DRC: A look back at the top five receivers in UNT history

Brett Vito

I really don't have any problem with this list. Although I'm a bit surprised that the often forgotten/overlooked Barry Moore made it. I'm also glad that the poster child for ever-hopeful walk-ons, Casey Fitzgerald, got an honorable mention.

Marcus Camper and Pete Harvey deserve an honorable mention as well.

Good list, but the reason for not placing Fitzgerald in the Top 5 is hollow to me.  That was the offense that we ran at that time.  Ahead or behind, Dodge would have been chunking it all over the field.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Brett Vito said:

DRC: Shanklin leads the pack, Fitzgerald falls out of top five due to stats racked up in blowout losses

http://beta.dentonrc.com/sports/mean-green/2017/06/07/looking-back-greatest-wide-receivers-unt-history

What was he supposed to do? Not catch passes? That's not a good reason.

Should we kick out Johnny Quinn's 2005 season?

• Upvote 1

I'm not too familiar with the guys from the 60's, but Chancellor and Fitzgerald were pretty salty.  Frankly, I'm shocked that Brelan isn't on the list.  Maybe because a lot of his greatness was as a return guy, but in my opinion, he's one of the best players in UNT history regardless of position.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Aldo said:

What was he supposed to do? Not catch passes? That's not a good reason.

Should we kick out Johnny Quinn's 2005 season?

Exactly. Fitzgerald was outstanding. (although hard to figure who you drop from that list)

Leaving out Fitzgerald for reasons outside of his control is pretty lame. He doesn't call the plays, he doesn't play or coach the defense. If the numbers stack, the numbers stack.

8 hours ago, NT93 said:

I'm not too familiar with the guys from the 60's, but Chancellor and Fitzgerald were pretty salty.  Frankly, I'm shocked that Brelan isn't on the list.  Maybe because a lot of his greatness was as a return guy, but in my opinion, he's one of the best players in UNT history regardless of position.

It kills me that he didn't go pro. He's a special kind of elusive.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

It seems like if you played during the Dodge era Vito is holding that against you. It was basically his reasoning for not putting Dunbar as the #1 RB and for keeping Casey out of the top 5 WRs.

What?  Brett Vito hold a grudge?  Blasphemy!