DRC: Breaking -- Two blue shirt recruits no longer in UNT's plans

Brett Vito

Maybe that's why they didn't get many FBS offers and Littrell took a chance? 

Could possibly open the door for other blue shirt help, or we could save the scholarships they would take for the 2018 class. I think our depth at the DL is fairly stable so I don't think it hurts us too badly

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, outoftown said:

There were more than a 1000 players at camp today? Wow. Then again, was it smart to let Oklahoma and Oregon attend. I mean yes, this will bring more players but it also means that if there is a diamond in the rough, they will snap him up.

Not sure how the schools split up the $ in terms of OU, ORE, and Rice getting it but that is a very nice and solid amount of income for 4 hours of work for the coaches. 

1 minute ago, MGNation92 said:

Maybe that's why they didn't get many FBS offers and Littrell took a chance? 

Could possibly open the door for other blue shirt help, or we could save the scholarships they would take for the 2018 class. I think our depth at the DL is fairly stable so I don't think it hurts us too badly

Agreed it shouldn't hurt this year but Tibbs looked good on his tape. hopefully he can work it out at a JUCO. 

Problem is in a 1 or 2 years when we lose some of the guys we have now. Having King and Tibbs come in and RS would have given them a year in the weight room and scheme. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, outoftown said:

There were more than a 1000 players at camp today? Wow. Then again, was it smart to let Oklahoma and Oregon attend. I mean yes, this will bring more players but it also means that if there is a diamond in the rough, they will snap him up.

Yes, we got kids on our campus that would have never come otherwise.  This was nothing but a positive thing for our school! 

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Not sure how the schools split up the $ in terms of OU, ORE, and Rice getting it but that is a very nice and solid amount of income for 4 hours of work for the coaches. 

Agreed it shouldn't hurt this year but Tibbs looked good on his tape. hopefully he can work it out at a JUCO. 

Problem is in a 1 or 2 years when we lose some of the guys we have now. Having King and Tibbs come in and RS would have given them a year in the weight room and scheme. 

We get all the $ it is our camp, no splitting it.  800 kids times 40/50 bucks a pop if they were late registration. 

• Upvote 5

40 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Yes, we got kids on our campus that would have never come otherwise.  This was nothing but a positive thing for our school! 

We get all the $ it is our camp, no splitting it.  800 kids times 40/50 bucks a pop if they were late registration. 

Impressive, I would have figured OU/ORE would want a cut of it. 

Hopefully UNT will keep this up.

-----------------------

Also, since the post is about the 2 blue-shirts. Do we have any idea whatever happened to the DL kid that we had interest in from Washington? Dobbs, I think his last name was and his parents or someone joined the board I thought?

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

-----------------------

Also, since the post is about the 2 blue-shirts. Do we have any idea whatever happened to the DL kid that we had interest in from Washington? Dobbs, I think his last name was and his parents or someone joined the board I thought?

Dobbs went to a lower level FCS or Juco program. I remember the announcement on twitter. I know he visited here but I don't think our staff put forth any sort of offer, blue shirt or otherwise.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

With us losing Tibbs and King, 

Does anyone else recall who all we had as Blueshirts?

I know the OL from LD Bell, but does anyone else recall who else?

Jordan Roberts

Hunter Gieser

Punter Austin Mcgehee was as well, but it sounds like he is no longer in the fold.

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Jordan Roberts

Hunter Gieser

Punter Austin Mcgehee was as well, but it sounds like he is no longer in the fold.

Okay thanks for that, i was trying to find a thread, I thought we had them listed..

So we have the LD Bell kid, Roberts from OK, and we did pick up that K/P recently as well.  So I'm guessing that we could go out and pick up 2 or 3 more "blue-shirts" if anything?

1 hour ago, Caw Caw said:

Dobbs went to a lower level FCS or Juco program. I remember the announcement on twitter. I know he visited here but I don't think our staff put forth any sort of offer, blue shirt or otherwise.

Ahh thanks, had lost track of him and figured it he hadn't gotten anything maybe the staff would try and contact him with this news. 

• Upvote 1

Here was the list at one time, but McGeeHee, Geiser, King, and Tibbs no longer seem to be in the plans and have been replaced with new names:

Possible blushirt or PWO recruits that have indicated they 'signed' with UNT

Blue Shirts

Austin McGehee - 6-2 215 P/K Fullerton College
Brendon Weatherspoon - 6-4 305 OG LD Bell
Hunter Geiser - 6-4 220 TE/DE Southwest Christian
Junius King - 6-1 302 DT Mesquite Horn
Devon Tibbs - 6-3 252 DT Houston Lamar
Jordan Roberts - 6-0 160 CB Ardmore

PWOs

Justin Cain - 6-0 170 WR/FS Woodrow Wilson
Ryan Bishop - 5-11 191 LB Allen
Devlin Isadore - 6-4 205 QB Navarro

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

-----------------------

I don't think they would demand a cut. It is advantageous enough for them to come into the region and be able to get to see and talk too that impressive a number of players. I would assume getting to Denton and working this thing is in their recruiting budget. If they start asking for a cut, you can always bring in someone else the next year. Also, I doubt that the money is that great for UNT. There are expenses too for this thing.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

So I guess we let Rice participate in exchange for them letting us participate in their Houston-based camp?

From Vito's blog post regarding the number of attendees at the camp

""We really wanted to give kids an opportunity to showcase their skills to a lot of schools," UNT director of recruiting David Stenklyft said. "The four of us that got together are very different. Even though we are in the same conference with Rice, we recruit a lot of different kids even though we also recruit some of the same players. We had a chance to bring a bunch of kids here to evaluate them. It was a great turnout and ran smoothly."

**Would have been a great opportunity to run "The Stand" on a continuous loop on the scoreboard.** 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Only thing I would have liked to see was offensive players in green shirt and defense in white.  According to different parents ATM camp was only one who did this but said it made it easier to find kids etc.  said UTSA ran 7 on 7 at theirs and everyone was in same color shirts. 

Edited by GMG24

7 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

Here was the list at one time, but McGeeHee, Geiser, King, and Tibbs no longer seem to be in the plans and have been replaced with new names:

Possible blushirt or PWO recruits that have indicated they 'signed' with UNT

Blue Shirts

Austin McGehee - 6-2 215 P/K Fullerton College
Brendon Weatherspoon - 6-4 305 OG LD Bell
Hunter Geiser - 6-4 220 TE/DE Southwest Christian
Junius King - 6-1 302 DT Mesquite Horn
Devon Tibbs - 6-3 252 DT Houston Lamar
Jordan Roberts - 6-0 160 CB Ardmore

PWOs

Justin Cain - 6-0 170 WR/FS Woodrow Wilson
Ryan Bishop - 5-11 191 LB Allen
Devlin Isadore - 6-4 205 QB Navarro

Thank you, I thought we had something like this in a signing day post.

I McGehee was replace by the JUCO Kicker from Kilgore College      https://twitter.com/Alvin_Kenworthy

Isadore I think would be likely to get a scholarship in the fall, so that would open up 2 or 3 scholarship for late adds like Wyche, Jenkins and Peters last year. Hopefully more guys like Jenkins tho

3 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Thank you, I thought we had something like this in a signing day post.

I McGehee was replace by the JUCO Kicker from Kilgore College      https://twitter.com/Alvin_Kenworthy

Isadore I think would be likely to get a scholarship in the fall, so that would open up 2 or 3 scholarship for late adds like Wyche, Jenkins and Peters last year. Hopefully more guys like Jenkins tho

No.  Isadore needs to stay on pwo save ships for HS players and build the program.  SMU is on the verge of having an entire team from TX.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, GMG24 said:

No.  Isadore needs to stay on pwo save ships for HS players and build the program.  SMU is on the verge of having an entire team from TX.

I would love for him to stay as a PWO, but figured maybe the staff would offer him a delayed scholarship if he showed he was healthy is all. 

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I would love for him to stay as a PWO, but figured maybe the staff would offer him a delayed scholarship if he showed he was healthy is all. 

Yeah, I don't see a need to.  He's here he ain't going anywhere. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1