2016 - Three & Outs

jdennis82

Hadn't seen this data presented before but can't say it surprises me...

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2017/6/21/15845208/college-football-three-and-out-rates-clemson-north-texas

Best three-and-out margins in the country:

(As in, defensive percentage minus offensive percentage.)

1. Clemson +19.7%
  2. Southern Miss +18.4%
  3. Alabama +15.9%
  4. Tulsa +14.9%
  5. Michigan +14.6%
  6. Temple +13.9%
  7. Appalachian State +13.8%
  8. Virginia Tech +12.4%
  9. Oklahoma +12.4%
  10. Toledo +12.3%

Worst three-and-out margins:

1. North Texas -16.8%
  2. Rutgers -14.4%
  3. Illinois -13.1%
  4. Fresno State -11.9%
  5. UConn -11.6%
  6. Charlotte -10.3%
  7. Buffalo -10.1%
  8. UNLV -9.8%
  9. Arizona -9.6%
  10. Marshall -9.1%
Combined record of the top 10 teams: 111-31, with five conference titles and both spots in the CFP final.
Combined record of the bottom 10 teams: 30-89.

I believe there might be a correlation there.

Noted in the article...

"North Texas made a bowl but ranked in the bottom six! (So did BC, but that’s because the Eagles’ defense was as good at forcing 3&Os as opponents were.) The Mean Green leaned heavily on awesome punting to basically generate an extra first down per drive."

As was noted by the guys at TexasFootball.com when they assessed the Three Things on the NT To Do List , I think improvement up front on both sides of the ball will go a long way to making the proposition of success on 3rd down much more likely.  

Whatever the cause, definitely an area that needs focus as we head into 2017.

• Upvote 1

This is the absolute hardest thing to fix--the defensive front seven. It's a combo of coaching, strength and conditioning, and player development. This was the biggest disappointment about McCarney--this was supposed to be his strength, coaching and developing linemen. The fact we won 5 games last year with the roster we had for both lines is darn near miraculous, IMO.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, oldguystudent said:

If memory serves correctly, Will Atterberry was the most prolific player of the Dodge years.  

If USC is tailback U., then UNT is punter U. 

You weren't around here for the days of Toby Godwin or John Baker, both of whom were NFL punters and led the NCAA in punting during the 90s.

We really are the program for punters...

2 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

You weren't around here for the days of Toby Godwin or John Baker, both of whom were NFL punters and led the NCAA in punting during the 90s.

We really are the program for punters...

I spent the nineties engaged in activities that had absolutely nothing to do with football unless we want to be more liberal with the term tailback. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I hope you were the QB and not the center...

I have one child of which I am aware.  It would, however, not be a huge surprised to find out that there were a number of 20-22 year old kids traipsing about the Korean peninsula right about now with suspiciously round eyes and socially unacceptable irreverence. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

This is the absolute hardest thing to fix--the defensive front seven. It's a combo of coaching, strength and conditioning, and player development. This was the biggest disappointment about McCarney--this was supposed to be his strength, coaching and developing linemen. The fact we won 5 games last year with the roster we had for both lines is darn near miraculous, IMO.

Fastest way to fix it, in my opinion, is great recruiting along with the three areas you mentioned.

Edited by KRAM1