season ticket holder who knows exactly what to do and where to go.

Now then, how to get there?  Therein lies the step 1, step 2, step 3 ???, step 4 PROFIT! conundrum. 

Let's face it.  It's a pain in the ass to get to Denton right now and will continue as such for a couple more years.  How do you convince the casual fan to brave the 35 for what has historically been a subpar (and that's a GENEROUS classification) college football team? 

And don't anybody tell me free buckets of fried chicken or free bento boxes from the new sushi joint in town. 

59 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Because the food trucks give people another experience at the game. It gives more added value to the price of the ticket, even if you don't use it.  Also, the food trucks likely wouldn't have the same food choices and would have a slightly higher price.  Plus UNT could charge them rent or a % of sales.

They could do it outside, or even UNT could rent out space to them. Most food trucks won't put a dent in terms of beverage sales or other simple things like nachos or peanuts etc that the concession stands sale. It's about getting more butts in the stadium. If UNT can sale 1 more ticket because someone's wife or kid wants to go because of XYZ food truck, then UNT won't care if they buy from concessions or from a food truck. 

The biggest problem with food trucks is you would have to leave both Apogee and The Super Pit to access the vendors. Not exactly practical for a number of reasons.

With Apogee we already have third party vendors that man some of the concession booths. 

I think almost every G5 program faces what we face. We don't play teams that are going to get the generic fan to come out and spend 4-5 hours of his day to watch us play most of the CUSA teams--don't even get me started on the FCS game. The students are showing up more and more, which helps the early season crowds when we play the FCS school or some of the CUSA teams, as does Homecoming.

There isn't an easy fix here unless it involves winning more. The student body of the last decade, as well as those graduates in that same time, seem to really enjoy UNT Football games more than anyone ever has in the previous decades. But it takes about 20 years for those folks to make serious money to give back to the program, so maybe things get better in the future for our fundraising and season ticket buyers. But the lost generations of fans from the I-aa debacle cannot be understated. We probably lost the majority of fans/potential fans from the 70s thru the 90s. And it is the sad reality that this situation was what RV took complete advantage of by cozying up to 17 people who wanted to run things and got protected for the last 10 years on the job.

Can Wren Baker and staff fix this? I want to believe, but as others have stated, we haven't seen much yet, on a fundraising point, but its still really, really early. And he has a huge amount of apathy and even antagonistic views to defeat within the UNT Family. Defeating that, even just a little, would be gigantic for athletics here.

54 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

if food trucks put more butts in seats, I think everybody would be doing it already....Food Trucks are NOT the answer....  We have food services already...

You have totally missed the point!

The point of the idea was that you do things that would create added value to the price of a ticket. If it means some brings their wife or kids because of that "experience" then great. The trucks want it because its a large customer base and a way for them to get exposure (win win) The trucks likely will not affect the concessions because they don't sale the same stuff. Again another experience for people to try something new.

its 2017, the old-school ways of getting customers has changed. You have to give people added value. If people think they are getting 15 dollars of value for a 10 dollar ticket then they are more likely to come back. People now are able to stay home and watch the game, or list to the game and with the sub-par product that has been on the field for past number of years as well. Denton also, isn't something that is exactly close to home for most people. 

http://jameystegmaier.com/2012/04/why-do-you-go-to-live-sporting-events/  This article talks with Mark Cuban about the fan experience. With subpar product on the field, we should exposure and explore different areas to make games unique and an experience. So once we do start to win, you can have multiple different things for fans and a larger fan base as well to sale too. 

Just now, UNTFan23 said:

The biggest problem with food trucks is you would have to leave both Apogee and The Super Pit to access the vendors. Not exactly practical for a number of reasons.

With Apogee we already have third party vendors that man some of the concession booths. 

Again this is something that could be easily worked out by having 1 or 2 in the stadium or even having them outside for pregames, etc. hell let the fans have the ability to re-enter the stadium with there game ticket. Not like we are anywhere near capacity. 

The thought process of this was an example of an idea, that is somewhat unique to Denton that could help bring in fans, even if its just 50-100 fans a game that is a sizable amount of $ even if they don't buy anything from the concession stands. 

14 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

You have totally missed the point!

The point of the idea was that you do things that would create added value to the price of a ticket. If it means some brings their wife or kids because of that "experience" then great. The trucks want it because its a large customer base and a way for them to get exposure (win win) The trucks likely will not affect the concessions because they don't sale the same stuff. Again another experience for people to try something new.

its 2017, the old-school ways of getting customers has changed. You have to give people added value. If people think they are getting 15 dollars of value for a 10 dollar ticket then they are more likely to come back. People now are able to stay home and watch the game, or list to the game and with the sub-par product that has been on the field for past number of years as well. Denton also, isn't something that is exactly close to home for most people. 

http://jameystegmaier.com/2012/04/why-do-you-go-to-live-sporting-events/  This article talks with Mark Cuban about the fan experience. With subpar product on the field, we should exposure and explore different areas to make games unique and an experience. So once we do start to win, you can have multiple different things for fans and a larger fan base as well to sale too. 

Again this is something that could be easily worked out by having 1 or 2 in the stadium or even having them outside for pregames, etc. hell let the fans have the ability to re-enter the stadium with there game ticket. Not like we are anywhere near capacity. 

The thought process of this was an example of an idea, that is somewhat unique to Denton that could help bring in fans, even if its just 50-100 fans a game that is a sizable amount of $ even if they don't buy anything from the concession stands. 

I agree with the fan experience, but a food truck is not it.  We have food services....do not compete with your own products....  We do need "extras" to get more fans to come.  I like your thought process, just not this idea.....Keep them coming......

17 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I agree with the fan experience, but a food truck is not it.  We have food services....do not compete with your own products....  We do need "extras" to get more fans to come.  I like your thought process, just not this idea.....Keep them coming......

The food truck wouldn't compete with our products. Its things that we don't have, and they could even be pre/post game things as well. We may not think that they are a "fan experience" but I'm sure plenty of parents would bring kids and plenty of familes and individuals would enjoy something new.

35 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

The food truck wouldn't compete with our products. Its things that we don't have, and they could even be pre/post game things as well. We may not think that they are a "fan experience" but I'm sure plenty of parents would bring kids and plenty of familes and individuals would enjoy something new.

Hell, we can't even get fans to come to games due to the horrendous traffic on 35 because of the inconvenience, now we are expecting them to walk a little further to get food? Not gonna happen. 

42 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

If I were in charge and going to consider food trucks for football games, here's what I'd do:

• Put them in the old hotel parking lot. It's right there next to the tailgating area plus there's easy road access without taking up any premium parking spots.
  • They'd be open any time before the game begins until kickoff. Once the game begins they can close up and head home.
  • Sorry, there will be no changes to the outside food/drink and the no readmittance policies.
  • The athletics department will get a percentage of all sales receipts.

Hopefully the vendors make enough to make it worth their while.

Edited by UNTFan23

2 minutes ago, GreenMachine said:

Hell, we can't even get fans to come to games due to the horrendous traffic on 35 because of the inconvenience, now we are expecting them to walk a little further to get food? Not gonna happen. 

Start thinking like modern and successful sports organization or get left in the dust. The Texas Rangers do this and it works great

14 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

If I were in charge and going to consider food trucks for football games, here's what I'd do:

• Put them in the old hotel parking lot. It's right there next to the tailgating area plus there's easy road access without taking up any premium parking spots.
  • They'd be open any time before the game begins until kickoff. Once the game begins they can close up and head home.
  • Sorry, there will be no changes to the outside food/drink and the no readmittance policies.
  • The athletics department will get a percentage of all sales receipts.

Hopefully the vendors make enough to make it worth their while.

I feel like GMG.com could produce over 50 ideas on ways to help drive people to the games, but yet they have not reached out to anyone here...

Heck they could even have it over by Fouts or around the pond at Apogee as well. 

7 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I feel like GMG.com could produce over 50 ideas on ways to help drive people to the games, but yet they have not reached out to anyone here...

Heck they could even have it over by Fouts or around the pond at Apogee as well. 

Have you seen the "tailgating" scene over on the west side of the stadium? It's awful. I know folks who have asked to have parking passes for that side of the stadium (green, white, and black passes) and traded them in for red/blue passes because no one tailgates on that side of the stadium. Lots of those folks show up right before the game starts or head over to the other side of the stadium to meet up with their friends in the other lot.

Since the Fouts lot is a cash lot, where do you stick these food trucks so that you don't lose out on parking revenue?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UNTFan23 said:

Since the Fouts lot is a cash lot, where do you stick these food trucks so that you don't lose out on parking revenue?

Could easily have them lined up near the bridge or have them over by the murchison arts center and park and even have them park in the grass if they are that worried about the parking revenue. 

Also, if they got a % of sales that would likely make up for the parking revenue missed, or why I suggested just charge them a flat rate and just let it be after that. 

10 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Could easily have them lined up near the bridge or have them over by the murchison arts center and park and even have them park in the grass if they are that worried about the parking revenue. 

Also, if they got a % of sales that would likely make up for the parking revenue missed, or why I suggested just charge them a flat rate and just let it be after that. 

I wouldn't want a heavy vehicle parking on the grass because if the ground is too wet they can easily leave wheel ruts in your grass or worse, they get stuck. It would be on the vendor to get unstuck and if they have to call for a tow truck to pull them out of the mud, they likely lose their entire profit for the day. Also, the Denton Fire Department might have something to say if these trucks are sitting in designated fire lanes.

While the sales receipts would cover the losses from having to give up parking spots, it's still lost revenue. If you give each vendor 2 spots at a value of $120/season and they made you $250/game for $1500 a season, your net gain is $1380/vendor for a season. Personally, I'd rather realize the full $1500 but that's just the smart, savvy business major in me.

33 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

I wouldn't want a heavy vehicle parking on the grass because if the ground is too wet they can easily leave wheel ruts in your grass or worse, they get stuck. It would be on the vendor to get unstuck and if they have to call for a tow truck to pull them out of the mud, they likely lose their entire profit for the day. Also, the Denton Fire Department might have something to say if these trucks are sitting in designated fire lanes.

While the sales receipts would cover the losses from having to give up parking spots, it's still lost revenue. If you give each vendor 2 spots at a value of $120/season and they made you $250/game for $1500 a season, your net gain is $1380/vendor for a season. Personally, I'd rather realize the full $1500 but that's just the smart, savvy business major in me.

but how much revenue would the food truck remove from the concessions inside the stadium?  I am not in favor of losing that revenue at all.  As somebody said in an earlier post, some stands inside the stadium are manned by groups raising money for charity or boys/girl scouts.  If I am eating 2 slices of pizza, or a BBQ sandwich or 2 before going into the game, am I going to buy food, popped corn and such????  Well, I am going to eat up in the Club section, but you get my drift.....

Just now, MeanGreen_MBA said:

but how much revenue would the food truck remove from the concessions inside the stadium?  I am not in favor of losing that revenue at all.  As somebody said in an earlier post, some stands inside the stadium are manned by groups raising money for charity or boys/girl scouts.  If I am eating 2 slices of pizza, or a BBQ sandwich or 2 before going into the game, am I going to buy food, popped corn and such????  Well, I am going to eat up in the Club section, but you get my drift.....

I totally get where you are coming from. I don't think food trucks are quite the driver in getting fans to attend games. Winning must be priority number one and by a huge margin.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

The idea is to get more peoples butts in the stadium. If even a % money from concessions is going to charity or other organizations, UNT isn't seeing it either way. UNT would then be better off with whatever gets people to the stadium. Get people into the stadium and then you worry about the concessions and that. But again the Food Trucks, mostly do not affect the concession because they do not sale the same thing outside of beverages usually. Also, the prices of the Food Trucks are more likely to be slightly higher than the normal concession stand. 

2 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

Once this is an idea that then could be explored and something that would be adjusted. We are not talking about them just cramming in as much as possible into the stadium. The worries about the grass and mud are things that would can be adjusted....

About the 1380/1500, that is a difference of $120 which could easily be made up through tickets and parking. Take whatever you want, but I would take the better experience. Also, these vendors do not have to be in parking spots. We have pointed out that they can be different areas as well that do not take up parking spots, which then would create the same revenue as without them or more because of what they would bring in terms of fans being interested.

18 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

Victory circle would be my vote. Not on the grass, right in front of the student entrance and MG Gameday set up.

17 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Are you for real?

For one, the food trucks would pay to play.

Also, how are concessions not losing revenue from people tailgating and eating balls, burgers, and brats? I eat when I tailgate, I eat when I'm in the game.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Aldo said:

Victory circle would be my vote. Not on the grass, right in front of the student entrance and MG Gameday set up.

Are you for real?

Also, how are concessions not losing revenue from people tailgating and eating balls, burgers, and brats? I eat when I tailgate, I eat when I'm in the game.

I think they still use that for the bus route for students who had to have their cars removed from the parking lot. If they can make it work while keeping the bus route going, it wouldn't hurt anything.

The food truck idea sounds nice on the outside but I think it would return marginal results at best. When people go to a sporting event, they are mainly there to watch a team play. Peripheral events are nice and add to the experience but they tend to not serve as a means to draw in that many more people. Winning on the field/court will go a long way to getting more people to attend games than any other efforts put forth.

Just now, UNTFan23 said:

I think they still use that for the bus route for students who had to have their cars removed from the parking lot. If they can make it work while keeping the bus route going, it wouldn't hurt anything.

The bus runs on gamedays on victory circle in front of the ticket booth? 

1 minute ago, UNTFan23 said:

Peripheral events are nice and add to the experience 

Agree, and that would be the only reason to have it. Don't think anyone would use it to draw bigger crowds, but just to say "we have this and it's cool".

1 minute ago, Aldo said:

The bus runs on gamedays on victory circle in front of the ticket booth? 

Agree, and that would be the only reason to have it. Don't think anyone would use it to draw bigger crowds, but just to say "we have this and it's cool".

The question ultimately comes down to whether vendors who decide to participate in this make a profit or not. I tailgate before the games so I wouldn't be buying anything for the vendors so hopefully there would be enough interest to make a worthwhile venture.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Are you for real?

Exactly.  Beth Marie's, for example, aren't walking in and taking up prime vendor space at each game without paying.