Antonio Gage Officially Decommits

For the life of me, I don't even know why we use words like commitment.  If these children aren't able to commit, they shouldn't use such words.  They should use words like "my fav" or, "my top ten."

Children should not be expected to make adult decisions.

ALL ABOUT UNT is right.  This is the last we will hear from this youngster.  Move on.  There's nothing to see here. 

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

For the life of me, I don't even know why we use words like commitment.  If these children aren't able to commit, they shouldn't use such words.  They should use words like "my fav" or, "my top ten."

There's a very specific reason why that is. It's because the word "commitment" typically holds their spot in a class. And when schools are limited to 25 spots, often have less like in our case because of blueshirts, and will only sign a set number at their position, and push for commitments earlier than they ever have each year, this is the result. 

Kids aren't just born inherently less men of their words than kids who were recruited in the 70s and 80s. The difference is, for those kids the recruiting process didn't really start until after their senior year was over and signing day was a month or two away. There wasn't time for decommitments. Now even G5 schools push for commitments during a recruit's junior year. 

Like you alluded to, these kids are often too immature to really make a decision like this (as if 18 year olds are much better in that regard). Plus, when you get this far out, there are more variables that factor into this decision which can change (i.e. Family situations, coaching changes, other offers, prospective major, etc.). This is how it's going to be as long as coaches recruit as early as they do, and they kind of have to or they'd get left behind. That's where we are now.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

something else we have to factor.  We are currently ranked #3 in CUSA in recruiting but look at our average recruit rating http://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=C-USA and compare it with other schools that might not have "as many" recruits as we do but we all know that they will sign people.

2 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

I am not trying to bash him in anyway, but I don't think he fits the locker room culture Seth is trying to build. 

How do you make this kind of evaluation without actually knowing the person, and knowing our locker room culture?

Not trying to bash you.  You may have tons of insight into the program that I had not gathered about you before.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, greenminer said:

How do you make this kind of evaluation without actually knowing the person, and knowing our locker room culture?

Not trying to bash you.  You may have tons of insight into the program that I had not gathered about you before.

I don't think he's making this statement based on knowing Gage personally. I think this statement is based of his inability to be a man of his word. 

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, cdizzle86 said:

I don't think he's making this statement based on knowing Gage personally. I think this statement is based of his inability to be a man of his word. 

I would also state that his actions speak loudly, or his tweets on Twitter.  He is probably the BMOC at Madison and has a "big personality."  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, All About UNT said:

something else we have to factor.  We are currently ranked #3 in CUSA in recruiting but look at our average recruit rating http://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=C-USA and compare it with other schools that might not have "as many" recruits as we do but we all know that they will sign people.

Shhh. Don't say that too loud.

The "Seth Littrell Farts rainbows and poops gold" crowd might hear you. Now there's no excuse. Here's where we truly see if Littrell and Co. can recruit, or if we're gonna continue signing guys that only have FCS offers because we can't beat out any other FBS schools.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 8

Lol at all of you taking shots at this guy's character like you wouldn't/haven't done the same things in your life (looking out for what's best for YOU).    
What if he happens to re-commit later on (because no-doubt, coach Brown will likely still be working on him)?   I suppose y'all will pour on an extra helping of character-disses since he'll be 'waffling'.

• Upvote 1

Sorry to see this, but I want players who really want to play for North Texas and see it as a great place and a great program...no matter what "star" ranking some folks "think" they might be with regard to talent.  If young Mr. Gage is not "committed", then best he move on.  Perhaps before it is all over he will see UNT for the program that it is and can be and sign with the Mean Green.  Right now, folks are probably telling him that he could be the next Dez Bryant or Antonio Brown or Odell Beckham if he just goes to a "higher profile" program.  And, he is believing them.  Can't blame the kid for opening up his options, and I wish him well in his pursuit.  We'll see where he suits up...perhaps still in Mean Green green!

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2