Name your breakout player for 2017

Harry

I thought it would be interesting to talk about guys who may really have huge seasons in 2017.

I have several of these in mind but I am going to have to go with Hambone (La'Darius Hamilton).

A true sophomore at 6-3, 265, good speed and a very impressive all C-USA freshman team year is already under his belt.  I knew he would be special last year when he played his first game as a true freshman against SMU and registered 3 tackles, one for a loss and a deflection that led to an interception.  He played in EVERY game last season and made contributions in most all of them.

Now that he has a year in the system I can see him making a huge impact this season from the edge.  Again, a guy that what rated a 2-star and his best other offer was Lafayette.  I see him as proof the staff can identify talent.

maxresdefault.jpg

https://www.roadtogreatness.org/ladarius/

44 minutes ago, Harry said:

I thought it would be interesting to talk about guys who may really have huge seasons in 2017.

I have several of these in mind but I am going to have to go with Hambone (La'Darius Hamilton).

A true sophomore at 6-3, 265, good speed and a very impressive all C-USA freshman team year is already under his belt.  I knew he would be special last year when he played his first game as a true freshman against SMU and registered 3 tackles, one for a loss and a deflection that led to an interception.  He played in EVERY game last season and made contributions in most all of them.

Now that he has a year in the system I can see him making a huge impact this season from the edge.  Again, a guy that what rated a 2-star and his best other offer was Lafayette.  I see him as proof the staff can identify talent.

Great pick Harry!

I'll go with my adopted player, Rico Bussey.  A year & an offseason now under his belt, hopefully the game is slowed down for him a bit and he's ready to step up to be the man.  It would not surprise me to see Bussey lead the team in receiving stats this season.
636184537142762347-USP-NCAA-FOOTBALL-HEA

42 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Brandon Garner on defense.

Rico Bussey on offense.

another great pick.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I'm gonna go with Caleb Chumley. If we have any sort of consistent QB play he will tear up the seams all day long. He was making our linebackers look silly in the spring game. Huge mismatch at the Y

Chumley was a guy on my finalist list.  Really excited for him to show what he can do now that he is finally healthy.

12 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I'm really hoping Graham Harrell has a breakout year. I think it's vital to our season success. 

With that said, I think Jeff Wilson pops 1k's cherry this year. 

No offense to 1k...  Seems like a nice, upstanding number.  A number you could really see settling down with, and not ashamed of introducing to your parents. 
But UNT RB's have been running a train on that number pretty consistently over the past 18 years (since JaQuay Wilbourn in 1999).  
It's only Jeff's turn.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

No offense to 1k...  Seems like a nice, upstanding number.  A number you could really see settling down with, and not ashamed of introducing to your parents. 
But UNT RB's have been running a train on that number pretty consistently over the past 18 years (since JaQuay Wilbourn in 1999).  
It's only Jeff's turn.

exactly. Brandin Byrd ran over 1k his senior year and he isn't near as fast and as touted as Wilson is supposed to be. 1k should be an easy achievement for Wilson if he stays healthy

9 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I think English will come in and own the D-Line.  Our Defense may be the key to success.  Getting the ball near mid-field most of the time, keeping the opposing D on the field a lot....this will help the O....D sets it up....

Our coaches have been quoted as saying that they think our D-Line is probably our strongest position group on the team.

Hamilton is a great pick.  I think he is the right combination of size, speed, attitude and work ethic to be something special by the time he graduates.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

59 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Our coaches have been quoted as saying that they think our D-Line is probably our strongest position group on the team.

Hamilton is a great pick.  I think he is the right combination of size, speed, attitude and work ethic to be something special by the time he graduates.

It should be with the likes of English, Young, Hambone, TJ, Flu as well. 

Noviel will be fun to see if he can do anything, looked more explosive than Hambone while Hambone looked more physical. 

-------------

My breakout candidate is the FT. Worth RS-FR QB turned WR Griffin. We needed a shifty slot guy and hopefully he can be that guy for this offense. 

Adding him only makes the WRs deeper behind Guyton, RICO, smiley, and Tyler Wilson.

1 hour ago, Aldo said:

I'm going to go with Turner Smiley. I've been down on him, but I think he has a Darnell Smith type season.

My question is who is that #2 WR? Is it Rico or Turner? They both should see the field a lot but wonder who is paired with Guyton

22 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

My question is who is that #2 WR? Is it Rico or Turner? They both should see the field a lot but wonder who is paired with Guyton

I think it's not unreasonable to think one of those dudes hits 800 (Smiley) yards, someone hits 600 (Bussey), and the other hits 400-600 (Guyton).

That's my hot taek.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Aldo said:

I think it's not unreasonable to think one of those dudes hits 800 (Smiley) yards, someone hits 600 (Bussey), and the other hits 400-600 (Guyton).

That's my hot taek.

We definitely needing a lot more yardage from our WRs.

Agreed but hoping it's Guyton at 800, Rico at 600. That would bold well in going into the following season in terms of production and experience. 

• Upvote 1

On defense, I hope it's English. With his enthusiasm for North Texas, he could help build the excitement with local athletes with his actions as well as his words. 

On offense, I hope we look back and are in amazement of how the line came together. If they come together a lot of our QB issues will take care of themselves.

• Upvote 2

Nic Smith 

get ready.  This dude was one of the best RBs to come through Martin HS and they've had some FREAKS.  He's about to show out.  Bet he ends the year with 1,000 yards. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Nic Smith 

get ready.  This dude was one of the best RBs to come through Martin HS and they've had some FREAKS.  He's about to show out.  Bet he ends the year with 1,000 yards. 

All purpose or rushing?  

Either way, if he does that paired with Wilson's production and the passing game...We'll at minimum be an 8 win team. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Ben Gooding said:

All purpose or rushing?  

Either way, if he does that paired with Wilson's production and the passing game...We'll at minimum be an 8 win team. 

I'll be safe and say all purpose, but I think he could get their rushing.  This kids special. 

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Nic-Smith-35650/RecruitInterests

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/2594964/5721b6350dcb0d12f84e6826

before he blew his knee out dude was fixing to blow up.