DRC: Losing Gage a blow for UNT

Brett Vito

On 6/12/2017 at 10:31 AM, El Paso Eagle said:
2 hours ago, Cerebus said:

It's important to remember this.

I see a lot of people gripe about a player backing out of a verbal, but every year we have players who get their ships pulled and no one seems to fund that problematic.  

Hate the loss, but IMO this young man seems more about the "Me" than the "Team". And before you comment, I understand about the kids deserving the "recruiting experience". I just believe when you commit it should be when you're sure, just as I do not believe a school should make an offer if they are not going to honor.

@Harry we don't announce when a kid gives a verbal commitment as that would be against the rules. They generally do the area code tweet to build some hype/momentum but actual verbals are announced by the kids or high schools via twitter or to the recruiting services. 

14 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

@Harry we don't announce when a kid gives a verbal commitment as that would be against the rules. They generally do the area code tweet to build some hype/momentum but actual verbals are announced by the kids or high schools via twitter or to the recruiting services. 

I know that.  My point is perhaps we hold off on offering and closing early in some cases.

The early commit while possibly building program momentum also puts a huge target on said recruits back.  It's imperative that we are very secure that we expect to hold on to an high rated recruit we land early.  

Here's a quote from an article I will link:

“If someone can force you to make a decision, it’s very easy for another person to come in and make you change your mind about what you just did.”

http://www.hookem.com/story/charlie-strong-explains-slow-approach-to-texas-recruiting/

5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

A asked this in another post and am not sure if anyone saw it, or if nobody cares, but do these kids decommit via twitter or do they pick up the phone and call the coach?

I would think out of respect that the recruit would text the staff member that he is in connect with, if that is the coach that is assigned to his region or if its the position coach. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Most of these kids don't know they are pawns.  Yes, some schools "show interest," but it's normally to prod some other higher up recruit to commit.  Texas Tech got their higher up WR commit, so they don't need Gage anymore.  Colorado returns its five leading receivers, so they can toy with Gage all they want, but they don't really "need" him.

The problem for us is the vicious cycle:  you have to win to recruit well; but, to win consistently, you have to have great recruits.

Few have really broken the cycle.  Bill Snyder did it at Kansas State.  A series of coaches has done it a Houston, beginning with Art Briles.  Gary Barnett did it at Northwestern for a while. 

Other than that, you don't really have any huge stories of perennial losers being turned into perennial winners. 

It's a tough nut to crack, for sure.

The best thing a tweener recruit like Gage can hope for is something like happened to this Colorado commit:  http://247sports.com/player/josh-jynes-91904

A two-star recruit from Texas, Jynes had two FCS schools offer him in 2016.  In January of this year, Colorado offered.  A week later, UTSA offered.  The first week of March, Rice offered.  He committed to CU, his best available offer in April.  Last week of May, West Virginia offered.  

Gage, perhaps, tried to use his commitment to us to build interest.  I never have no problem with that because the coaches also use the kids that way.  Tech and CU already played Gage.  He's now playing us.  If nothing bigger and better offers him, he'll be back.     

You hit the nail on the head!  Several coaches ask, who has offered him? My response is generally the same, do you think he's an _____ (FBS, FCS, D2 etc) athlete.  Then I'll tell them once they answer.  Too many schools offer after someone else does. Bowling Green is hands down the best at being first to offer kids.  In my few short years coaching, year in and out they offer first and kids blow up typically bringing in 3-8 more offers after they get BGSU offer. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I would think out of respect that the recruit would text the staff member that he is in connect with, if that is the coach that is assigned to his region or if its the position coach. 

Text and/or tweet is the easy way out.  Being respectful is making the call and telling them.

On 6/13/2017 at 5:34 PM, GMG24 said:

You hit the nail on the head!  Several coaches ask, who has offered him? My response is generally the same, do you think he's an _____ (FBS, FCS, D2 etc) athlete.  Then I'll tell them once they answer.  Too many schools offer after someone else does. Bowling Green is hands down the best at being first to offer kids.  In my few short years coaching, year in and out they offer first and kids blow up typically bringing in 3-8 more offers after they get BGSU offer. 

My first wife's younger brother had a friend who was an OL at Plano East back in the mid-to-late 1990s. Texas Tech strung him along to the end.  He stopped talking to other schools because he was sure he was going to Tech.

Well, singing day rolled in and...nothing.  Nobody, Spike Dykes, assistants, no one called him.  Needless to say, no LOI was faxed (as things were done back then). 

Truth is he was a fall back all along, and he got played.  Unfortunately, he wasn't bright enough (nor were his parents) to keep contact with other schools.  I don't know what advice his coaches gave him.  But, I have to doubt his high school coach would have told him to shut down everyone just because Texas Tech sent him a weekly letter or gave him a weekly call.

Recruiting is a tough game.  These days, a kid gets offered, and its easier for other programs to pick up on it - kids twitter it out five minutes later! 

This kid Jyles who committed to Colorado.  Two-star, Texas prep athlete.  Got one FCS offer before the start of his junior year, and one right after.  Then, boom!  Colorado in January.  Then, it seems like everyone wakes up to the tune of West Virginia even coming in with an offer.

It's crazy.  I know you can tell who can play college football, and at what level.  I mean, the Men versus Boys guys are the FBS guys...and, they are few and far between. 

I respect you for what you do.  I've watched pro and Division I college football for so long that it's hard for me to sit through an entire high school football game.  The speed is so much different.  If there's a guy out there who is FBS ready, he's dominating a normal high school game, week in and week out.

We're in the part of Frisco where the neighborhood is split between Wakeland and Reedy.  And, I've got to be honest when I say, it does surprise me that some of the Wakeland kids have gotten FBS looks.  None surprised me more than Will Second scoring Arkansas and Florida State offers.  I don't think he even played a down at FSU.  We've go to a couple of Wakeland games a year, and I just never remember seeing any really dominant player for them.  I mean, so dominant that the other team just doesn't have an answer for him.

Anyway, there's a million recruiting stories, I know.  I'm just always of the opinion that very few guys who are FBS ready truly do "slip through the cracks."  These days, you've got so many people watching film beyond just coaches - recruiting services, kids posting their own stuff on youtube and hudl and whatnot. Plus, camp after camp after camp from the time they are in ninth grade on.  it just doesn't seem very likely that many true FBS ready kids get "missed." 

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 1