DRC: Top QB's in UNT History

UNTLifer

Scott Davis had some huge wins against power program schools at the time.  That said, I think those teams really struggled in conference games.

There are some others worth mentioning like Jordan Case, and Vidal Carlin

I think this is a pretty accurate list.  I believe that Derek Thompson earned his place in the UNT HOF with his senior year performance and winning the bowl game which was huge.  However, you could argue there are other UNT QB's who had more prolific careers.  I think if there was one on the list you could debate it would be Thompson and I would think a guy like Scott Davis might be worthy to share his spot in some particular regards.

There have been many discussion and debates on NT QB's on this site over the years, here is just just one:

Scott Davis should definitely be on the team in place of Thompson.  I like Thompson and was ecstatic that he proved all the doubters wrong with a great senior season.  However, he was never even an all conference performer.   Davis was at the helm for some of NT's biggest wins as a 1aa school and he did lead NT to two NCAA  1AA playoffs.   

Vidal Carlin also has to be on list.  A little before my time, but he IMO would edge out Hall in my opinion.  Hall was a great facilitator and deserves a lot of accolades. However, I believe if he had played on a lesser teams; he would not be in the conversation about the best QBs at NT.  

Ill go in order: Ramsey, Maher, Carlin, Washington and Davis.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/mean-green/2017/06/05/looking-back-five-greatest-quarterbacks-unt-history

Interesting list.  I might have to put Scott Davis in there, but I am not sure who I would have him replace.

That's easy for me.......Ken Washington. IMHO, one of the most overrated QB's to play at NT.  Besides Scott Davis, I'd take any number of guys over him.....including Jordan Case, Joe Stevenson, Dodge, and Giovanni Vizza. As I mentioned in another thread, Washington's overall QB rating was just below McNulty.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

That's easy for me.......Ken Washington. IMHO, one of the most overrated QB's to play at NT.  Besides Scott Davis, I'd take any number of guys over him.....including Jordan Case, Joe Stevenson, Dodge, and Giovanni Vizza. As I mentioned in another thread, Washington's overall QB rating was just below McNulty.

It is very easy to pan Washington's overall stats. because; he and NT had a terrible year his first season.    He was that year about the only threat that NT had, and frankly was running for his life most of the season.   So he had that in common with Vizza and Dodge his first year.   I think Vizza, Dodge and Meager were all much better QBs than they were allowed to show with very poor teams.    As for as McNulty, it is an example of how statistics can be misleading. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ttunt1970 said:

Vito needs do more research, but he's like all other journalists does the easy thing

Vidal Carlin was before Ramsey and set the stage for Ramsey although he just played 2 years(JUCO) and should be in top five 

Vidal Carlin was no fluke as he had a pro career after college...albeit a brief one. In Vito's article, he mentions Carlin's 307 yard game against Arkansas. About 140 of those yards went to the guy that really made him look good for his two years at NT......John Love. Love had 14 receptions in that Arkansas game. AND you can't argue that Carlin and Love surprised them,  because the game was played in late Oct and Ark had plenty of film on them.

Edited by SilverEagle

I've been watching us since 1990, so here's my Top 5

Top 5:

1.) Mitch Maher--great leader, solid decision-maker

2.) Scott Hall--ditto to above, just didn't get to throw the ball because of the Dickster's offense

3.) Scott Davis--got in late on him, saw him play a great game against SMU his senior year, but played down to the competition under Corky

4.) Derek Thompson--HoD MVP, who was very unpredictable, but his top end was usually very good and he did lead our team to its best season since 2003, which are the two best seasons we have probably had since Fry was here in the late 70's.

5.) Jason Mills--see above, but he never played on a solid team here, so his ups and downs probably had a lot to do with brutal schedules, beat up rosters, and subpar facilities.

Honorable mentions: Riley Dodge, Daniel Meager, Gio Vizza, and Woody Wilson

Worst QB: anyone who took a snap in 2014 and 2015--by far the worst QB play I've ever seen us have. I still can't believe how amazingly bad we were at recruiting and developing a QB under McCarney. If it hadn't been for Derek Thompson, I don't think Mac would have 9 games TOTAL in the three years he was our QB under his watch, much less 9 games in 2013 and 18 games in those 3 years from 2011--2013.

• Upvote 1

Jordan Case was better than both Scott Hall and Derek Thompson.

I've been coming to games since 1974 and he is the best I've seen at NT.

Washington was good too, but you cannot compare his passing stats to others.  It wasn't that kind of an offense.

Jordan Case was a tough as hell and a winner.

• Upvote 1