Dallas News: Best in Texas Stadiums

3 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

You are correct.  Game day experience is not "the best stadium"  Wrigley Field and Fenway are great game day experiences, but the stadiums are awful!!!!

What?! They are the last remaining true ballparks. It's what makes them so great. They are my favorite 2 MLB venues I have been to. 

Ford is fine, the Alamodome is awful.   UT and A&M's stadiums are massive, not nice.  Have not seen TCU's since it has been renovated.    Baylor's McLane looks great from the outside.  Been years since I was in Tech's stadium.   Rice and UTSA would both be better served with another venue.  

This survey like all such is just to get their web traffic up.   Apogee is as good as I ever been in to watch a game, is not that the main purpose of a stadium?  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

You are correct.  Game day experience is not "the best stadium"  Wrigley Field and Fenway are great game day experiences, but the stadiums are awful!!!!

Easy there.  That is heresy to a baseball fan.  :)

4 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Ford is fine, the Alamodome is awful.   UT and A&M's stadiums are massive, not nice.  Have not seen TCU's since it has been renovated.    Baylor's McLane looks great from the outside.  Been years since I was in Tech's stadium.   Rice and UTSA would both be better served with another venue.  

This survey like all such is just to get their web traffic up.   Apogee is as good as I ever been in to watch a game, is not that the main purpose of a stadium?  

Kyle Field is beautiful after the remodel. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Ford's seating is great, but as many have stated, the concourse is horrible.

Kyle Field is massive, but the Aggie cult make it pretty unique.

UT-DKR Memorial is also massive but nothing really memorable.

Always was a fan of TCU's stadium.

McLane is in a great setting and I don't think they spared any expense.

Tech has really upgraded Jones over the past few years.

Houston's looks nice, but haven't been there.  Kind of reminds me of UCF's aluminum stadium but with a nice view of the Houston skyline.  Not sure what that has to do with watching a game.

Really love Apogee, but I am a homer.

The Alamodome reminds me of a giant cavern.

Edited by UNTLifer

11 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

1.) Kyle Field

2.) DKR

3.) Amon Carter

4.) Jones stadium

5.) McLane Stadium

6.) TDECU 

7.) Sun Bowl

8.) Apogee--only because of its small size

9.) Ford

10.) Rice Stadium

11.) Whatever Texas State calls its stadium

12.) Kentucky Fried Chicken Bucket-dome

Have you been to TDECU?? It's a bit underwhelming and mostly an erector set stadium.

1.) Kyle

2.) McLane Stadium

3.) DKR

4.) Amon Carter

5.) Sun Bowl 

6.) Apogee 

7.) Texas State

8.) TDECU

9.) Jones

10.) Rice

11.) Ford

12.) Alamodome

30 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

What?! They are the last remaining true ballparks. It's what makes them so great. They are my favorite 2 MLB venues I have been to. 

Don't get me wrong...I love going to both stadiums for games.  The Whole experience is electrifying....however, the stadiums by themselves are old, ugly, and not comfortable.....  With that said, I will go to a game at either facility any time I can....

19 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Easy there.  That is heresy to a baseball fan.  :)

(cut and paste from another comment)...Don't get me wrong...I love going to both stadiums for games.  The Whole experience is electrifying....however, the stadiums by themselves are old, ugly, and not comfortable.....  With that said, I will go to a game at either facility any time I can....

I've never really had much issue with the Alamodome...I mean look at the very least you never have to worry about any kind of weather factor and everything is climate controlled.  In general I can't say I am over critical about any stadium/arena/park etc. 

I love Apogee...it's beautiful as hell and yes I am biased but any outsider that I've brought to the stadium agrees with me and says it's a real jewel.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

When was the last time you went to Kyle Field? It's top notch since the remodel/expansion. 

Been going to Kyle field since my high school days when it sat 33,000 and the Corps was all men.  (O.K., I'm ancient).  I'm partial to Kyle Field of the past, not the present.  Took one of my two Aggie daughters to a  game a few years ago when Kyle was about 95-90% complete.  It's just a typically big SEC('Bama type) stadium now that I don't care for.  But they do pack them in on game days and it's hard to beat the Aggie game experience.

I don't know if I was entirely aware that Houston had built a new stadium.  Looking at the picture on its wiki page, I just see big, but no character:

1920px-TDECU_Stadium,_empty_interior.jpg

The part I can't wrap my head around is that it has only 25% more capacity than Apogee, but looks significantly larger than that from pictures I can find.  

But my main impression (from pictures, I haven't been there, no opinion on gameday experience) is just stacked aluminum bowl slightly more attractive than the old Fouts endzone seats. 

4 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

I don't know if I was entirely aware that Houston had built a new stadium.  Looking at the picture on its wiki page, I just see big, but no character:

1920px-TDECU_Stadium,_empty_interior.jpg

The part I can't wrap my head around is that it has only 25% more capacity than Apogee, but looks significantly larger than that from pictures I can find.  

But my main impression (from pictures, I haven't been there, no opinion on gameday experience) is just stacked aluminum bowl slightly more attractive than the old Fouts endzone seats. 

In a crime ridden part of Houston to boot.

• Downvote 2

On 6/19/2017 at 10:59 AM, Green Mean said:

I've never really had much issue with the Alamodome...I mean look at the very least you never have to worry about any kind of weather factor and everything is climate controlled.  In general I can't say I am over critical about any stadium/arena/park etc. 

I love Apogee...it's beautiful as hell and yes I am biased but any outsider that I've brought to the stadium agrees with me and says it's a real jewel.

Perfectly stated.  I like football.  Just about any place I can watch live football is a place I tend to like.  So I'm predisposed to  being fond of most any football stadium.

My absolute favorite stadium was the old Amon Carter, before the remodel.  That place had a perfect amount of old school charm and a very interesting slope to the structure/stands that allowed you to see the entire crowd in front of you, kept noise in and provided sightlines as good or better than Apogee (especially from high up).  The Cotton bowl has a similar steep slope to it, but it's so cramped that it's distracting.  Take out the built-in seats and replace with benches with backs (ala Ford) and that place would be special.  OU has a solid large stadium that produces a lot of sound and has mostly good sightlines (though there are always going to be areas with bad sightlines in stadiums that large).  Also, I tend to give extra points to places with either outright abominations for restrooms or really nice large clean ones.  Pissing on the wall or troughs of old Fouts was fantastic, but so are the futuristic super clean restrooms at AT&T Cowboys Stadium...

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

Yet the FBI disagrees with you on the original point. Stay focused young one. 

http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-post/the-fbis-list-of-the-most-dangerous-cities-in-texas/

Mom, meatloaf...

I don't know how accurate that article is regarding crime rate/murder in Austin.  I moved to the Hill Country almost four years ago and have been shocked at what goes on in Austin, Texas.  There is not a night that goes by that the news doesn't report someone getting killed, run over, etc.  Not all of it is murder, but Austin is a dangerous city from my perspective.  Not what it was 30+ years ago.  I hate going to Austin.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UNTexas said:

Yet the FBI disagrees with you on the original point. Stay focused young one. 

http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-post/the-fbis-list-of-the-most-dangerous-cities-in-texas/

Mom, meatloaf...

Not to take up for that guy, but he didn't offer a counter to the original point.    
He's rubbing in the fact that players would look past the awful placement of the school in order to play there over playing in Denton, a much better college town, at UNT.

• Upvote 1