DRC: Breaking news -- (updated) UNT schedules two-game series with Houston

Brett Vito

3 hours ago, greenjoe said:

In Vito I trust 

I thought you said it was  an "April Fools" prank and posted by an unreliable source just days ago. 

I am waiting to hear from all those opposed to this series that gave all the negatives when the news first broke.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I did in fact call the previous thread an April Fool's prank.  Finally, a real live journalist provided what no one else did.  Verification.  

Im good with playing Houston, here and there.  I'll attend each.  

I still wish we could get away from 1-AA teams.  

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Unless Army was just feeling generous, we may have agreed to let them skip out on their last trip to Denton in in 2021 in exchange for agreeing to free up the 2019 date for us.  It might be the way we are compensating them without coming out of pocket.  If so, and I have no info, it seems like it would be a pretty steep price to pay.  

Hopefully, we were able to work out the changes without having to give up the home date, but it wouldn't surprise me if this turns out to be the case.

2 hours ago, Cougar King said:

Cool, a few more easy wins on the schedule.

You might be right, but having seen you lose to Texas state, UTEP, UTSA, and SMU in recent years makes me believe that UNT might just add our names to that list of in-state TX teams to beat y'all.

I like Applewhite a lot and I think he'll do a good job down there at UH before somebody else comes calling from the power conferences.

3 hours ago, Cougar King said:

Cool, a few more easy wins on the schedule.

Thanks I think we need all the wins we can get. I look forward to it. 

I would still rather have Army than Houston or Liberty. There is more national attention with Army. 

I still find this move a little underwhelming. Putting Houston on the schedule isn't going to sell season tickets, and selling tickets is our biggest problem. On the other hand, if Houston is still as good as they've been in two years, and we continue upward trajectory, this game will be fun. If the army series hadn't been canceled for Liberty, I'd like the overall changes more.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

I still find this move a little underwhelming. Putting Houston on the schedule isn't going to sell season tickets, and selling tickets is our biggest problem. On the other hand, if Houston is still as good as they've been in two years, and we continue upward trajectory, this game will be fun. If the army series hadn't been canceled for Liberty, I'd like the overall changes more.

No offense, but what team that will come to Apogee is going to sell season tickets?  Season ticket sales tend to increase fastest when the biggest individual games are going to sell out.  So what opponent is going to do that? 

Your bigger draw Texas/border state teams (UT, aTm, OU, LSU) etc aren't coming to Apogee. 

Your medium draw Texas teams (Tech, Baylor, etc) might sell out, but it's not guaranteed, and definitely not a pre-season guarantee that would drive season ticket sales.  Fans would take a chance on getting them when individual seats go on sale or figure that if it is a sell out, scalper prices would be cheaper than season tickets.  Maybe UNT could sell mini-season ticket packages to get those like UH did to get Louisville tickets last year.

Your medium draw non-Texas P5 teams (Oregon St, Okie St, Louisville) might not come to Apogee, and if they do, no guarantee of sell out because of unfamiliarity with them, even if they are average to above average P5.  Not going to drive season ticket sales even if they bump that game up some.

Your low draw P5 teams (Indiana, Kansas, Virginia)  are unlikely to sell out because of unfamiliarity and lack of traveling opponent's fans. Again maybe an increase in game sales, but not season ticket sales.

Again I say no offense.  Houston has been in the same boat and while the situation has improved, is still in that boat although less than UNT because we have had more recent success on the field and with ticket sales.  Washington State was announced yesterday as a future home and home with Houston.  Washington St is not going to drive UH season ticket sales except maybe to prevent a drop in sales like having another FCS school might cause.  Possible exception if Leach is still coaching there since he's very familiar to UH fans.

• Upvote 1

I understand the disappointment.  If you had an Okie State type announcement, then the UH announcement, you'd be loving both of them.  A P5 and an upper tier G5 would be a major schedule upgrade.  UH is an upgrade over most of your OOC scheduling, but it doesn't meet your hope and expectation level. 

Keep building the program on the field.  Keep building fan support in the stands.  Do that and you'll get closer to what you want (I say it that way because in the current system, us G5 programs will never get what we all want, scheduling equality).

3 hours ago, NTXCoog said:

Fans would take a chance on getting them when individual seats go on sale or figure that if it is a sell out, scalper prices would be cheaper than season tickets. 

You greatly over estimate the cost of our season tickets. 

2 minutes ago, Moobs said:

You greatly over estimate the cost of our season tickets. 

Depends on the opponent.  I already said the UT/LSU/OU etc aren't coming to Apogee where $160+ seats might be common.  Likely its a middle of the road or lower P5.  Those teams have much smaller traveling fan bases, especially to visit a G5 school.  That keeps the scalper market way down.  Unless they want to sit in the end zone, I'm guessing there's not a huge market for middle to lower P5 fans for one game that would get the prices above $160 per ticket

And with a P5 on the schedule, don't be surprised by a season ticket price hike, whether it's a good idea or not.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, NTXCoog said:

Depends on the opponent.  I already said the UT/LSU/OU etc aren't coming to Apogee where $160+ seats might be common.  Likely its a middle of the road or lower P5.  Those teams have much smaller traveling fan bases, especially to visit a G5 school.  That keeps the scalper market way down.  Unless they want to sit in the end zone, I'm guessing there's not a huge market for middle to lower P5 fans for one game that would get the prices above $160 per ticket

And with a P5 on the schedule, don't be surprised by a season ticket price hike, whether it's a good idea or not.

You can get season tickets to UNT for $60.  That's for the whole season.  Not a game.