Breaking! Bob stoops is retiring.

Yes, it's possible Seth could go back to OU as the OC. Yes, OU did just promote their OC to be head coach. But, Stoops was there for 17 years as HC. Lincoln only arrived in 2015 as the OC. I don't see Seth wanting the hang around until the 33 year old Riley is ready to retire. And if Riley ends up fired, generally coaches on staff are let go. 

From what I've read, I've gotten the impression head coach OU was Seth's dream job. But now that job is unavailable for several years at least. If Seth's career goal is to be a head coach at a P5 school, I think building a NT team is going to earn more notice than being the OC even at a National Champion team. He already has the P5 OC box checked. 

Now, an extra half million a year is a lot and might make the difference. But my thought right now is this gives us a better chance of keeping Seth for four or five years. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Don't forget about Dusty Dvoracek, either...

Lynn McGruder.  Kicked out of Tennessee for dealing drugs in the dorms.  Stoops gave him a scholie.

Austin Box.  Overdose on pain killers after back surgery and continuing to play under Stoops.

Football chaplain for OU caught selling drugs:  http://newsok.com/article/5357432

Forget it...there's been too much to keep up with up there.  Lots of drug arrests once you start to google it.  Former players in armed robberies and prostitution stings.  All guys Stoops signed.

Not shocking.  OU's as dirty as any big program.  For years, the media up there helped keep most of it swept under the rug.  I think the Mixon situation, though, soured the relationship between the local and state press up there and the OU athletic department. 

Suddenly, OU was making the local and state media go to court to sue for information in the Mixon case, simply not answering questions and stonewalling on that and others, and finally just going to press releases so that no one would have to face the press. 

They were helped along, of course, by the local judge who was a graduate of OU Law.  Probably took courses from Boren.  Yet, he didn't recuse.  Wonder why not?  I bet a check of his bank account would go pretty far in answering that.  Lots of OU donors, like other big school donors, do open the check books to keep the law in order.

These three coward David Boren, Joe Castiglione, and Bob Stoops, though, put Mixon in front of reporters in December once the video came out.  Not OU President  Boren.  Not athletic director Castiglione.  Not head coach Stoops.  None of those three cowards would face the press to explain why they'd simply let Mixon redshirt a year for breaking a girl's face.  They had Mixon read a statement then field questions for a few minutes.

Those guys stonewalled everyone for three years, then threw the kid up there in the end.  What a group they have up there in Norman.

• Upvote 1

If offered the OC job at Oklahoma SL would have a tough decision on his hands...

Win at North Texas and never sniff a national title because the conference he coaches in just isn't strong enough...or win at OU and never sniff a national title because the conference he coaches in just isn't strong enough

• Upvote 6

I could easily see Seth Littrell taking the OC position at Oklahoma.  It's all about the Benjamin$ people!  OU could easily buy out his UNT contract and pay Seth as OC more than double what he was set to make at NT head football coach.  OU just got a $36+ million distribution check from the Big 12.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I highly doubt that OU is going to go after Littrell at any position.  However, just look at the renewed contract it very clearly points out LIttrell's game plan and it is not to leave in the next two years.  I don't think he wants to go to OU and set behind another young coach.   It certainly could be that Littrell or his agent used this information to get a better deal out of NT.   That is good negotiation on their part.    

Don't forget their choirboy heisman candidate quarterback that got caught running from the cops. Rest assured if that had been Manziel the media would still be talking about it. Mayfield makes a weak speech and bang, back to starting quarterback without penalty.

I just have this gut feeling that Seth will be sticking around. And even if he didn't, we're in a pretty good position. Although, I would've maybe bumped up the buyout fee if another school nabs him. $2 million is something, but not a whole lot in the grand scheme of things.

• Upvote 1

I am shocked that there is this much concern about SL and OU right now.    I would understand if they offered SL the HC position.  But OC ?  I am just thankful that Riley was named HC right away, or this place might be going nuts.

Lincoln Riley made $905k last year in guaranteed cash as 2nd in command (one of them).  SL is looking at about a million a year here.  Why in the world would SL give up being THE man at that salary, to become 2nd in command at OU.  

If SL has UNT consistently competitive in the next few years, he will rake it in as a HC for a P5 program soon enough. I refuse to get worked up about this.

Am I really missing something ?   I just don't get the concern. 

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 4

I think we Mean Green fans have the best seat in then house.  Seth will continue to push like never before to be a must hire if ou stumbles a bit.  We reap the benefits and imagine getting good ole UNT to a big six bowl.  Smu plays in Frisco and the Mean Green in Jerryworld.  Ou is right up the street.  Work your magic here SL and the pot of gold is yours!

GMG

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Hypothetical on a slow day... If Seth were to leave what would UNT do? Interim HC for the year or bring in a new HC?

Reffett interim hire end of season

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Didn't consider the offensive coordinator position going to Seth, but it's definitely possible. My immediate reaction though was that he may quite possibly be the next head coach at OU if Lincoln Riley doesn't pan out or leaves. That could happen with him staying here and doing well or having success as their offensive coordinator, either way. Interesting situation to watch develop. 

This is exactly what I though too. Its possible they look at SL for OC now, but I kind of doubt it as Riley is an offensive guy.

But beware if Riley dos not have a good season  UNT goes even 7-5, then we better start looking.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, outoftown said:

This is exactly what I though too. Its possible they look at SL for OC now, but I kind of doubt it as Riley is an offensive guy.

But beware if Riley dos not have a good season  UNT goes even 7-5, then we better start looking.

Not even a remote chance.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, outoftown said:

Which part? That UNT goes 7-5 or better? That Riley might have a bad season? Or that OU would go for the home town guy with a great OC record because he only has two years as a HC?

The later, he has to do better than 1 winning season to get that gig.  From what I've heard in coaching world. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

The later, he has to do better than 1 winning season to get that gig.  From what I've heard in coaching world. 

You never know when it is the home town boy. Remember Kingsburys CV when he got the crazy well paid T-Tech gig? If he goes 7-5 SL looks like a safe bet compared to that.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Don't forget their choirboy heisman candidate quarterback that got caught running from the cops. Rest assured if that had been Manziel the media would still be talking about it. Mayfield makes a weak speech and bang, back to starting quarterback without penalty.

ya know I don't have a dog in the fight but everything about Manziel and his family's personalities is what caused so many to root against him.  He was the epitome of cocky and his family is known in East Texas as being akin to mafia.  Comparing him with Mayfield is quite a stretch.  Not defending what Mayfield did with the police but Johnny "F*cking" Football was not really good at winning people over that weren't obsessed with the color maroon. 

34 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

ya know I don't have a dog in the fight but everything about Manziel and his family's personalities is what caused so many to root against him.  He was the epitome of cocky and his family is known in East Texas as being akin to mafia.  Comparing him with Mayfield is quite a stretch.  Not defending what Mayfield did with the police but Johnny "F*cking" Football was not really good at winning people over that weren't obsessed with the color maroon. 

East Texas?  Manziel and family are from Kerrville, Tx.  

• Upvote 2

Seth isn't going anywhere anytime soon. He's playing the long game.

He's all but stated that his dream job is head coach at OU. What incentive would he have for going there now just for a coordinator job? If he went now and took an OC job, and The Sooners spend the next three years crapping the bed under Lincoln Riley, then SL will be let go just like the rest of the staff, and his chances of becoming head coach at OU are out the door. These school only move coordinators up if a coach gets poached or retires, not if they're relieved of their duties. (Yes I know it happens sometimes but that is the exception to the rule).

Nobody, especially Power conference schools, hires head coaches who were their former coordinators from losing staffs that were let go. That'd be like us hiring Chico as the new head coach after SL leaves. 

Litrell has WAY WAY WAY more to lose by going to OU now as a coordinator than he does by busting his ass to win now as a smaller conference head coach and making his way up to bigger schools and waiting until it's his turn to be hired as head honcho at OU, having proven himself a successful head coach elsewhere and then returning home to take The Sooners to the promised land as the prodigal Son.

• Upvote 6