DRC: JUCO CB Kemon Hall talks about blue shirting at UNT

Brett Vito

I know this draws fire, but...another kid with no FBS offers except from us?  Is there a secret plan to join the Southland Conference that the power that be are keeping from us? 

Raveon Hoston eligible yet?  In Denton at all?  He had some FBS sniffs, at minimum, until grades and test scores.  Same story with this DB?  Or, was it always Jackson State, D II schools, and us?

Is this now our path:  don't gamble on probable academic casualties who may have FBS talent; instead, throw a lifeline to FCS/D II recruits and hope they pan out?

If this is the path, why are we paying the head coach more than Sam Houston State and SFA pay their head coaches?  If this is the path - recruiting FCS/D II guys - just go hire Sam Houston State's or SFA's coach. Put a little honesty into what we are trying to accomplish.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 9

35 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

I know this draws fire, but...another kid with no FBS offers except from us?  Is there a secret plan to join the Southland Conference that the power that be are keeping from us? 

Raveon Hoston eligible yet?  In Denton at all?  He had some FBS sniffs, at minimum, until grades and test scores.  Same story with this DB?  Or, was it always Jackson State, D II schools, and us?

Is this now our path:  don't gamble on probable academic casualties who may have FBS talent; instead, throw a lifeline to FCS/D II recruits and hope they pan out?

If this is the path, why are we paying the head coach more than Sam Houston State and SFA pay their head coaches?  If this is the path - recruiting FCS/D II guys - just go hire Sam Houston State's or SFA's coach. Put a little honesty into what we are trying to accomplish.

I think that part of it has to do with the fact that we're still below the scholarship cap. When every single scholarship matters you can't be as risky with possible non-qualifiers.

1 hour ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Again just could not wait to make a negative comment about a kid on a post congratulating him for coming to North Texas. Some crap never changes

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

When the recruiting changes....

See Cerebus' note above.  We don't care if you are unhappy with recruiting, just don't include it in the post announcing and welcoming a player to North Texas.  This can't be that difficult to figure out.

• Upvote 4

On 6/7/2017 at 3:33 PM, Cerebus said:

Stop negative commenting in a recruits post.  If you want to complain about recruiting make a separate post.  

On 6/7/2017 at 3:45 PM, UNTLifer said:

See Cerebus' note above.  We don't care if you are unhappy with recruiting, just don't include it in the post announcing and welcoming a player to North Texas.  This can't be that difficult to figure out.

Well why not?

We all know that how a recruit is received on a message board is key to the recruiting process.

Also those same kids are capable of looking at multiple threads about recruiting, so maybe the board should just ban any negative recruiting comments at all.

Or maybe a new section should be added called something like "Welcome to North Texas" were everyone praises the new recruits, and it makes it harder for their eyes to wonder to more critical comment. 

Rules should also be put in place for content.   For example citing an unimpressive list of schools offering should be banned because it makes it too obvious that the player was not higher sought.   Likewise no recruiting ratings under 3 stars should ever be mentioned, we all know 2 stars is as low as it can be.  Not Acceptable.

Of course, this can be slippery slope, you know coaches and administrators have feelings and families, don't want them to get them upset.

All game talk also has to be limited to those great plays and other items that could be on the highlight reel.  Or maybe any talk after a loss should be banned.  In this way we could aid the most maligned athlete at NT, a losing quarterback.  

Another great option is just make this an all membership board, were no one we want to shelter can read the comments or the offending negative parties can just be denied membership. 

Or just maybe, we should forget the censorship and assume an athlete old enough and tough enough to excel in sports and be awarded a college scholarship can handle some adverse comments.   

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

55 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Well why not?

I really don't have any problem with talking about the shortcomings of a recruit someone actually has knowledge of.  However, what is happening is people aren't talking about a recruit they are bad mouthing the coaches results.   I agree bad talking coaches results is something that is allowable, I do plenty of it myself.  However if that is what you are complaining about, go do it in a thread about the coaching staff.

Something along the lines of "I saw this kid play and his reads seemed slow" or "I watched his tape and he is going to have a lot harder time handling college defensive linemen unless his footwork gets better" is perfectly kosher.

Something along the lines of "I've never ever seen this kid before but I am mad the coaches are not offering people that aTm offered and I am going to gripe about it in this recruits thread" is not.  

55 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Or just maybe, we should forget the censorship and assume an athlete old enough and tough enough to excel in sports and be awarded a college scholarship can handle some adverse comments.   

Censorship?  The NSA is not monitoring our recruiting threads.  

It's not censorship if you as a private party agree to follow the rules of a club owned by another private party, in this case Harry.   

2 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Censorship?  The NSA is not monitoring our recruiting threads.  

It's not censorship if you as a private party agree to follow the rules of a club owned by another private party, in this case Harry.   

To deny anyone the ability to state their opinions is obviously censorship.  There are rules to prohibit personal attacks, obscene language etc.  This is censorship although in a form that most completely agree with.   

Yes, Harry can enact the rules he wants for his website.  Then everyone has the option of whether they want to participate or not.   What current rules are you referring to and how has anyone broke them relative to giving opinions on a specific recruit or recruiting in general?

I respect those that believe it is very inappropriate to sully a thread started to announce the commitment of a recruit and what should be a great moment for the player.   That is a very valid point of view.   However, the subject matter of all threads just like conversations go off in all kinds of directions.  A discussion of the state of recruiting to me is an obvious extension of these threads.   

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4