Breaking! Bob stoops is retiring.

Corby just said that people have known about it for most of the day but it wasn't leaked out and said this has to do with health issues that he's having in his heart per rumors.  SL can get more as an OC assuming he was recruited to do it but everyone knows that the ultimate goal is being a HC.  I don't see how anyone would go from a HC to a coordinator position when SL is even considered a good young and up and comer.

• Upvote 2

Didn't consider the offensive coordinator position going to Seth, but it's definitely possible. My immediate reaction though was that he may quite possibly be the next head coach at OU if Lincoln Riley doesn't pan out or leaves. That could happen with him staying here and doing well or having success as their offensive coordinator, either way. Interesting situation to watch develop. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, El Paso Eagle said:

Hypothetical on a slow day... If Seth were to leave what would UNT do? Interim HC for the year or bring in a new HC?

Maybe a current coach as interim and see what happens. Would be pretty disruptive to hire a new coach who brought in his own staff and changed the system after one 1 year with SL. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Makes you wonder .... did someone know this was in the pipeline and redo Seth's contract????

Very possible. These AD's all talk and SL was down for it because either way he'd be set. I'm getting pretty nervous the more I think about it. It would be perfect for both parties and him and Riley are buds if I remember correctly. 

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Didn't consider the offensive coordinator position going to Seth, but it's definitely possible. My immediate reaction though was that he may quite possibly be the next head coach at OU if Lincoln Riley doesn't pan out or leaves. That could happen with him staying here and doing well or having success as their offensive coordinator, either way. Interesting situation to watch develop. 

This seems more plausible.

• Downvote 1

Lincoln Riley was making 1.3 million as the offensive coordinator this year. They might even bump that and Seth could get at least a 500k raise if he took the position. Would be hard to turn down an opportunity to return to your alma mater in any capacity considering the pay, even if you do want to be a head coach. 

SL  was an OC for UNC when they were in the final four, why would he go backwards back to an OC? I know his alma mater but I can't see it at all. We will have to fight like hell to keep him when they look to get a perm HC though. 

• Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

SL  was an OC for UNC when they were in the final four, why would he go backwards back to an OC? I know his alma mater but I can't see it at all. We will have to fight like hell to keep him when they look to get a perm HC though. 

He was an offensive assistance or some title like that, officially. Yes he called plays there. But he also made around 250k and as good as North Carolina was they aren't anything like OU to him. He could get a raise and looking at current situation they like to hire current offensive coordinators to be  future head coaches. Him and Riley go back and run the same offensive scheme as "Leach guys." This is all speculative at this point, but if Riley wants him it seems very plausible. 

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes

9 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

UNC never made the Final Four...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

UNC never made the Final Four...

Mybad, They lost to Clemson in the ACC championship when Clemson was #1. ( UNC probably should have won the game). My point is I don't think SL leaves for anything but another HC job unless we dont do well on the field. 

• Upvote 1

I can see how OU may have interest in SL, but I'm doubting they will pay 2M plus his salary (say like 1.5M) for him to come in as an OC. Riley was making 1.3 as an OC without the track record of success as an OC in P5 compared to SL who had done it at AZST, IU. UNC compared to just OU for Riley. I'm assuming also Riley is still very likely to call the plays. Riley has been a very hot candidate for other HC jobs, heck even before we brought in SL it was rumored Riley was the leading candidate till RV fumbled it.

I'm wondering though who would OU bring in on the staff. If they did bring in SL as an OC, it then puts pressure on to Riley because SL is the hometown guy, and has some success here at UNT as a HC. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few years. If Riley doesn't work out or magically leaves in a few years, OU is well aware of SL. 

The real question is, if SL leaves who replaces him this late/ early in the game? GH doesn't seem ready to take over as a full time HC and I'm assuming Reff is possibly viewed as the next guy if GH isn't because of him being D.C. Mainford going from outside WRs coachs to HC could also happen because of job titles, but that doesn't exactly fire up this fan base like SL had. 

My last question is and it hasn't been brought up, but with Stoops retiring not having to do with health, could it have something to do with possible violations? I believe OU has picked up multiple kids with some questionable pasts even after the Joe Mixon thing.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Green Mean said:

Corby just said that people have known about it for most of the day but it wasn't leaked out and said this has to do with health issues that he's having in his heart per rumors.  SL can get more as an OC assuming he was recruited to do it but everyone knows that the ultimate goal is being a HC.  I don't see how anyone would go from a HC to a coordinator position when SL is even considered a good young and up and comer.

Another site said it wasn't health.  Also, on some OU boards they are saying Stoops recently bought a house in Chicago.  He's from Ohio.  Wonder if it's just family.

Or...just whatever sleaziness has been at OU for the past three years with Joe Mixon, Frank Shannon, Dorial Green-Beckham, and DeDe Westbrooks finally caught up to the school and Stoops is getting out of town before the sh*t hits the fan.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Another site said it wasn't health.  Also, on some OU boards they are saying Stoops recently bought a house in Chicago.  He's from Ohio.  Wonder if it's just family.

Or...just whatever sleaziness has been at OU for the past three years with Joe Mixon, Frank Shannon, Dorial Green-Beckham, and DeDe Westbrooks finally caught up to the school and Stoops is getting out of town before the sh*t hits the fan.

Don't forget about Dusty Dvoracek, either...

1 hour ago, Green Mean said:

Corby . . . said this has to do with health issues that he's having in his heart per rumors.  

"After 18 years at the University of Oklahoma, I've decided to step down as the head football coach. I understand there has been some speculation about my health. My health was not the deciding factor in this decision and I've had no incidents that would prevent me from coaching," Stoops said in a school release.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Very possible. These AD's all talk and SL was down for it because either way he'd be set. I'm getting pretty nervous the more I think about it. It would be perfect for both parties and him and Riley are buds if I remember correctly. 

Outside of coaching together at Tech over ten years ago, what makes you assume they are "buds?"

Edited by UNTLifer

43 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Wow.  He and OU handled his retirement the same way they handled the Mixon, Green-Beckham, Westbrook, and Shannon situations:  through press releases.

Is Bob Stoops just not smart enough to simply stand up and face reporters who might ask him something other than, "Why'd ya'll run that play, Bob?" "Wow, great game, Bob. you must really be proud of the players.  Talk about them!"

Amazing.