DRC (updated): Kason Martin talks about committing to UNT

Brett Vito

17 minutes ago, GTWT said:

If this commit holds this kid will have a good chance be an excellent pick-up for UNT.  Of course, his lack of P5 offers  will disappoint some folks on GMG who pride themselves on fortune-telling.

Wrong. Lack of any FBS offers. Zero. 

Offer lists and the star system is not a perfect system, but it's damn close. And much, much more safer than "development". 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 10

8 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Wrong. Lack of any FBS offers. Zero. 

Offer lists and the star system is not a perfect system, but it's damn close. And much, much more safer than "development". 

"Damn close" to perfect?  An how is waiting to see how a player develops "unsafe"?  By your 'logic' we shouldn't even play the games, we should just add up the stars & the offers.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just now, GTWT said:

"Damn close" to perfect?  An how is waiting to see how a player develops "unsafe"?  By your 'logic' we shouldn't even play the games, we should just add up the stars & the offers.

It's an imperfect system that proves itself to be extremely accurate year after year. Not to be catty, but you could add up roster stars and predict W/L records with relative precision. That's kind of the point I'm making and why we need to step up our recruiting, quickly. 

As far as unsafe..Typically NR prospects or 1 FBS offer prospects do not produce at this level with any kind of consistency. The coaching staff is banking on their developmental coaching which has proven to be a failing formula at UNT. Alllll of UNT's success over the course of the last 2 decades came after signing above our norm. I do not know why this is difficult for people to understand. I have said it on this site probably 200 times over the course of 5 years and people keep arguing it and the results keep remaining the same. 

If UNT wins 8+ games this year, I'll exit stage left on this topic. In the meantime, it needs to be hammered home. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Ben, if the stars & offers system is so damn perfect how come we're continuously hearing about all the three-star players leaving their P5 program & enrolling at Sam Houston State?

Your 'perfect' system ignores how well a kid fits a system and it certainly ignores other important factors such as academics & character.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 8

Congrats to all. He has one of the better videos that I have seen. I also believe that has a big advantage being a coaches son and running the same offense! If he can achieve this season with what he did last year there will be other offers! Hold on to this kid! GMG 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GTWT said:

Ben, if the stars & offers system is so damn perfect how come we're continuously hearing about all the three-star players leaving their P5 program & enrolling at Sam Houston State?

Your 'perfect' system ignores how well a kid fits a system and it certainly ignores other important factors such as academics & character.

Go cross analyze in 2 different tabs -- team star total and team ranking from 1 to 127 over the last however many years you want. It tells a tale. If you don't agree with it, I get it. If I were a green kool aid drinking, eyes wide shut diehard UNT alum I wouldn't want to agree with me either. I don't like what it is and where we stand and I wish it would change. But I'm not going to passively ignore or overlook recruiting metrics that are extremely accurate just because it doesn't show itself to be favorable for our program. We need to improve in this area and improve quickly, and that's not even up for debate. 

And 3 star players are stacked at P5 programs. Not all of them can play. They probably go FCS because they get to play immediately rather than having to sit out, or it's close to home, or whatever reason you want to create. Not sure what narrative that really fits anyway. 

And it's not that it's perfect, but it's the best system and shows itself to be accurate. If you want to dive into it more, be my guest. Go look at all 10 FBS conference recruiting classes over the last 3-4 years. It's almost a concrete guarantee that the top 5 recruiting class avg in each conference over the span of those years are finishing in the top 5 in standings each year and of course vice versa. We at UNT are currently the vice versa. There are limited outliers to this, but the averages hold steady. Not sure what to tell you. The facts are the facts. I didn't create them or write them, I'm just telling you about them. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, GTWT said:

Well, I'll put it this way. If we had 25 3* commits and sign I can say without question we would be better than only getting the 2-3  3* a year what we've been getting since I can remember.

Edited by p_phelps
  • Upvote 3

Two ways to be good at recruiting: be better at selling or be better at choosing. Right now, Seth is opting to go the be better at choosing route. Neither way is easy.

We can whine all day that we aren't winning recruiting batttles, but Seth's first season was a success. And as long as he keeps succeeding then I will give him the benefit of the doubt on recruiting. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I really think Brett should have left is out of the article. It's almost like complementing and then cutting us down at the same time 

Brett's job is to report the news.  Not make UNT football look as good as possible.   I believe you're looking for this link:
http://www.meangreensports.com/

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, GTWT said:

If you were young Mr. Martin how would you read it?

I don't have any perspective on this, but I don't think he 1) would gave two craps about this forum (no offense, but he's 18 and also would know better as a QB), and B) would give two craps about negative stuff being said about him, football-wise.

As any kind of athlete, you're taught to focus.

I don't think he cares about what old men talking about teenagers have to say.

Edited by Aldo

I trust Coach Harrell on this.  Admittedly, it's almost impossible to believe that Martin, in his first year as a starter, threw for nearly 3,500 yards and 46 touchdowns while earning Greater Houston Newcomer of the Year without receiving one FBS offer.  

Bottom line...if Graham's evaluation is correct, I believe that we've found a hidden jewel.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 6